transportation IAH to port of houston and back

hlb76

best way to get to our ship with out a huge hassle or costing a ton of money? If there is such things.

We normally rent a car but I see thats not an economical solution this time. Not finding much on shuttles or car services. Hear taxi's are about $100 each way.

Looking for any help/advice.

Sadly there's no simple solution... here's something I clipped from a response I gave to a similar post on an earlier thread...

We stayed at the IAH Marriott and assuming you are staying in a hotel near IAH (not Hobby) private transfers that we looked were the same as or more expensive than taxis. It was $120 for a taxi from IAH to the port for four of us (two adults / two kids) and would have been $150 one way for the NCL transfer ($50 pp but the youngest would have been free). So for two (if there's only two of you) it may be a bit cheaper to use the NCL transfer but then you are on their schedule and need to load and unload at the hotel and the airport just to catch the NCL transfer.

Some say UberX is the cheapest if you use Uber. I don't.

Another option is to do a one day rental with Budget at IAH with drop off in Webster (about a $40 cab ride to the port). Budget doesn't charge a drop fee like Enterprise does. We did the same in reverse on debark day and spent the day in and around Houston before going back to the IAH Marriott.

If you fly in to Hobby I'd just cab (or UberX it).

Hope this helps.

best way to get to our ship with out a huge hassle or costing a ton of money? If there is such things.

We normally rent a car but I see thats not an economical solution this time. Not finding much on shuttles or car services. Hear taxi's are about $100 each way.

Looking for any help/advice.

We sailed out of Houston with Princess in December. We came in 2 days early because I'm an idiot. We stayed at the IAH Homewood Suites, because of the airport shuttle. When it was time to go to the Port, we had Homewood take us back to the airport and took a Princess transfer. If you are using another cruise line, use their airport transfer to the ship. Believe me, use the cruise line airport transfer.

The Port is SO FAR AWAY and in a remote area with a whole lot of nothing going on. You will bleed $$$ out of your eyeballs if you try to taxi it. It's so far away even Super Shuttle doesn't do it.

Now there are some really nice hotels in the port area that have shuttles to the Port-IF you are able to drive to them. Because they are in the same remote area as the Port and a MINIMUM 45 minute drive from IAH -like on a Sunday morning when there's no traffic at all.

I know no one likes to be herded on a bus at the airport for a long ride to the port, but it is the only sane decision if you aren't driving your personal car to the Port.

I hope this helps you. On the plus side, when we took the transfer, Princess took our luggage and we didn't have to mess with it until it showed up outside our stateroom. Slick !

Uber might be cheaper than a taxi, but I'm pretty sure the $50 per person NCL charge is for a ROUNDTRIP ticket. There is no way to get from IAH to the Port of Houston for $25 using a taxi, Limo or Uber! Our Princess transfer was $25 per person because we only used it TO the Port. My husband's parents picked us up after the cruise, so we didn't need roundtrip passage. Roundtrip transfer to the Port was $50 per person. I doubt you can find anything cheaper - I pulled my hair out trying several months ago.

The Galveston Express will take you to Galveston, not the Port of Houston.

Sadly there's no simple solution... here's something I clipped from a response I gave to a similar post on an earlier thread...

We stayed at the IAH Marriott and assuming you are staying in a hotel near IAH (not Hobby) private transfers that we looked were the same as or more expensive than taxis. It was $120 for a taxi from IAH to the port for four of us (two adults / two kids) and would have been $150 one way for the NCL transfer ($50 pp but the youngest would have been free). So for two (if there's only two of you) it may be a bit cheaper to use the NCL transfer but then you are on their schedule and need to load and unload at the hotel and the airport just to catch the NCL transfer.

Another option is to do a one day rental with Budget at IAH with drop off in Webster (about a $40 cab ride to the port). Budget doesn't charge a drop fee like Enterprise does. We did the same in reverse on debark day and spent the day in and around Houston before going back to the IAH Marriott.

Hope this helps.

We über-ed to the airport to pick up the ship transfer because we missed the Homestead shuttle and didn't want to wait for it to get back for another run. The uber vehicle didn't have room in the trunk for all our luggage (3 people) so we rode to the airport, which was only 3 miles away, with 2 pcs of carry on baggage in our laps. That would have been pretty uncomfortable in the 1/2 hour drive from Hobby to the Port. And the 3 mile ride was over $10. That's not cheap, just convenient. My son and husband went to Humble Mall, which was just under 10 miles from the Homewood Suites we stayed at. He paid $18 for that ride.

It was good to see your info on Enterprise and Webster. I will remember it. Thanks.

We are Flying in the night before and staying at a Hampton Inn in Deer Park and renting from Enterprise (Pick up at IAH) and dropping off at Deer Park Enterprise location the next morning. The Enterprise location is 1/2 block from Hampton in Deer Park. Rental car for 24 hrs is $52.00 and taxi the next morning should be under $25.00

Uber might be cheaper than a taxi, but I'm pretty sure the $50 per person NCL charge is for a ROUNDTRIP ticket. There is no way to get from IAH to the Port of Houston for $25 using a taxi, Limo or Uber! Our Princess transfer was $25 per person because we only used it TO the Port. My husband's parents picked us up after the cruise, so we didn't need roundtrip passage. Roundtrip transfer to the Port was $50 per person. I doubt you can find anything cheaper - I pulled my hair out trying several months ago.

The Galveston Express will take you to Galveston, not the Port of Houston.

NCL quoted us $50 per person per direction for the shuttle (not round trip, one way) but they did say the toddler under three was free so it would have cost us $150 as a family each direction.

NCL quoted us $50 per person per direction for the shuttle (not round trip, one way) but they did say the toddler under three was free so it would have cost us $150 as a family each direction.

Thats not too shabby I might see about that. I hate shuttles but it sounds like a lot less work and I like less work. Wonder if I can do a one way? We have a late flight (330pm) so we debated doing the NCL tour of Houston so help kill time or renting a car ourselves.

We are Flying in the night before and staying at a Hampton Inn in Deer Park and renting from Enterprise (Pick up at IAH) and dropping off at Deer Park Enterprise location the next morning. The Enterprise location is 1/2 block from Hampton in Deer Park. Rental car for 24 hrs is $52.00 and taxi the next morning should be under $25.00

I am not willing to pay a $100 drop fee to pick up at the airport and return near the cruise port. Budget has not drop fee so may look further into that.

We're sailing on the Jade later this month. Uber and a local taxi company both quoted me about $50 each way from Hobby Airport to the Port in Pasadena, TX. That is 1/3 the price of the NCL transfer for the three of us.

IAH is futher than Hobby is what I am learning the hard way. Yet flights into IAH where way cheaper than Hobby when we booked.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.. I have never uber'ed before so I think I dont want to learn on this trip.

I knew there was a budget semi close but $40 cab ride is a little hefty - yet all options are looking hefty.

Will be fore sure checking our what NCL has to offer even as much as I hate shuttles it seems easy!!

We have a late flight (330pm) so we debated doing the NCL tour of Houston so help kill time or renting a car ourselves.

We did that for our flight back. It was a little interesting (I finally got to see the Astrodome!) but the biggest reason we took it was the same reason you're thinking about it: it kills a few hours before the flight leaves and it's still cheaper than a taxi.

To get from our hotel near IAH to the port, we took a limo from Execucar that we booked through Delta's website to get the Skymiles. Pricing it out it was nearly the same cost as a cab, but it was a guaranteed flat rate through them and obviously a much nicer ride.

I am not paying a drop fee with Enterprise. It is a pick up at IAH and drop at Enterprise location in Deer Park Texas. It is just a 24 hour rental fee. $52.00 total for mid size.

If that's the case, that's great news because it means Enterprise has eliminated that crazy $100 drop fee.

I am not paying a drop fee with Enterprise. It is a pick up at IAH and drop at Enterprise location in Deer Park Texas. It is just a 24 hour rental fee. $52.00 total for mid size.

I will check again. I checked a few weeks back and there was a drop fee.

I just check budget again with my employee discount and Its like $20 for a car over night. Pick up at IAH and return in Webster. That with a $40 cab fair sounds much more reasonable. I will talk to my hubby and see how he feels as he will be the driving then dropping us off at the port and returning the car on his own. I think it would be great. Post cruise is a about double but thats OK too.

Depending on the size of your group, it's possible that you can get a reasonable price from these guys:

http://galveston-shuttle.com/

But it's probably more expensive for a couple. I think it only adds up to savings when you have a large group. Oh well.

Galveston Express is really good -- IF you're going to Galveston. But the OP is going to Houston's Bayport terminal.

We did that for our flight back. It was a little interesting (I finally got to see the Astrodome!) but the biggest reason we took it was the same reason you're thinking about it: it kills a few hours before the flight leaves and it's still cheaper than a taxi.

To get from our hotel near IAH to the port, we took a limo from Execucar that we booked through Delta's website to get the Skymiles. Pricing it out it was nearly the same cost as a cab, but it was a guaranteed flat rate through them and obviously a much nicer ride.

I'm not expecting a ton from the tour but about anything beats the inside of an airport for hours on end. Can I ask about what time the tour started and when it was done?

by golly your right... I just did a mock booking and no drop fees! I love this change!! hope it stays or maybe it was just due to my corporate discount??

Any clue on what a taxi ride is from Deer Park to Bayport? or better yet do they shuttle?