Has anyone stayed in an inside stateroom with a family of four?

mengel246

We are traveling on the Getaway next month and my husband booked an inside stateroom. This is our first time on a cruise and we will be with our very young children (3 and 5).

I'm trying to stay positive about this but it seems extremely tight and extremely small for four people and I'm almost having anxiety thinking about it. The bed situation makes me a little uncomfortable (idea of my 3 year old being high up on a bunk bed) as I have no idea if the upper bunks handle adult weight). Am I overreacting and it'll all be ok or would you recommend looking to up to something else?

For what it's worth, I'm assuming the reason he chose this particular room is his notorious streak of cheapness (he even joked his new years resolution was going to work on being not so cheap).

Thanks for the help and guidance.

It will be very tight with 4. But doable and if it's what your cheap hubby says you can afford, lol, you'll still have a good time. I've been in an inside room with just my 10 year old and we had plenty of space. There's a good amount of storage space. You will be fine. Enjoy your vacation!

PS the bunks do hold adult weight and are right over top the bottom. So you'll be able to figure it out.

Let me add since this is your first cruise, All state rooms are very tight and much smaller than what you'll be used to with hotels. A balcony would give you more space but honestly only a suite is going to give you plenty of extra beds. Like I said, you will be just fine it's a Ton of fun!

You might consider splitting yours and your husband's beds, so that it's more like 2 bunks on each side. Then you would have a walkway down the middle, and it would seem bigger. We did this with 3 in an inside cabin once, and it made it feel much less crowded.

It is subjective of course, but I have done an inside with my two teen age daughters and my husband. We didn't mind it at all. Yes, close quarters, but it is family, we don't have any problems. I book balcony rooms when the price is right, but I will not pay a lot more for a balcony, it just isn't worth it to me. Some ships have family inside rooms for a bit more money, you can perhaps have a bit more elbow room.... something to check on. As far as the Pullman beds, I cruised 3 to an inside with my sisters, the Pullman beds can be used for adults, no problem. Maybe not a tall/large adult, but it worked just fine for us! My teens actually prefer the Pullmans. They have their own reading light as do the other beds so they can be in their own little world up there. I am unsure if all ships have little lights up by the Pullman beds, but so far that has been the case for us.

Whatever works out, I hope you and your family have a great time!

We are traveling on the Getaway next month and my husband booked an inside stateroom. This is our first time on a cruise and we will be with our very young children (3 and 5).

I'm trying to stay positive about this but it seems extremely tight and extremely small for four people and I'm almost having anxiety thinking about it. The bed situation makes me a little uncomfortable (idea of my 3 year old being high up on a bunk bed) as I have no idea if the upper bunks handle adult weight). Am I overreacting and it'll all be ok or would you recommend looking to up to something else?

For what it's worth, I'm assuming the reason he chose this particular room is his notorious streak of cheapness (he even joked his new years resolution was going to work on being not so cheap).

Another option is to check the website and see what the current prices are for your sailing. A lot of times outside or balcony rates drop to what you may have paid for your inside cabin and you could upgrade to the comparable priced category for nothing. I've already done that for my sailing next month. Started out in an obstructed view outside and have a balcony on deck 10 for no extra $$ after 2 upgrades. Even having a porthole or window would make the space seem not so closed in even if you don't have any additional beds. If you booked with a travel agent, they would likely need to call.

Another option is to call the upsell number when you get about 2 weeks out to see what kind of deals you could get. I understand upsell tries to get people into suites first and within the last week they will work deals on balconies. You call the upsell number yourself not your TA (if you used one). I would suggest you search this thread for upsell to understand it better. People have gotten some great deals this way.

Just a thought, regardless you'll have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm also with a the poster who won't pay too much more for a balcony. I've been in balconys, suites, and inside rooms. I always have a good time. It's wierd but I always sleep the best in the insides. I'm not sure why.

First of all you will have a great time no matter what. It's the best way in my opinion to travel with little ones. Having a balcony is a plus because it does give your husband and you a little place to sit at night when the kids are asleep. But if your kids go to the kids club, well you can have that time together then as well. Really a cruise vacation is such a great experience for the whole family. If that extra money you would paid for the balcony could be used for other things (cough make him buy you a nice piece of jewelry) then I would not do it. How they handle space in a cabin is amazing. Watch the prices too...you never know if you can get a good upgrade. You are going to have the best time!! P.S. (put the 5 year old on the bunk)

It will be fine! I've cruised in an inside cabin with my husband and our two teenage kids. We had the beds split so it was like two bunk beds. If you're worried about the younger kid falling you could have the beds on the floor put together and then one adult could sleep with the younger child. However, I predict the kids will want to sleep in the upper berths.

Enjoy your cruise!

When the kids were younger, we sailed with the grandparents and had connecting rooms which made things easier...two washrooms, two tvs, etc....

Now I'd book the inside watch the prices and see if you can upgrade later on...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This is just a thought, but do your kids still nap? If so, ask your DH to consider how much fun it will be to stay in a pitch black inside for the hours they nap during the day. Cause having done that (except in a balcony) last year, I'd recommend trading off who gets "free time each day and who gets to play "sit in the dark trying not to make noise" game.

Might convince him for at least a OV. And keep checking prices

We had 4 people (myself and 3 kids) and got 2 cabins, it was well worth it. 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs, 2 balconies, and one room could be used for those who wanted to rest or on the 1 day when my son was sick. Just a thought, even if you got 2 interiors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did an inside for our cruise on the Pearl. My boys were 12 and 10 at the time. It was close quarters but we had a lot of fun and made some great memories. The cot that comes out for the 4th person can be raised or lowered. My youngest liked having it lowered and made his own little "nest" while the eldest loved having the top bunk and his own reading light.

As for the room being pitch black, we left the bathroom light on with the door open a crack to have enough light.

This cruise I was able to upgrade and we are sailing in a balcony for less than I originally booked an OV.

Whatever you end up doing you will have a great time and make some great family memories!

I've done 5 in an inside when my kids were grade school age. While 2 rooms would have been nice, it was what we could afford. I'd rather do that then cruise less. I've never gone on cruise with younger kids. Napping may be issue, unless they can nap with a few lights on. Or one of the parents likes to nap too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

he even joked his new years resolution was going to work on being not so cheap.

Well... imagine how delighted he will be when he discovers that you have booked a second cabin nearby!

Happy wife, happy life.

Edited by triptolemus

This is just a thought, but do your kids still nap? If so, ask your DH to consider how much fun it will be to stay in a pitch black inside for the hours they nap during the day. Cause having done that (except in a balcony) last year, I'd recommend trading off who gets "free time each day and who gets to play "sit in the dark trying not to make noise" game.

Might convince him for at least a OV. And keep checking prices

Hah this is the exact argument I've had! They both do nap still. My 5 year old is starting kindergarten in the fall, where she won't be able to, but on weekends and days they are in nursery school part-time they both nap. So funny you brought this up.

I'm not sure about the Getaway, but I've been researching the Pearl since that is the ship we are going on and for 4 in a room there aren't 2 pulldown bunks. Instead there is one pull down bunk and then one trundle bed that pops up from under one of the beds on the floor. Kind of like a cot that is placed in between the two beds on the floor. So on the ground you basically have 3 beds in a row touching each other. And then one pull down.

If I were you I would probably make DH sleep on the pull down and you can sleep with the kids in the regular beds!

Maggie

Edited by maggieworkman

Hah this is the exact argument I've had! They both do nap still. My 5 year old is starting kindergarten in the fall, where she won't be able to, but on weekends and days they are in nursery school part-time they both nap. So funny you brought this up.

Honestly, last year with our 3 and 6 yo and the napping, was the main reason I'm going for a 2 br suite this year. It's my vacation too, and I want to stay up past 8 pm. I also have ZERO desire to sit in a dark room for hours. The balcony made it bearable, but the balcony door was right by their bed, so it was hard to use without waking them up.

We found the balcony to be a sanity saver with a toddler. It's different with older kids, they can spend a bit of time in kids club, and don't have to be "eye-balled" all the time like a toddler does...it can get exhausting. The balcony was a safe haven, especially in the evening after an early bedtime because the kid will be exhausted by all the activity during the day...even with a nap.

I think now we could do an inside with a 13 year old...but been spoiled by the balconies and find it hard to go back. Never had an inside, but did have portal, with just the two of us and it was fine.

The bunk beds are not that high...not like a regular bunk bed...and there is a railing...they could actually share the bottom if you are concerned. My daughter was 5 last time she and her cousin shared the bunks. They both wanted top so traded off 3 and 3...then both slept in top together the 4th LOL.

You'll be fine. Many families cruise this way (mine included). When our kids were younger, my husband loved all the extra sleep he got from going to bed when the kids did. I preferred to read. You'll get creative. One of you naps with the kids while the other does an activity or is by the pool. You sit in the hallway drinking a glass of wine in the evening instead of going out. The kids will talk about the cool Pullman beds and then before you know it, your vacation is over and you'll be back to the reality of not having someone else do all the cooking and cleaning and you'll long for the days in that inside room together.