US Thanksgiving

Occy

We have booked a Panama cruise on the Infinity which terminates in San Deigo on US Thanksgiving Day. My concern is, we were planning to spend a few days in SD after disembarkation and was just wondering how busy the hotels, attractions etc. are at that time.

Wld really appreciate your input.

Schools have a four day weekend and so do many workers.Stores will be crowded for sure.

All the Christmas decorations will be up and people will be shopping, going to movies etc.

Thanksgiving Day many things will be closed. The Friday thru Sunday attractions wil be packed as it is basically a 5 day holiday. The day after Turkey day is one of the busiest shopping days in America.

Sort of the same as BC Day in Victoria except the holiday itself is mostly families celebrating at their homes. Airlines will be packed on the following Sunday and Monday.

Really appreciate your input. Think we may leave SD as a stand alone holiday as we have never been there before. Many thx.

I hope you change your mind! We had a blast, three Thanksgiving Days ago, after disembarking from our Panama Canal Infinity cruise. We spent much of the day, after checking in to The Bristol (a wonderful boutique hotel, by the way) at the San Diego Zoo. Then we walked a couple blocks from the zoo to The Prado restaurant (loved it!) where we had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Most of the next day we explored the USS Midway, had a nice dinner at the hotel, then walked to a beautiful old movie theatre in Gastown to see "Lincoln".

I'd met a wonderful Alsatian cab driver, on the short trip back from the Midway, who was willing to be hired by the hour for Saturday, and dropping us at the airport for our evening flight home. He took us to many area sights, including around Coronada and a good bit of time in LaJolla.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by tnfcruise

The day after Thanksgiving is Black Friday, probably busiest shopping day of the year and quite frankly some people are just nuts on that day. Some of the stores start it on Thanksgiving day, I would suggest that Thanksgiving and the day after do not go shopping.

I hope you change your mind! We had a blast, three Thanksgiving Days ago, after disembarking from our Panama Canal Infinity cruise. We spent much of the day, after checking in to The Bristol (a wonderful boutique hotel, by the way) at the San Diego Zoo. Then we walked a couple blocks from the zoo to The Prado restaurant (loved it!) where we had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Most of the next day we explored the USS Midway, had a nice dinner at the hotel, then walked to a beautiful old movie theatre in Gastown to see "Lincoln".

I'd met a wonderful Alsatian cab driver, on the short trip back from the Midway, who was willing to be hired by the hour for Saturday, and dropping us at the airport for our evening flight home. He took us to many area sights, including around Coronada and a good bit of time in LaJolla.

I agree....people will not be checking into hotels on Thanksgiving day and the following day, you will most likely have a lot of attractions all to yourself as volumes of people will be at the malls for their black Friday. Yes, the flights will be crowded on Sunday to fly back home but they can only fit 300 people on a plane that holds 300 people, so how much worse could it be? When is the last time you were on a flight that wasn't packed ... and on a non-holiday at that. I would jump on the chance to spend the time in San Diego to see the sights. I wouldn't be caught on the freeways on that Sunday (I actually was driving from San Diego to LA on the Sunday after thanksgiving one year and it was no fun) but see now issues if you are just heading to the airport or staying until Monday or Tuesday. I bet you anything you could even find a nice relaxing stay in town, down near Balboa Park or over on Coronado Island.

PS -- the San Diego airport is really close to downtown. I think the cab ride from the pier (which is right downtown) was only about $10.

Make your hotel reservations now and you will be all set. Same with car rental.

The only places you won't want to be is at a mall.

Agree...and one point I'd add...once you determine your plan for Thanksgiving Day, find restaurants in the area that will be open, choose one and make a reservation as soon as possible. Although we really lucked out with The Prado, many places were closed, including the hotel's restaurant.

Remember also that the Sunday after Thanksgiving airports are a zoo. It's the busiest travel day of the year.

We flew out late afternoon Saturday and it was easy. I wish we'd stayed until Monday or Tuesday, though, simply because there were other things I wanted to see and do in the area.