Ship Wifi technical help needed please - does a Linksys work or help?

kazu

It is very doubtful you will be able to do the setup. On your home network all devices usually see each other, and can freely communicate. You need this to set up the extender. Can't imagine the ship's wireless network will allow for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is very doubtful you will be able to do the setup. On your home network all devices usually see each other, and can freely communicate. You need this to set up the extender. Can't imagine the ship's wireless network will allow for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On startup, the device will broadcast on it's own WiFi network, something like "Linksys Device XXXX". You connect to it using your smartphone, tablet, computer, whatever and then configure it with the ship's WiFi info for it to repeat. Then, it should just become a pass-through device, extending that network. It will just repeat the ship's network from there for the end-user's device to connect to. It's not necessary for the device to "see" anything but the ship's WiFi network.

That being said, has anyone here used one of these on board. It would likely be troublesome if the ship's netowrk were to require the repeater to "sign in" to be useful.

Edited by 0bnxshs

... this device, if placed in the same decent signal strength location, might provide a more consistent, usable signal around the room and verandah.
I agree ... I hadn't thought about that.
I remember some saying they had WAPs (John's throw pillows) in their cabins even, which would likely make the signal repeater unnecessary.
The picture I posted was from N.A. 5186, an SB corner. Edited by jtl513

Jacqui, for what it's worth, Westerdam did have the new WAPs (Wireless Access Points, John's throw pillows :D) last year on our April cruise. There were many more of them than the old "cones".

Not sure if you had spotty coverage then in your suite, but if you were able to find a spot with decent signal strength that then seemed to fade as you moved around the room and out on the verandah, this device, if placed in the same decent signal strength location, might provide a more consistent, usable signal around the room and verandah.

Problem is knowing whether any cabin or suite will have a spot that has a decent signal where you could locate this device. I remember some saying they had WAPs (John's throw pillows) in their cabins even, which would likely make the signal repeater unnecessary.

I think it's very nice that Jose is looking out for you.

Thanks so much Rich :).

My signal was ok on the Westerdam last year but I had the ability to move around. This year I may not so I need a secure location. This post and the other you did are reassuring so I think I will take it. It doesn't weigh much (a lot less than roll call invitations and stuff - LOL) and what the heck? So it sounds like I shouldn't upload it then until I am on the ship I think?

Many, many thanks - I'm glad I asked :). I was debating returning it but what the heck, I can use it on my deck next year if needed although I have to confess that the wifi at home and on my deck are pretty dam good :)

This way, if it works and if I need my arm on a pillow to type, I can set myself up with no worries. And if it doesn't work - it cost no more than a couple of bottles of wine ;). Thanks again ever so much

Edited to say I think I do have to log in (sign in) but not much different than logging into HAL, I don't think it would be that cumbersome and I can certainly type a one handed log in at another location if need be. I'd rather not of course, but if it does the trick, I could do it. And yes, Jose was very thoughtful - even though technologically, he might not know what he is buying - LOL. Less tolerant husbands would not put up with some of my foolishness ;)

Edited by kazu

I have an extender that works quite well on land .....so i thought maybe it would help pick up and extend the range of a free wifi signal from shore in some ports so i could surf at the crows nest....plugged it in there no problem but didn't work well enough to get online...tried in several ports and gave up.

I have an extender that works quite well on land .....so i thought maybe it would help pick up and extend the range of a free wifi signal from shore in some ports so i could surf at the crows nest....plugged it in there no problem but didn't work well enough to get online...tried in several ports and gave up.

I would think that the extender would receive a shore based signal no better than your device directly. So, I don't see how it would help much.

Perhaps a separate directional antenna would be better but very difficult to aim and maintain position should you find a WiFi source on shore. CCRANE and ccrane.com sells a wired omni-directional antenna (#WF3) with magnetic base that plugs into your USB port for $29.99 and is reported to provide 5dBi gain, but I haven't tried it.

I've had some luck on my balcony in ports but it seems that "free" WiFi is now very rare and if you do catch one, it is jammed as everyone's device logs on automatically and thus very, very slow.

Thanks, I don't need the wifi on shore. If I can get it and it is faster, great, but considering our itinerary, I think it is unlikely. My sole purpose is to make sure I have stable signal and can position myself to use the Internet comfortably. ;)

I am attempting to type with 10 fingers (ok, 9, one does not want to work yet) for the first time in weeks. Depending upon my circumstances, comfort may be not just required but necessary for support. No agenda here to access other wifi, just to be fine and comfortable on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As one poster mentioned, to use your device it has to "login" to the ships wifi.

Will you have access to the ship systems credentials? (password, etc) I don't think the IT dept on the ship will make that available.

If I were in your position I would ask my spouse to check with the IT dept for suggestions about signal strength to be used with your devices, but without the additional router.

Of course this may all be moot if you get a cabin with a strong signal.:)

Side point: Your router has the latest wifi protocol (AC). This feature is totally useless on the ship as the ships wifi is no more robust than the G protocol (if that). And, unless you have a really brand new tablet, laptop or smartphone, the AC protocol will not be of any use on the downstream side of the router.

Edited by thinfool

As one poster mentioned, to use your device it has to "login" to the ships wifi.

Will you have access to the ship systems credentials? (password, etc) I don't think the IT dept on the ship will make that available.

If I were in your position I would ask my spouse to check with the IT dept for suggestions about signal strength.

Of course this may all be moot if you get a cabin with a strong signal.:)

Side point: Your router has the latest wifi protocol (AC). This feature is totally useless on the ship as the ships wifi is no more robust than the G protocol (if that). And, unless you have a really brand new tablet, laptop or smartphone, the AC protocol will not be of any use on the downstream side of the router.

I am still laughing - you want DH to check out with IT? OMG, he likes tech but couldn't use it without my help if his life depended upon it :). Too funny :) :)

Seriously, thanks for your thoughts, but you did give me a good chuckle.

It's not a router, it's a range extender (a "repeater"). No need to log in to anything.

It's not a router, it's a range extender (a "repeater"). No need to log in to anything.

Oh, now I think I know what you're talking about - is it what we call a booster? We have one that increases the internet range in the house (lots of corners and walls between a device and the internet box).

Oh, now I think I know what you're talking about - is it what we call a booster? We have one that increases the internet range in the house (lots of corners and walls between a device and the internet box).

Yes, you could call it a booster. It "amplifies" or extends the wifi range

I agree with this. Besides, the ship's WiFi network is "open" and has no encryption turned on (the reason you would need a "passphrase" to connect to it.) Any device can connect to the network and even reach a couple of sites like HAL's website and the NYT with no log in provided. The userid and password that is used to connect to the rest of the internet is for accounting purposes for the system only. Generally, the repeater will not access any part of the internet itself (unless directed by the user to look for new firmware) so it wouldn't need to log in. The accounting login and password would be supplied by the end user's device and wouldn't necessarily even know if it was connected via the repeater or another WAP.

Edited by 0bnxshs