Brochures by mail

dibati2

As you know, the CEO of any company is not responsible for their mailing list. All they can do is forward an email to the appropriate person.

I didn't know that. I assumed the CEO of every company was responsible for every aspect of the company's operation. And to be clear, FDR came on the thread about unwanted brochures, provided his email address, and offered to fix the mailing list problem. I guess he didn't know that his employees had the right to ignore his requests. Regent must have an unusual corporate culture.

yet when Regent markets more aggressively, they shouldn't do it because the other lines don't.

Poor Regent. Just can't win.

So I guess you are suggesting that we should not complain when Regent sends us massive amounts of unwanted mail & ignores our efforts to stop it? Should we just thank Regent for the opportunity to burn calories by carrying this mail to the trash & for providing full employment opportunities for garbage companies?

So I guess you are suggesting that we should not complain when Regent sends us massive amounts of unwanted mail & ignores our efforts to stop it? Should we just thank Regent for the opportunity to burn calories by carrying this mail to the trash & for providing full employment opportunities for garbage companies?

As a point of reading comprehension, nowhere did I say that anyone didn't have the right to complain - I was merely pointing out the irony that I found in the statement. People here have had the tendency to slam Regent for doing what other lines do, but here they criticize Regent for not doing what other cruise lines do. I found it amusing, that's all. No need to get snippy...

As a point of reading comprehension, nowhere did I say that anyone didn't have the right to complain - I was merely pointing out the irony that I found in the statement. People here have had the tendency to slam Regent for doing what other lines do, but here they criticize Regent for not doing what other cruise lines do. I found it amusing, that's all. No need to get snippy...

I apologize for my lack of reading comprehension & for being snippy. I am just unable to grasp the irony or the amusement.

UUNetBill : Once again, thank you for being the voice of reason. If this were the worst problem that any of us had, how lucky we would be! As you indicated, this is not only a Regent problem. While we receive very little "snail mail" or brochures, some companies send them out for no apparent reason. Last year I started receiving copies of "Seventeen" magazine. After having a good laugh, I contacted them and it took 3-4 months before the magazines stopped arriving.

I'm still trying to get my head about people that do not read Cruise Critic would not know how to try and get off of a mailing list.

Guess this debate will go on until there is another Regent-bashing thread. Isn't it interesting that the posters that have a real problem (gastroenteritis on the Mariner) are giving kudos to Regent.

Within the past hour the mail just came to my office and I received three pieces of mail from Regent - the mail person laughed when she put it on my desk and made sure that they were on top of the pile because it has become somewhat of a joke of the amount of mail I receive from Regent!

My office address was only used once with Regent when back in the day, about nine years ago when we were using Regent to book our trips and we had our tickets, etc sent here because we were out of town and didn't want the package roaming somewhere.

I am sure the same three pieces of will be at my other three addresses, maybe plus some others from Oceania.

gnomie :)

I'm still trying to get my head about people that do not read Cruise Critic would not know how to try and get off of a mailing list.

If people who are reading CC and following all the suggestions provided are unable to stop the mail, how is someone who doesn't have this information suppose to succeed?

I personally do not want to stop all the mail - we enjoy, rely and save the the main catalogs and refer to it constantly - it is the small mailings that are annoying. Now, if they are advertising a "true sale" to entice bookings that is one thing, but to send out numerous mailings with the same information over and over again seems to me to be a huge waste of money. These mailings are not cheap - the printing is on better than medium quality paper and all the costs associated with it add up to real money and we all know where that money is coming from.

If people who are reading CC and following all the suggestions provided are unable to stop the mail, how is someone who doesn't have this information suppose to succeed?

Thank you Gnomie

I personally do not want to stop all the mail - we enjoy, rely and save the the main catalogs and refer to it constantly - it is the small mailings that are annoying. Now, if they are advertising a "true sale" to entice bookings that is one thing, but to send out numerous mailings with the same information over and over again seems to me to be a huge waste of money. These mailings are not cheap - the printing is on better than medium quality paper and all the costs associated with it add up to real money and we all know where that money is coming from.

IMO, most intelligent adults know how to contact companies to stop unwanted mail. This does not mean that they will be successful in their endeavor to get off of the mailing list. However, this will happen whether or not you read CC. That was my point.

Not sure what you mean by a "true sale". While I do not get mailings from Regent, I do get almost daily emails. There is always new information contained in these emails. I can tell from the subject whether or not I want to read them.

I think that we have all learned one important thing from your posts on this thread........ do not give Regent (or any other company) multiple addresses. The same thing applies to email addresses. No matter what I do or whom I contact, I get two emails from a couple of companies that I do business with - one with my old and one with my newer email address. As has been said, Regent is far from the only company that sends out a lot of email.

IMO, most intelligent adults know how to contact companies to stop unwanted mail. This does not mean that they will be successful in their endeavor to get off of the mailing list. However, this will happen whether or not you read CC. That was my point.

This comment seems to indicate that lots of Regent customers are unintelligent adults because so many are unable to get the barrage of mail to stop. Further, Regent must be aware of this fact in insuring that, year after year, so may remain unsuccessful in their endeavor to get off the mailing list. IMO too funny.

This comment seems to indicate that lots of Regent customers are unintelligent adults because so many are unable to get the barrage of mail to stop. Further, Regent must be aware of this fact in insuring that, year after year, so may remain unsuccessful in their endeavor to get off the mailing list. IMO too funny.

Sorry, but you seem to have misunderstood my post. The point was that it is not necessary to read Cruise Critic in order to know how to get off of a mailing list. Also, there are many companies that have mailing lists that are difficult to be removed from. Hope this is a bit clearer!

Whether Regent or other companies intentionally keep people on the mailing list is unknown. I agree that this subject is "too funny" in certain ways but not sure that we are laughing for the same reason. Again, with all of the issues in the world, for me, this is not one to get overly upset about. While annoying to some people, it is less so to others.

UUNetBill : Once again, thank you for being the voice of reason. If this were the worst problem that any of us had, how lucky we would be! As you indicated, this is not only a Regent problem. While we receive very little "snail mail" or brochures, some companies send them out for no apparent reason. Last year I started receiving copies of "Seventeen" magazine. After having a good laugh, I contacted them and it took 3-4 months before the magazines stopped arriving.

Guess this debate will go on until there is another Regent-bashing thread. Isn't it interesting that the posters that have a real problem (gastroenteritis on the Mariner) are giving kudos to Regent.

The reason many of these threads keep going on is because some people can't seem to resist trying to minimize or negate other people's complaints about Regent. As long as someone keeps trying to argue that something isn't a problem or shouldn't be a problem or is not a real problem, it invites others to disagree and respond.

And so the threads go on and on and the complaints about Regent get more and more air time.

Another brochure today....that makes three in ten days. I did e-mail Mr. Moore and I guess it takes forever to get off the list. The e-mails are frequent and today I listed them as junk. At least I can control those.

I did open the expensive slick brochure advertising falsely free unlimited excursions in Alaska. How about some truth in advertising such bunk? This is just like Seaborne telling their clients that the MDR is open for breakfast and lunch everyday. Maybe yes and maybe no.

Edited by Suite Travels

Fizz, I am glad I am not the only one. I am going to save them in a box for three months and ship them to Regent so they can see how ridiculous this is to the attention of Mike Moore.

This is getting out of hand and my mail lady thinks we sail Regent exclusively.

Fizz, I am glad I am not the only one. I am going to save them in a box for three months and ship them to Regent so they can see how ridiculous this is to the attention of Mike Moore.

This is getting out of hand and my mail lady thinks we sail Regent exclusively.

It is interesting that many years ago, our first wonderful cruise was on the old Norway and we were hooked. I'm surprised we are not deluged with NCL stuff also.... but not a one. Are you allowed to return this stuff at their expense....I'm interested....and we very much like Regent, having started with Radisson. It's always the irritation factor.

Another friggin brochure today. This is four in sixteen days. I have e-mailed.....called Regent to no avail. The Regent e-mails go to my spam folder.

Now I am going to collect them and send all of them to Mr. Moore when I have about 25 which should not take too long to collect. With a strong letter to cease and desist. Seems no other way to opt out of this junk as I can with other companies that take me off their mailing list. Grrrr

While I understand the frustration with receiving too many brochures, for those of you that think that the brochures are depleting trees, I need to post. We live in Washington state where there are millions of beautiful trees. Unfortunately, the trees kill many people each year because they become overgrown and topple over on cars, people and homes every winter. This has been a particularly wet and windy winter and there are toppled trees everywhere. This is mother nature and is one reason why trees are cut down to make paper.

Not trying to make an excuse for Regent but want to assure posters that there is not a lack of trees in the U.S.

While I understand the frustration with receiving too many brochures, for those of you that think that the brochures are depleting trees, I need to post. We live in Washington state where there are millions of beautiful trees. Unfortunately, the trees kill many people each year because they become overgrown and topple over on cars, people and homes every winter. This has been a particularly wet and windy winter and there are toppled trees everywhere. This is mother nature and is one reason why trees are cut down to make paper.

Not trying to make an excuse for Regent but want to assure posters that there is not a lack of trees in the U.S.

I really do HOPE that this was meant as a sarcastic remark

I really do HOPE that this was meant as a sarcastic remark

Nope - this is our reality and the reality of people that live in beautiful, green states with millions of trees. We try to protect our trees but human lives trump (excuse the pun) trees. While this is not a reason for Regent to overwhelm their customers with brochures, it is also not a reason to stop. The reason to stop is simply because their customers are requesting it.

There is a job listing on the Regent careers own website for an "environmental officer". Perhaps this person can help.

Yes - they do have such a position but it is an onboard position and does not seem to have anything to do with mailing of brochures. Here is the description of the position http://www.rssc.com/employment/employmentposition.aspx?Id=12b9284e-21aa-4834-8924-04617ae198fd

Edited by Travelcat2