Port Canaveral: Is NASA visible from the ship?

skrapngal

This is a PORT DAY for us and NOT an embark or disembark.

We have yet to decide how to spend our port day in Port Canaveral, but are thinking of renting a car and going to Brevard Zoo.

Is there anything of NASA that can be seen from the ship, or is there a quick driving tour we could do?

Not sure I want to spend a full day visiting NASA, but it seems a shame to be in port and not see at least some of it.

Depending on line of sight issues at the port, you can see the Vehicle Assembly Building in the distance (about 12 miles away). There are also some buildings and launch pads at the Canaveral Air Station that are closer to the port that can be seen.

Edited by DanJ

Just my personal opinion, but zoos are everywhere...NASA is not. I wouldn't hesitate to plan to go there.

We've been twice and both visits were great to NASA. We took one of their tours that gets you closer to the Assembly Building and allows you to see more of the grounds. The static displays are impressive. Really amazing to see.

Is there anything of NASA that can be seen from the ship, or is there a quick driving tour we could do?

Not sure I want to spend a full day visiting NASA, but it seems a shame to be in port and not see at least some of it.

Minor point, but NASA is not a place. It is an organization. You mean the Kennedy Space Center. Plan on a good half day there.

I did a Kennedy Space center excursion with one of my friends (both females in 30's) I highly recommend it. It was a long day but totally worth it. Our other friends went to the beach for the day and wished they had come with us instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for KSC...A few years ago , right after the shuttles retired...sigh..one could actually get in to the VAB while on a paid tour. I cried..this was where NASA folks put together the Apollo stages AND the Shuttles...such wonderful history. UNFORTUNATLY that part of the tour is no longer available.

Another vote for KSC...A few years ago , right after the shuttles retired...sigh..one could actually get in to the VAB while on a paid tour. I cried..this was where NASA folks put together the Apollo stages AND the Shuttles...such wonderful history. UNFORTUNATLY that part of the tour is no longer available.

Probably because they are rebuilding the VAB for the new SLS rockets

Yes, the Kennedy Space Center is fabulous and highly recommended!

Parking is $10 per vehicle but you can grab $5 entry discount tickets at various visitor centers.

Here is a comprehensive list of things to do during your Port day!

They did $15 entry fees for Brevard residents this past November. :D