Jeans (without holes) in main dining room?

Jan 2015 on Jewel they were not turning ANYONE away and we saw it all. Shorts, Tank tops, flip flops and adults wearing super hero and cartoon character costumes! It was bizarre to say the least.

Royal's enforcement of dress code on both normal and formal nights is spotty at best.

On Grandeur last May... they enforced the casual dress code. They turned away a member of our group that had shorts on on a non-formal night. I saw them turn another person away that had on a muscle shirt.

With that being said, as others will report there are many nights they don't enforce it on a ship. As to what ship and what night they enforce it I suppose depends on the luck of the draw and if the particular person working at the front door cares to deal with it or not.

Royal's enforcement of dress code on both normal and formal nights is spotty at best.

On Grandeur last May... they enforced the casual dress code. They turned away a member of our group that had shorts on on a non-formal night. I saw them turn another person away that had on a muscle shirt.

With that being said, as others will report there are many nights they don't enforce it on a ship. As to what ship and what night they enforce it I suppose depends on the luck of the draw and if the particular person working at the front door cares to deal with it or not.

That pretty much sums it up...sadly they've lowered the standards in recent times.

I can recall last year one night we saw about 85-90% of the folks in the main dining room dress up on formal night...but small pockets of other people dressed came to dinner dressed like they just came from mowing the lawn (tank tops & jeans). Some of those were stopped at the door and told their clothing "was not appropriate" for the formal night dining room. Heard some applause from tables on that end of the room as those people left.

It seems they either have it (and enforce it) or they don't. After all, there are other places to eat dressed casual on the ship if folks don't want to conform.

Others have covered the fact that Royal is spotty at best as far as enforcing their written dress codes. The good news is that jeans are allowed per the dress code, so you will be fine. I was happy to see this as I know that shorts are not allowed and I don't want to buy several new pairs of khakis for my 5 year old that he will not wear over the summer and outgrow before next Fall/Winter.

Life Onboard

Print This Page

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

Why not just everybody dress according to the requested attire .... Instead of trying to get away or not get caught or hope RCCL dining room MD doesn't notice that you are not dressed for dinner. OR eat at the buffet! They don't care. JMHO

Guest maddycat
Others have covered the fact that Royal is spotty at best as far as enforcing their written dress codes. The good news is that jeans are allowed per the dress code, so you will be fine. I was happy to see this as I know that shorts are not allowed and I don't want to buy several new pairs of khakis for my 5 year old that he will not wear over the summer and outgrow before next Fall/Winter.

Life Onboard

Print This Page

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

I would think that your 5 year old could wear nice shorts to dinner in the MDR. I really think that the dress code applies to adult cruisers and not young children.

I would think that your 5 year old could wear nice shorts to dinner in the MDR. I really think that the dress code applies to adult cruisers and not young children.

No one expects a 5 yr old to be anything but neat & tidy! At 5 they are at their most charming, enjoy!

The dress code applies to anyone old enough to read it, children other than little ones can wear what they would at home to church or a nice restaurant. Learning about acting & dressing like young ladies & gentlemen is simply good manners.

As always, JMHO ;)

Edited by JVilleGal