Drink Card Question

We were on Explorer in January and they had the drink card for $67USD for 10 drinks - the card stated "share your drinks with your family and friends" and was able to be used for:

- premium cocktails (up to $14 value)

- frozen cocktails

- beer

- premium wines by the glass (up to $14 value)

- non-alcoholic cocktails

- bottled water still (500ml)

- premium coffee

- premium tea

- bottled water - sparkling (375ml) or still (500ml)

- fresh squeezed juice

All 10 drinks we had were premium or frozen cocktails.

You cannot use it for the next cruise as it has your voyage # on it. It is a business size card printed on cardboard. We were offered the card on day 3 or 4 of an 11 night cruise from Australia to New Zealand. I purchased it from bar staff in the MDR.

On Adventure right now. Just got the Compass for tomorrow, day 4. They will offer a 10 drink card for $85.00. But then you must also pay the additional 18% gratuity on top of that. "does not include Super Premium brands".

Most simple drinks, i.e., rum and coke is 8.26 including the gratuity. But most other drinks, pinea colada, tom Collins, Long Island ice tea, etc, etc, are a standard $10.00 then you must add the additional 18% on top of that. The drink of the day has been $10 each day this week, then add gratuity.

So if you drink $10 drinks the card drops it by 15% to $8.50.

I have always purchased the premium package. Most of the bars on board this week use measures to the drop of one ounce. So 1/3 less weak than standard land based bars at 1 1/2 ounce or more pours. So at these prices onboard you can drink 9 at $10 for $90.00 dollars worth and get the alcohol of 6 land based drinks. I have seen no one drunk yet this week.

So basically you are paying about $9.75 per non premium drink (including gratuity)?

We were on Explorer in January and they had the drink card for $67USD for 10 drinks - the card stated "share your drinks with your family and friends" and was able to be used for:

- frozen cocktails

- beer

- premium coffee

- premium tea

- fresh squeezed juice

You cannot use it for the next cruise as it has your voyage # on it. It is a business size card printed on cardboard. We were offered the card on day 3 or 4 of an 11 night cruise from Australia to New Zealand. I purchased it from bar staff in the MDR.

Was the $67 inclusive of gratuity?

The price on your cruise was excellent either way.:)

Were the cards available any other day?

Edited by Bajan Keith

• 2 weeks later...
There is no rhyme/reason to when /if it is offered.

I can almost guarantee that the reason it is offered (and when) depends entirely on whether a particular cruise is making the money it expects to on alcohol. This in turn is likely based on how many people bought an alcohol package (or one including the most expensive drinks), how much people not on a package are drinking, the types of drinks they are buying, etc.

If they think that people are more likely to purchase a card at X dollars than buy the number/types of drinks to make that same amount a la carte, they'll offer the cards. My guess is that the timing is based on what they are seeing in the first few days of the cruise, the number of port/sea days remaining, etc.

IOW, it's all about drinking patterns on your cruise -- and how the ship can make the most money on alcohol. Nothing more or less. They have this down to a science.:cool:

I'll be watching what is offered on my upcoming Liberty cruise. From a recent Cruise Compass of the same itinerary, it looks like they offered the 10 drink card for $67, but it wasn't offered until day 6 of the cruise, so you could get the card for the last two days of the cruise.

Still will likely take advantage of it, if offered, as even not being big drinkers, 10 drinks over two days between my wife and me is not a stretch at all.

On the Vision's March 5th sailing I was able to buy a 10 drink card for $85. That included the tip, I didn't even have to show my Sea Pass card for the drinks.

I used it for more expensive things, mudslides, mai tais, grand margaritas, etc.

I'll look for this on Navigator in two weeks.

We are on Navigator, waiting to disembark. There were no drink cards offered this week. Ship was fully sold out -Lots of spring breakers.... 🙂

We are on Navigator, waiting to disembark. There were no drink cards offered this week. Ship was fully sold out -Lots of spring breakers.... [emoji846]

How was disembarking?

- frozen cocktails

- beer

- premium coffee

- premium tea

- fresh squeezed juice

Can I ask how you knew the card was available? Did they advertise it in the cruise compass or did the bar staff advise you? Thanks :)

Can I ask how you knew the card was available? Did they advertise it in the cruise compass or did the bar staff advise you? Thanks :)

Our experience was that we saw it in the Cruise Compass, and a bar server also mentioned it to us.

I have always purchased the premium package. Most of the bars on board this week use measures to the drop of one ounce. So 1/3 less weak than standard land based bars at 1 1/2 ounce or more pours. So at these prices onboard you can drink 9 at $10 for $90.00 dollars worth and get the alcohol of 6 land based drinks. I have seen no one drunk yet this week.

I suppose that is a selling point for the packages. If it is not strong enough just go and ask for a shot of liquor (after the waiting time) and add it to the drink! :D

Edited by 9876