Is Thermal Suite Pass Worth it?

mengel246

Yes, it's worth it! I've been in spas on the Pearl, Star, Jewel, and Dawn.

On those ships, you show up to the spa wearing whatever. You give your key card at the desk, which they keep while you are in the spa, and give you a robe and locker key in exchange.

That's where we'd change into bathing suits, sometimes worn under regular clothing. Then we'd go into the steam room for a few, then the sauna. After that was the hot tub if there was one in the separate male/female areas. Then into the co-ed area and into the thalassotherapy pool for the relaxing bubbles and jets. Once we were sufficiently soaked, we'd head to the heated tile loungers. I need to put a towel over it to lay on, as I can't take too much heat on my skin. After about 10 minutes there, its onto the loungers facing the front of the ship (or the back, wherever the spa is located). Watching the water is mesmerizing. Sometimes we talk quietly amongst ourselves. I have taken a book to read, but can't concentrate when that view is out those windows, I love just watching it. I've taken an i-pod with an audible book, but that has put me to sleep! I've spent several hours in there at a time, and even gone more than once a day. I love the smell of the spas with their infusers, lavender is the one I most remember. There are rain shower stalls with different types of sprays for different shower experiences to choose from.

I was in the Pearl spa the first time we entered Glacier Bay, and would have stayed there except my DH was back in our cabin, and I felt that I should join him for the experience on our balcony.

I have never regretted getting the pass, and was overjoyed when they began offering them for a discount before the cruise.

My only complaint is that there is not a spa on the Sun for my next cruise!

My ultimate bucket list cruise, a transatlantic, will most definitely be done on a ship with a nice spa!!!

Hi everyone!

Do any of you know if the Thalassotherapy pool is heated or the water is cold?

Dukemstr

On the Pearl last week, both the thellassotherapy pool and the "hot tub" were barely luke warm. There were groups of people congregated together in the pools that carried on loud conversations. It sounded like a high school locker room. It's hard to read while relaxing on the loungers, with dim overhead lights. There was a TV on the women's side that was never turned off. There was no relaxing background music. The only saving grace were the heated tile loungers (yay, finally something warm!), but they can be hard to come by on a sea day when everyone's on board. Yes, the big mouths eventually leave, and the tile loungers aren't always occupied, but the tepid water was always tepid. Worst money I ever spent.

Edited by JaysMom2

I am in agreement with those who have said that the Spa is worth every penny if people use it the way it is intended -- as a place of calm and relaxation; not an extension of the pool area with snacking, talking, drinking and group gatherings in the pool and tubs.

I have been in the Spa on the Jewel and Jade, and have purchased the pass for my upcoming Gem getaway. On my previous sailings, I have had the Spa to myself for as long as 3 hours. Again, it's when you go. I usually go after a workout in the gym, and while everyone else is on excursions. Honestly, if the tranquil nature of the Spa ever changes, it will be the last time I will purchase the pass, and I will mourn the loss. It has been the highlight of all my cruises.

On the Pearl last week, both the thellassotherapy pool and the "hot tub" were barely luke warm. There were groups of people congregated together in the pools that carried on loud conversations. It sounded like a high school locker room. It's hard to read while relaxing on the loungers, with dim overhead lights. There was a TV on the women's side that was never turned off. There was no relaxing background music. The only saving grace were the heated tile loungers (yay, finally something warm!), but they can be hard to come by on a sea day when everyone's on board. Yes, the big mouths eventually leave, and the tile loungers aren't always occupied, but the tepid water was always tepid. Worst money I ever spent.

So, the week after you get off the ship is not the time to ask the ship to adjust the temperature of the water. And if you were really that unhappy, the ship would have refunded your spa pass or given you a discount. Kinda late to be complaining now.

So, the week after you get off the ship is not the time to ask the ship to adjust the temperature of the water. And if you were really that unhappy, the ship would have refunded your spa pass or given you a discount. Kinda late to be complaining now.

The OP asked "Is thermal spa pass worth it?" It was my experience that it was not. I'm not "kinda late complaining", I'm replying to a CC question!

We were on the Pearl for 31 days last year and had spa passes for the entire trip. It was great. I initially bought mine just so my wife would be more comfortable going to the spa (and not having to be in a rush, if I didn't go). I REALLY liked the spa, for that trip - it was great.

I found all the comments about the spa being a "quiet zone" interesting... It's definitely a relaxing area and usually rather quiet. But according to NCL (on the Pearl anyways) - it is NOT considered a "quiet zone".

We quite often would be meeting and chatting with new people in the spa and once a woman gave us the stink-eye and said "you're supposed to be quiet in here", and as a group we apologized to her and sat in silence. As we left the spa - I asked the spa manager about the policy and she said that the spa was not considered a quiet zone and suggested that the woman visit the library, down the hall...

So - we did try to keep things from getting too noisy after that. But if it was suggested we weren't allowed to talk in the spa, we made sure the complainant knew were the library was...

I'm sure others will have an issue with this - but like others have mentioned, bring ear plugs if the sound of people chatting bugs you!

If anyone was in the SPA thermal suites - during EPIC's FALL TA cruise of 2014 - when three VERY LOUD men - during that wonderful 4.30pmish forty winks moments - proceeded to shout to one another a full conversation and one in particular was so loud, ladies around me almost cried. People tossed and turned - When one poor lady finally gave up her coveted heated tile lounger and left - enough was enough..

My husband knew what was coming. He could sense my body language so well - he slowly crawled under the towels and hid (coward!)...

SO - if anyone wonders who the wee Scots wummin was - that took it upon herself - to stand up on the lounger - amidst around 150+ TryingToRelax resting souls - and scream back "HOI YOU" "YES YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU!!" "WITH THE FOG HORN" "WERE YOU BORN WITH THAT OR DID YOU HAVE IT SURGICALLY IMPLANTED" -

SHUTTTTTTTTTTTTT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

and then... for two weeks .... there was peace - there was kaching spa sounds, there were waves, there was tinkling water... there was no longer one VERY VERY VERY Loud Foghorn....

well - that wee wummin - was proudly me...

s27_zpstunly4f8.jpg

Aye - cannae mess wi' a Scotswoman during 40 winks time - we need our energy for partying!

HILARIOUS! I hope you are on my next cruise!

• 5 months later...
Could someone recently on Epic (or with access to spa booking for their Epic cruise) give me an update on pricing for the pass?

Trying to decide between buying passes for two or upgrading to spa cabin from B4 cabin. :)

Thanks!

My upcoming reservation on the Epic shows the current (pre-cruise) rate at $199 for 7 days (each). I think it goes up to $219 once on-board.

Honestly, I found that the Spa Pass on the Escape was absolutely the BEST purchase that I made. I knew it would be nice, but I had no idea how nice and relaxing it was going to be. I am not sure about the other ships but I will say, hands down, the Therapy Pool, Sauna, Steam Room, Snow room, heated benches and all other locations available for use with the Spa Pass were AMAZING. It was such a relaxing time for me and honestly, I booked another cruise, leaving in 9 days (10-21) primarily for the week of complete bliss and heaven found in the spa!!!!!!! I cannot wait be back on the Escape.

If anyone was in the SPA thermal suites - during EPIC's FALL TA cruise of 2014 - when three VERY LOUD men - during that wonderful 4.30pmish forty winks moments - proceeded to shout to one another a full conversation and one in particular was so loud, ladies around me almost cried. People tossed and turned - When one poor lady finally gave up her coveted heated tile lounger and left - enough was enough..

My husband knew what was coming. He could sense my body language so well - he slowly crawled under the towels and hid (coward!)...

SO - if anyone wonders who the wee Scots wummin was - that took it upon herself - to stand up on the lounger - amidst around 150+ TryingToRelax resting souls - and scream back "HOI YOU" "YES YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU!!" "WITH THE FOG HORN" "WERE YOU BORN WITH THAT OR DID YOU HAVE IT SURGICALLY IMPLANTED" -

SHUTTTTTTTTTTTTT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

and then... for two weeks .... there was peace - there was kaching spa sounds, there were waves, there was tinkling water... there was no longer one VERY VERY VERY Loud Foghorn....

well - that wee wummin - was proudly me...

s27_zpstunly4f8.jpg

Aye - cannae mess wi' a Scotswoman during 40 winks time - we need our energy for partying!

LOL LOL, you are on my same cruise, the Epic Nov 5...We always get the spa pass, and some people use it as their personal " loud chatting place" they forget is supposed to be a spa....

LOL LOL, you are on my same cruise, the Epic Nov 5...We always get the spa pass, and some people use it as their personal " loud chatting place" they forget is supposed to be a spa....

Oh LOL - oh well - you know if there is any nonsense I am around to sort 'em out :')

Hey - we are the biggest party animals there are, but the spa - is the spa - Its a place of rest & relaxation - I dont really mind morning chit chat in the spa - I can understand that. But that afternoon "40 winks before the night out" ... yeah - its "respect shhhhhhhhh" time.

I do think to be fair people just dont realise how loud their voices are and how much it travels.

But the "Foghorn" was really bad. It was the nice lady next to me that really got me. She honestly stood up and she had tears in her eyes. She was actually crying as she was so frustrated laying there trying to rest - That was "the straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I saw her anguish and that annoyed me. My husband was such a woose - hiding under his towel denying all knowledge of me - shaking with uncontrolled laughter...

Have to say I got a lot of warm smiles & friendly nods from others afterwards, def a "well done" from my fellow passengers. If a guy had blasted them it might have been an issue, but coming from a wee woman like me - It was a bit like yer wee granny ticking you off!

• 2 weeks later...
We always buy the thermal spa pass on the Pearl and some of the other smaller ships.We have not sailed on the Breakaway yet. I understand the steam and other rooms are coed, and not separate rooms with a common pool and hot tub area.

The steam and other rooms on the Breakaway are co-ed

Looking for price for day pass on dawn. Or any of the ships. Any info on day passes would be great. Thank you

Day passes are sold at the discretion of the Spa and usually only if the weekly passes didn’t sell out. And almost never on sea days,,, only on slow port days. On our last cruise on the Dawn, weekly passes did not sell out, but the spa was not selling any day passes.

• 1 month later...
Price quoted on my NCLfor 2018 aboard Epic is $280 for a 7 day cruise. Price appears to have increased significantly. Is there 18 % gratuity charged on top of the $280 as well?
There has not been in the past, and if it's exactly a round number, it sounds like they are maybe doing $40/day, which is about what they typically charge for a day pass. But that's much more than I have ever paid in the past per day for the cruise-long pass, and as someone who has purchased a pass on every cruise up to now, I would never pay $280 for 7 days. At that price, I know I would feel obligated to spend as much time as possible in the thermal suite, to the exclusion of other activities on board and on shore, and that would be a real shame, especially on a short cruise.

Mom and I booked ours. She told me on her last cruise this was the best purchase she made. Every return trip from port she would go and just soak the bliss. Once or twice a day and she loved it. With the passes being limited for a tranquil space? Was an easy buy for us.

They w deliver cocktails TO YOU!!!! Just let them know at the desk and a server comes right down and takes your order! Wonderful!!

Is this true on each ship? we are going on the getaway and that was one of my concerns, not wanting to have to walk to the bar every so often.