No more formal nights on X - Royal, the same?

Completely agree! Very outdated for the times. Formal night for us is very unpleasant. I look forward to vacation and not having to wear stiff, uncomfortable, formal clothes and heels that I have to wear to work every day.

My solution is to buy formal clothes that are NOT stiff or uncomfortable. :)

Hiya Rolloman. Yep, Celebrity have replaced formal nights with "Evening Chic". Lots of chatter on the X forum. Apparantly designer jeans are the thing to wear now. I wonder if they have someone at the door of the MDR checking labels. Cheers.

thing to wear NOW? Didn't we do this in the 70s?

My Old Navy jeans for $20 look better than my designer jeans ever did.

When we went back the next night, our waiter told us what we'd been wearing was very appropriate for formal night and we were NOT to skip the second formal night (DH wore black Dockers and a long sleeve button down shirt; I wore a casual skirt and blouse with sandals). We were surprised that we were dressed like 95% of the people in the dining room. So maybe Royal is going the way of Celebrity and just not announcing it?

They just wanted you to be there. In '14 our servers nearly demanded that the teen boy at our table come to formal night, even though he had packed nothing but shorts and t-shirts.

There has been no TRUE FORMAL NIGHTS for years, a black suit is not FORMAL.

You make a good point if we're going by the strictest rules of formality, though for tech-Seattle it IS formal. :)

But even in '03 they weren't requiring tuxedos, which was good b/c DH doesn't have one. Not even for our wedding. He's not a fellow that looks like Bond in a tux. :)

There are no "official dress requirements" for formal nights. They are suggested guidelines.

This is true. I guess I was referring to the way things used to be, particularly on Celebrity pre-"Evening chic".

I'm not even sure why we bother discussing this any more. The cruise lines are now happy to treat their passengers like adults and let them decide for themselves what is appropriate so any disagreements here are pretty much meaningless.