Your day in Labadee

TamaLee

Well I know for a fact my wife will slamming down the Labadozies. Still have a long wait for it though which by the way I really don't mind, part of the fun of cruising is the wait. Thank god I have some friends and this site that I can talk about things with or I would be going mad waiting for my cruise.

What is the difference between the Aqua Park and the water playground? I know my 8 year old brother would really love something fun and active like that. Also, can you pay when you get there for the Aqua Park and/or the water playground, or do you have to book ahead like other excursions?

The "aqua park" consists of water trampolines, floating "icebergs" that you climb(similar to the rock wall), and the like. It is just off the beach in the ocean. I believe the cost is $15-$20 for 1 hour. You will see the park from the tender to the right of the dock. There is also a giant slide in that area that is separate from the park. It is like one of those big blow up slide that you see in the traveling carnivals, but they hold a hose on it to make it wet and slippery. There is an additional cost for this. I think I paid $20 for unlimited use. You can also pay $3.50 per slide. This is a better option since the lines tend to get long as the day goes on and people only used it a handful of times before they got tired of waiting in line. I am not sure, but I think you can get some sort of "package" that includes the aqua park and the slide. The playground area is straight ahead and to the left of the tender dock. It is small, but can be alot of fun. It has a "fort" type structure that has water cannons, and another area that has some of those buckets that randomly dump water from above. The cost is listed at $5, but the guy did not charge us to go in so I tipped him $2. You should wait until you get to the activity before you sign up this way you can see what it is and then decide. We did and had no problem.

Has anyone done the kayaking trip?

I did the kayaking trip while on Navigator in 11/03. Can't recommend it based on my experience although I have seen subsequent reviews that said it was good.

My experience was poor. Kayaks were older and the "siteseeing" was disappointing. Muddy water and seeing slums didn't appeal to me. At about the halfway point we were told to bring our kayak ashore at a "rest stop". Well, it wasn't a rest stop - but a tourist trap. There was a gift store where they were apparently selling local wares. I noticed this as I headed ashore and decided I wasn't going to be hijacked. I thought the excursion was for kayaking - not shopping. I paddled away from the shore and headed back to where we started. The "tour guide" was screaming at me to come to shore but I just continued.

Has anyone done the kayaking trip?

My boyfriend and two grandsons did this trip in July. We had never kayaked before and so we found it great fun. A few people had mentioned that they felt they were held hostage by going to the beach stop in Haiti. We just went for a quick swim while we were stopped there and it was fine. I did feel sorry that I didn't buy anything but I didn't really feel secure enough to be carrying packages and rowing the kayak. They did offer to let me pay back on labadee which I thought was very trusting. The guide running the tour was very informative and stopped a few times to talk to us.

• 4 weeks later...

The water playground is not on the beach, but in the middle of the island. It is a splash park of sorts definitely intended for younger kids. It gets hot in Labadee so the cool water is very welcome for the youngsters who may not venture into the walt water. The Aqua Park is in the water on the side of the island where the boats tender in. They have all kinds of water play equipment. More intended for older kids/adults. You but a ticket for a specific time. I believe the admission was for 50 minutes.

Also ask around - there is a sunken aircraft that we snorkled to aff the island. The lifeguuards weren't happy with us that we ventured out that far, but we found the rest of the snorkling pretty unimpressive.

As far as drinks - try a "Labadoozie" and have the bar attendant add extra dark rum. Yum! The kids also had fun getting their pics taken with the "bartender" who wandered out into the water with his tray of drinks.

Labadee was actually one of the most beautiful places I've seen. So relaxing and peaceful and beautiful. We were there at the end of October and we just sat back and enjoyed the scenery and floated on a mat. We went shopping for about 15 minutes...bought something but really just wanted to enjoy the non-stressful atmosphere the beach provided. The island was beautiful and clean and I didn't find the workers pushy at all. I didn't see any jellyfish when we were there.

I say-go, relax and enjoy!:)

We just booked all of excursions online today . For Labadee we thought since we are going to be realy busy on all of the other stops we would get the floating beach mat and and try a"labadoozie":D This is going to be our first time in Labadee I can't wait!

Thanks everyone for all of the great info;)

Voyager of the seas 11/26/2005 our 15th Annv.

Labadee is really nice, as the other posters have said. The waverunner tour is really good for the adventurous or if you want a little excitement. You would probably want to book this ahead of time on the ship, as you would parasailing if you want to do that.

One other activity that you can do "spur of the moment" is the banana boat ride. It is around $10 per person, I think. They have a little cabana set up where you can sign up for a time. The rides are short, maybe 5 - 10 minutes or so, but are a lot of fun. This is one thing you can do in a group since the "banana" holds about 10-12 riders.

Archived