Venice sail-away?

canadarocks

I've booked us a balcony cabin on the port side of Deck 7 on the Eurodam. Will we get the stunning view of the sail away from Venice there, or should we be higher up and on deck for a more panoramic view?

Also, about how long does the memorable part of the Sail Away last? (trying to decide about booking the Pinnacle Grill that evening)

The higher you go, the further and more you will see. Also, many ships play music to set the mood, and you may not hear it from your veranda. It takes about A half hour to pull out. It truly is s beautiful memorable sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venice is magical for me and the sail away via the Giudecca Canal is really special. We attended the sail away party on Deck 9 aft (Seaview Pool area) and watched Venice fade into the distance until we had to get ready for dinner.......

When we sailed in 2014 it took about 90 min from the pier to exiting from the lagoon. It took about 40-45 min from the pier to St Mark's Square. St Mark's will be on your port side, but there's much more to see, I recommend the bow (even though a bit hot in July) or a higher deck. The best part is after leaving the pier, about 20 min, and then the next 30-40 min spent sailing down the Giudecca canal, passing the Grand Canal, St Mark's and the Arsenale. However we had to back out and turn around, if Eurodam is docked in the right direction it would be quicker.

Edited by Laurino

Deck 7 port side will be good, but deck 10 alongside the Lido pool roof will be better, and deck 12 on top of the Tamarind/Silk Den will be best IMO. However, to get up on top of the Tam you must climb two flights of stairs starting on the Panorama deck.

When we did this on Nieuw Amsterdam in 2012, there was narration as we went down the Giudecca Canal, and although we were on the Promenade Deck portside and could hear, we could not see the places he was describing on the starboard side. Get out and move around! EM

One of our significant memories of sailing out of Venice was listening to the recording of "Time to say good-bye" by Bocelli -and the tears rolling down our cheeks. My friend then died more than 13 years ago - and my husband and I have sailed out several times in similar circumstances.....but what a WONDERFUL memory for me of a dear friend and mentor...........Please; enjoy YOUR memories. A

Frankly, you cant go wrong on any side of the ship. Sailing in and out were just the very best. We did not have the benefit of mood music, we were on NCL, but just as spectacular with or with the music. One suggestion if this is your home port, wake up early enough for your return to Venice. You might loose a bit of sleep, but you will never regret it.

We took a TA cruise from Venice in 2011. We were late in departing and because we had a comp dinner we missed part of a very special departure port. If I had to do it again, we would have skipped or try to reschedule the comp dinner.

One suggestion if this is your home port, wake up early enough for your return to Venice. You might loose a bit of sleep, but you will never regret it.

We are so fortunate with this itinerary, because our sail away is at 4:00pm and our sail in at the end of our cruise is at 1:00pm (for our overnight before disembarkation). So we get the best of both worlds! :cool:

Everyone was out on the upper decks taking pictures of St Marks square. All of the people in St Marks were taking pictures of us. Maybe we all just want to be somewhere else??