National Holiday on May 1st

I asked this question months ago but feel it is more timely now that we are about a month away from cruising.

Our cruise disembarks in Barcelona on April 30th. What impact does Spain's May Day/National Holiday have upon tourism that weekend? I understand May Day will be celebrated both on May 1st and 2nd because the actual day lands on a Sunday. Any advice or warnings?

Thanks!

Are you staying in Barcelona, or flying out that day?

A few years ago, we were there several days before May 1. We did a ship's tour around the city, which was excellent. However, vehicle traffic and crowds were overwhelming. Pedestrians were shoulder-to-shoulder. We did not go to Las Ramblas, but reports came back that people who did changed their minds and returned to the ship. Our European tablemates confirmed that the holiday is a big deal all over Europe.

I asked this question months ago but feel it is more timely now that we are about a month away from cruising.

Our cruise disembarks in Barcelona on April 30th. What impact does Spain's May Day/National Holiday have upon tourism that weekend? I understand May Day will be celebrated both on May 1st and 2nd because the actual day lands on a Sunday. Any advice or warnings?

Thanks!

Buses will run as a Festivos (Bank Holiday) service. Taxi rates will be at a Festivos rate (slightly higher than normal rate). Most major shops such as El Corte Ingles will be shut but many small, privately owned shops will open. La Boqueria market and many museums will most likely be shut on the Monday.

Edited by campolady