Ketchikan: Saxman Totem or Totem Bight?

peterm

In Ketchikan we would like to see a good presentation of Totem poles - which of the two parks is the better choice if we would like to go only to one place? We don't need to see a lumberjack show for tourists.

Are both parks easy accessible by public transportation or do we need a taxi?

Thank you for your answers.

I find Saxman superior with a guide. You used to be able to get a guided tour from the gift shop? The Dancers- unknown, what is currently available- has altered between being completely ship contracted to allowing walk ups. Same with the Carving station, ship tours inside, walk ups through windows. Haven't been there in a couple years, so verify what the current touring is.

Both these areas are accessible with the city bus.

Totem Bight= you need to have a guide sheet for the totem descriptions, can print out in advance. Also the opportunity to see carvers behind Potlatch park. You do need to allow 3 hours for this area, if using the city bus.

I've posted the details about using the city buses, they have become extremely popular, and can be problematic if you don't have an early port arrival time. I've gone out on the 6:25a bus, when just about empty along with an empty Totem Bight. :) If you want my bus riding details, I'll post again.

At Saxman only the tours sold on cruise ships allow access into the Clan House and Carving Center. Saxman is closer to town about 3 miles, and I think it is usually more crowded for that reason.

I prefer Totem Bight which is farther away from town about 9 miles. There is nice little trail to walk along to the Totem Poles and Clan House. This park seems more open and spread out and everyone is welcome inside the Clan House. I think I like the atmosphere more at Totem Bight.

You might consider a local guide as I think it really enhances the experience to hear about the meaning and stories of the poles.

We went to Totem Bight in 2013. We enjoyed looking at the totems, but we were done in about 1/2 hour. There was not any carving at the time. In 2015, we took at taxi for $6.00 each way to Saxman and purchased the tour in the gift shop for $44. I am sure by now the prices have changed, but you can email them at info@capefoxtours.com to get the walk-up price (in your email give them the date and time because they will match you to a ship tour--keep a copy of your email because the cashier did not know the walk up price quoted to us and she needed to contact the person who sent the email). The ticket included the movie which was great, the carving house which had a master carver, and the clan house which included the dancers and finally the totems (not as many as Totem Bight but there was a guide to explain each totem).

Not only did we get the same tour for way less than the ship price, but while waiting for a tour bus to come for us to join, we talked with a few of the clan people in the community house including a 13 year old girl making pieces of a clan outfit and was learning from an elderly clan member. The dancing was very interesting and was explained by a clan guide. There was an adorable 4 year old just learning the dance with his father helping him and several women with their babies papoose style. They then asked if anyone from the audience wanted to dance and they were taught what to do.

In all, we really enjoyed Saxman better than Totem Bight.

We went to Totem Bight in 2013. We enjoyed looking at the totems, but we were done in about 1/2 hour. There was not any carving at the time. In 2015, we took at taxi for $6.00 each way to Saxman and purchased the tour in the gift shop for $44. I am sure by now the prices have changed, but you can email them at info@capefoxtours.com to get the walk-up price (in your email give them the date and time because they will match you to a ship tour--keep a copy of your email because the cashier did not know the walk up price quoted to us and she needed to contact the person who sent the email). The ticket included the movie which was great, the carving house which had a master carver, and the clan house which included the dancers and finally the totems (not as many as Totem Bight but there was a guide to explain each totem).

Not only did we get the same tour for way less than the ship price, but while waiting for a tour bus to come for us to join, we talked with a few of the clan people in the community house including a 13 year old girl making pieces of a clan outfit and was learning from an elderly clan member. The dancing was very interesting and was explained by a clan guide. There was an adorable 4 year old just learning the dance with his father helping him and several women with their babies papoose style. They then asked if anyone from the audience wanted to dance and they were taught what to do.

In all, we really enjoyed Saxman better than Totem Bight.

thank you for the update. This tour has been available for many years. The email will detail with is going to be current for this year. It is simple to get there by city bus, for $2, if interested. It is an uphill walk. :)

At Saxman only the tours sold on cruise ships allow access into the Clan House and Carving Center. Saxman is closer to town about 3 miles, and I think it is usually more crowded for that reason.

When were you there? How did you verify this, if you were there last year? As I mentioned, it was pretty common to be able to get into both of these via the gift shop, in the past.

I would love to see your details about using the bus & going on your own.

The bus stop is near dock 2, and is just up hill, from dock 3. CROSS the street. There is a bus stop sign near, Front and Dock Streets. Runs 26 min. after the hour. Silver bus.

IF you have the later port time, and see hoards of people, keep walking to The City Museum on Creek St and board there. When the bus fills up- there isn't another until the next schedule. Here are all the details, so you don't need a "guide". http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

The dock side of the street, is the direction for Saxman- leaving from the bus shelter, again, Silver Bus.

I've been to Totem Bight 3 times and Saxman Village once. Something about having totems on the sidewalk takes away from the importance of these works of art. Having them in a clearing amount the trees add beauty to these works of art. IMHO.

Edited by born2cruize

When were you there? How did you verify this, if you were there last year? As I mentioned, it was pretty common to be able to get into both of these via the gift shop, in the past.

I did call Saxman and they said you can book tours through Cape Fox Tours that include Clan House and Carving Shed. When you go to website for Cape Fox Tours they tell you to book through the ship and they didn't answer phone when I tried to call. So I guess I don't have definitive answer, but I would confirm with Cape Fox first and not just show up at Saxman and expect to get a tour of indoor areas. You can always see the outdoor area with no problem on your own, it s a $5 fee.

Things have changed in Saxman over the past couple of years. It used to be free and now they charge $5.00 to walk through the outside areas not including the Clan House and Carving Shed.

I am in Ketchikan quite a bit. There are other modes of transportation besides cruise ships ;)

DH and I were in Ketchikan 2 or 3 years ago and took the city bus to Potlatch and

Totem Bight parks. The two parks are basically next door to each other. The bus cost 50 cents pp each way - senior price and the park is free! We loved it, even in the rain - I had my own umbrella and they loaned one to DH. There were very few tourists...

Thank you very much for your valuable input and answers.

We are looking forward to visiting Totem Bight and maybe Potlatch (Assuming these two places will be less crowed).

Peter

Hi there

We will be visiting Ketchikan this May.

We would like to visit Totem Bight Park as well as Saxman Village.

We will be renting a car for the day. I realize there are buses going to both locations but I see there will be 4 ships in port that day. I push my wife in a wheelchair and I didn't want have to deal with the crowds trying to get on a bus.

Our ship is in port from 08:00 to 17:00 and I am to pick up the car at 09:00.

My question is where do you think we should go to first? Is there any way we might be able to avoid the bulk of the crowds?

Thanks for your help