Any recent cruisers to Amber Cove

Any number of bug spray products, with DEET, will work. There is always some bug issue on the islands. Go have fun and keep well sprayed. Unless you are in the danger criteria, I wouldn't worry. We are going to the Panama Canal in October. Who knows what's waiting down there. Deep Woods OFF and good to go.

We were in Amber Cove last week. This was our second time there with the first time being in October. In October we did the excursion into Puerto Plata. Last week we stayed at the water park all day and had a wonderful time. The water was perfect. There was plenty of free chairs. Number.las were available for $8. The Zipline is $12 for all day. Several more shops were open than was open in October. Highly recommend a day at the park if relaxation and sunning is on your list.

We did Amber Cove in January on Valor. Gorgeous port. We picked an excursion through Carnival VIP Serenity beach all inclusive. It was nice but we could have easily be happy hanging around the port. Lots nice places to relax and no extra cost except drinks or food.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...

Prior to visiting I had read some of the comments of the area being run down with 2 star hotels. This was not my impression, in fact, I was impressed with the port and I am not the type of person who is easily impressed.

Upon arriving, on the left you see very colorful, clean, Caribbean resort buildings on the right you see beautiful lush green mountains and straight ahead the pier with a picturesque port area. Clean, friendly, spacious. Nice large pool, a couple restaurants, a lookout with bar and restaurant, unique shops. The only repetitive shop was a DI. Transportation area also is new, easy to navigate. Not much within walking distance other than maybe the resort next door. We had a wonderful day. Ate local cuisine, shopped, had a drink up at the mountain bar, swam in the pool. We are there again on Magic in two weeks. Looking forward to it!

I was in Amber Cove on the Valor in January with DH, my mom and dad. DH and dad did the Mega Truck excursion and mom and I did the dolphin encounter at Ocean World. I did a photo review of my cruise. Amber Cove pictures start on thread #34. The link to my review is in my signature.

My DH and I ported at Amber Cove end of May and it was great! The port itself was very neat and clean (like Disney World) and we walked around the pool, which looked very nice. We didn't partake of the pool this time because we did the two reef catamaran snorkeling excursion through Carnival and loved it! Fun crew that entertained us, saw tons of fish and yummy rum punch! Loved it so much we booked the same excursion for our next cruise this November:D.

We were there in February aboard Breeze. As someone mentioned, there were some empty stores like the place is still pretty new. We did a beach excursion but did take some pictures before going back aboard. Look near the bottom of this webpage.... Breeze Cruise. BTW, my wife especially liked the jewelry available at this store which was reasonably priced. Jewelry Store. She has gotten many comments about it since.

We were there last month. We split a taxi with another couple. I think it was $70 total for the taxi. We went into puerto plata and a beach for about 4 hours total. All in all it was a pretty good day.

• 2 weeks later...
For the spring sailors; has anyone returned from Amber Cove and have any thing to share about excursions? I am most interested in the snorkeling trips.

My DH and I did the two stop catamaran through Carnival, loved it! I wrote a review on Carnivals excursion website.

She recently wrote a review of her cruise with Amber Cove being one of the ports. Gave Iguana Mama great reviews, pictures too. Don't know how to post the link but she was on the Splendor. Hope this helps. :)

Sailing in April mainly for the new Amber Cove and Dominican Republic but reviews and experiences are scarce. Any recent cruisers shed some light on if all shops are open, excursions (non beach resort) or in town happenings? Thanks

i was there in march. about half of the stores in the shopping area were open. if you want to stay in the shopping area they have the large pool with plenty of chairs around it and you can also rent a cabana that sits out in the water.....no beach in the shopping area unlike mahogany bay. we did the excursion to the iberostar resort and had a great time. nice beaches, good food, plenty of alcohol, and good internet reception.

I was on one of the first cruises to Amber cove last November, and I have to say that is is one of my least favorite cruise ports to date. And i am easily impressed, I love everywhere I go. However, I will say that Amber Cove is one of the VERY few places that I didn't like.

I REALLY loved the 27 waterfalls tour through IguauaMama. It was tons of fun, and I surely won't forget it. The hike up to the top was very picturesque, and once we reached the falls it was all elation from there. I really loved the high jump as well. SUCH a great experience. This made me fall in love with the inner Dominican Republic and it's people, and I go back next month on a landtrip to Santiago.

The dislike comes in with the whole principle of the port. On the drive to/from the falls, you see people literally living in cardboard houses with very little to eat and drink. But then you pull into the 15-foot-high fenced-in port, with a large resort style pool, tons of shops which are air-conditioned, ziplines, and alcohol galore. I understand that these ports are money-makers for the cruise lines, but are you really experiencing the Dominican Republic? I got back and I couldn't help but feel bad for all of the people sitting at the pool missing out on the beautiful country. While no one wants to look at the blatant poverty, I do not think it is very fair to sit on a cruise ship day resort built on their land, take in the sun in their area, and not bother recognizing them or their culture. The port took away space for the locals and is causing disruption to their lives, as there were numerous protests during building and during the first few cruise ship callings. There is nothing to do in the port besides shop at the cruise line stores, get drunk, and sit by the pool, which to be is an additional sea day in my opinion, and I cruise for the ports.

Grand Turk and Mahogany Bay are similar, and I don't like them very much either. I always use them for their free beaches, and Amber Cove lacks the beach, so it is a turnoff port-wise.

My recommendation: Do the 27 Waterfalls tour, or another cultural immersion tour to Puerto Plata, or do SOMETHING. Experience the beautiful northeast Dominican Republic, look into the culture, interact with the people. Just don't spend any time in the port, it is a completely wasted day.

Edited by OceansOfTravels

We are doing one of the all-inclusive beach excursions in September, called La Casa En la Playa. There are 3 or 4 different all-inclusives available and this one had good reviews. :)