Any recent cruisers to Amber Cove

Sailing in April mainly for the new Amber Cove and Dominican Republic but reviews and experiences are scarce. Any recent cruisers shed some light on if all shops are open, excursions (non beach resort) or in town happenings? Thanks

We're going there in May, and I, too, have been searching for passenger reviews. Even the excursions offered through Carnival have very little in the way of reviews. Unlike other ports, people don't seem to have a whole lot to say (yet) about Amber Cove.

I would love more feedback from cruisers who have experienced AC. Considering that it is a new port, I would think there would be more chatter on the boards. Ports of Call is minimal and I'm hoping there will be a cruise review (or two:D) that includes AC in it's ports.

Inquiring minds want to know:rolleyes:!

Edited by momonthego17

My husband and I were there in Jan. It was the best port we visited. We took a Carnival tour to a farm that was also a rum factory. We had lunch there that was really good. The people were so nice and friendly. The place is beautiful. We want to return there.

tigercat

I stayed in Puerto Plata nearby Amber Cove before Amber Cove was built. I didn't like the 2 star hotels that lined the dark sand PP beach and ugly gray Atlantic Ocean. I was one of the first to go to the Sea World like Ocean World park.

I looked at the drawings and plans for the Amber Cove mall, and it looks like any other Carnival Corp Cookie Cutter shopping corral like Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay, and Cozumel. If you like those experiences, you will probably like Amber Cove. If you are not a shopping person like me, you may not like this mall. I understand it has a swimming pool and no beach, and I just love the aqua blue Caribbean white powder sand beaches. Alas, not Amber Cove.

I liked La Romana and have stayed nearby in Dreams, as well as many resorts in the Punta Cana area and I like the DR customs and people. I just don't like the Atlantic side of the isle, which is where Carnival built their new port.

My husband and I were there in Jan. It was the best port we visited. We took a Carnival tour to a farm that was also a rum factory. We had lunch there that was really good. The people were so nice and friendly. The place is beautiful. We want to return there.

tigercat

I stayed in Puerto Plata nearby Amber Cove before Amber Cove was built. I didn't like the 2 star hotels that lined the dark sand PP beach and ugly gray Atlantic Ocean. I was one of the first to go to the Sea World like Ocean World park.

I looked at the drawings and plans for the Amber Cove mall, and it looks like any other Carnival Corp Cookie Cutter shopping corral like Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay, and Cozumel. If you like those experiences, you will probably like Amber Cove. If you are not a shopping person like me, you may not like this mall. I understand it has a swimming pool and no beach, and I just love the aqua blue Caribbean white powder sand beaches. Alas, not Amber Cove.

I liked La Romana and have stayed nearby in Dreams, as well as many resorts in the Punta Cana area and I like the DR customs and people. I just don't like the Atlantic side of the isle, which is where Carnival built their new port.

Thank you both for your insights. Only place I've been in DR is La Romana and the port didn't do much for me, but the Anani Beach Club was fine, just a far bus ride away. I felt the beach there wasn't that great, but it was very relaxing.

It will be interesting to check out AC!

Edited by momonthego17

Evandbob

Thanks for your experiences. Is it possible to wonder around town? Some reading states that it isn't suggested to do so and that some cans are not advised. Our first trip to a new port is to do a land tour and get the lay of the land and on return visit do possibly an excursion.

Evandbob

Thanks for your experiences. Is it possible to wonder around town? Some reading states that it isn't suggested to do so and that some cans are not advised. Our first trip to a new port is to do a land tour and get the lay of the land and on return visit do possibly an excursion.

I usually go off site and wander, but I'm a guy from da Bronx who grew up street smart with all sorts of folks. My work experience was rehabbing drunks and junkies and supervising Teamsters, so I may have some confrontational and de-escalating skills (depends on the circumstances which to choose). I can also speak some street Spanish un poquito which can help.

I don't recommend others do what I do. Do an excursion for the 1st time to get a feel of the land yourself and then decide.

Edited by evandbob

We ported at Amber Cove 2 weeks ago while on the Splendor. Truthfully, I think they did a really nice job with the port itself. Pool is nice, slides are fun, and there is a zip-line that goes over the pool. They had a swim-up bar which was very busy, an open-air restaurant next to the pool, and plenty of help to get drinks while at your lounger. Many people took excursions. We have been to the DR 4-5 times at all-inclusives, so didn't leave the port area, but it seemed easy to grab a taxi right outside. And of course there were the drivers offering "island tours" for "x" amount of money. I wouldn't wander around the area outside AC by myself - the armed guards kind of give you a hint not to do that. Many of the stores in the port area were empty, with Diamonds Int'l there, a pharmacy, a small restaurant which was doing nice business, a few jewelry stores, a few souvenir/clothing stores open. This was one of our nicest port days - very relaxing, with a kind of Margharitaville atmosphere around the pool with the mixing songs, contests, etc.

This answer by corporate talking head with PR spin. I'm looking for real answers. Thanks

The port area is a bunch of shops and a pool. Our least favorite port of all the ones we have visited in the Caribbean.

We took a taxi to town, the driver stayed with us at all times. Wife wanted some shopping outside of the port area, she was disappointed - just a bunch of residents with tables set up everywhere tourists stop. No stores to be found in central town area. There are a couple malls on the opposite side of Puerto Plata from the port.

Everywhere you go, there is a heavy military and police presence.

No beach at port, you can get a day pass at the Riu.

I will choose to differ with you, all my comments plus hundreds from others are already in the DR ports board (yes, I heavily researched Amber Cove before we went in January - so I know the answers are there)

Good luck.

Edited by lizardhowson

PE4ALL, CRUISIN4EVER and LIZARDHOWSON - thanks for those last responses. That is what I'm looking for. I had done a search on Amber Cove and DR but it pulls threads if those are mentioned. Much easier to get exact info in concise manner. It was all very helpful and I think we will check with port vendors or hang at the pool area. Doesn't sound like much is happening yet. Visiting an area under military protection isn't too reassuring.

We were there near the end of December and stayed in the port area. It was a great place to spend a few hours, very picturesque and there was plenty of space.

The pool area was very clean and there were plenty of loungers. The water slides were great and very fast. The zipline was ok but if you have ever done one before the novelty will wear off quickly.

There are some pictures and a bit more information in my review that is linked in my signature.

We were there in January on the Valor, loved the port, great pool area and slide area for DS. Pool bar, plenty of lounge chairs, clean bathrooms, all was good. We went later to Ocean World, was fun, the dolphin show was very good and they have many shows and things to do, we had a blast. The excursion was very reasonable and they took us in very nice air conditioned buses.

We went there in November, being detoured from St. Thomas due to a tropical storm. So it caught us a little off guard, just not sure what we wanted to do, Someone in our group had been to DR before, so he had some suggestions of what not to do, but Amber Cove wasn't where he had been before.

Anyway, we had two tween boys with us, so we ended up going to the nearby resort, Riu Bachata. It was an excursion, so it gave us access to the pool, beach, activities on the beach, drinks, food, etc... We spent like 5 hours there I think. It was nice, not crowded, the boys had a great time just hanging in the pool (without the salt! LOL!). We just lounged around for the day.

The stores and things weren't open for the most part. I believe we were like the 5th or 6th ship to dock there. And like I said, it wasn't planned. Talking to others on the ship it sounded like others explored around and enjoyed it.

Okay, I booked the Outback Adventure. Dune Buggies sold me. Looks like alot of fun. Maybe some in our travel group will get in on it too. Still leaves us some time to look around the port area. after HMC and GT, I don't need another beach day. Thanks Cruisin4Ever.

We were there last Tuesday.

We don't like carnival excursions (too many people) and just wanted to chill on a beach. We went to playa dorada by taxi, it cost $50 return for seven people. There were a few vendors on the beach but they were polite -as they usually are when you're polite with them.

There was a bit of seaweed on the beach, but the sand was nice, the waves were fun for the kids. We did not eat or drink at he beach.

On the way back we went to the carnival complex and an hour there was enough...a few times down the slide, a few walks around the pool, a drink at the bar. Of the four ports, it was our least favourite one.

Hope this helps!

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but we have never been to AC either.

I did some research on things to do while at AC, and we were thinking about doing the 27 waterfalls tour through the iguanamama website, but now the whole Zika "thing" is worrying me a bit, especially because it requires a hike through the forest areas of the island...but the idea of sitting by the pool all day when it is something we can do on board just seems like a waste of a port stop to me. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.