Bella MDR question

Linerguy

We're on DIVINA's 5/7 departure in a Bella B1 balcony. We're traveling with three other couples who are in Fantastica balconies, and MSC has cross-referenced all of our booking numbers. My question is, there shouldn't be a problem with all of us eating together in the MDR for dinner, right? I can't imagine MSC sticking us in the buffet while our friends are in the MDR.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

We're on DIVINA's 5/7 departure in a Bella B1 balcony. We're traveling with three other couples who are in Fantastica balconies, and MSC has cross-referenced all of our booking numbers. My question is, there shouldn't be a problem with all of us eating together in the MDR for dinner, right? I can't imagine MSC sticking us in the buffet while our friends are in the MDR.

Bella guests will only have to eat in the Buffet if occupancy levels are high. If they are relatively low then there will seating for them in the MDR.

I would surmise that there will be a few seats available for Bella guests in the MDR.

I would make sure you are near the front of the line to make dining arrangements with the Maitre 'D when he holds his meeting with guests session to sort out dining requests on embarkation day.

He will of course have to satisfy the request's of the Fantastica guests ahead of any requests from Bella guests.

My guess is you should be able to sit at the same table but bear in mind guests traveling together and sitting at the same table must ALL have the same drinks package.

One to watch there.

So I feel, with nothing but a gut instinct that you should be OK if you are quick of the mark.

Pete

no, the MDR is free to all. Just have someone with Fantastica make the reservations. Have fun!

Not quite correct. Bella guests may have to be seated in the Buffet , with MDR menus and waiter service when occupancy levels are high. See the BELLS EXPERIENCE small print on the second image of post #1 on the thread on the link below

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2224649

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thanks for the responses. I had called MSC and they said that since the booking numbers have been cross-referenced, there shouldn't be a problem. But they're sort of notorious for saying one thing and doing the other, so I thought I'd get opinions here.

Thanks again.

-Russ

Thanks for the responses. I had called MSC and they said that since the booking numbers have been cross-referenced, there shouldn't be a problem. But they're sort of notorious for saying one thing and doing the other, so I thought I'd get opinions here.

Thanks again.

-Russ

This is what I expected. Since you all are cross-linked I don't see why they would turn you away from a reserved table for X # of people is it was reserved by someone with Fantatstica. The seating would be there already obviously.

I had a Bella Balcony in Feb on the MSC Fantasia and were seated at a table with 'fantastic' people. Their priority is to group people by language, so everyone in my table was from Dutch speaking side of Belgium.

in the description of the Class Fantastica it is written that we can choose My choice for dinner. I booked the Fantastica Class and I didn't have that choice.

If you read the small print in the brochure's it is due to start 20 April 2016

see post #41 (top of page 3) of this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2224649&page=3

what appears odd about this issue is that there are currently enough places for all guests to eat in the MDR`s if they want to so you have to wonder why the change ? is it an admission by MSC that the Dining rooms are too crowded as has been mentioned in some posts and also in reviews which is then also an admission that the dining rooms are not large enough! No one should be forced for evening dinner to eat in the Buffet unless it is by choice.

what appears odd about this issue is that there are currently enough places for all guests to eat in the MDR`s if they want to so you have to wonder why the change ? is it an admission by MSC that the Dining rooms are too crowded as has been mentioned in some posts and also in reviews which is then also an admission that the dining rooms are not large enough! No one should be forced for evening dinner to eat in the Buffet unless it is by choice.

I think it has been brought about by the provision of a dedicated dining area for the Aurea guests. This takes out a fairly large part of one of the MDRs, and in my experience of the system it was never more than about one third full whenever I was dining. Coupled with the fact that there were a lot of tables for two in there where there used to be tables for four or more and the overall capacity of the dining rooms is significantly reduced.

So there "aren't currently enough places for all guests to eat in the MDRs if they want to do so"

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Pete, you said "I would make sure you are near the front of the line to make dining arrangements with the Maitre 'D when he holds his meeting with guests session to sort out dining requests on embarkation day." We are Fantastica class on the Epic so if we are happy with our dining time and would prefer a table for 2 do we need to stand in this line to request that? If so do you know where he holds this meeting and what time? On other ships it has been at the front of one of the main dining rooms.

The more I think about it, the less I'm worried. After all, we're cross-referenced with three other couples; I imagine a lot of people skip the MDR and go to the buffet to begin with; and we're sailing in May, which isn't peak time. Plus they matched my Elite status with Princess, so I have a black card (which might not have anything to do with it).

This will be our first time on MSC, and we're really looking forward to a different type of experience. Still, some of their practices seem to create a lot of concern and confusion for people (more so than any other cruise line we've been on).

Pete, you said "I would make sure you are near the front of the line to make dining arrangements with the Maitre 'D when he holds his meeting with guests session to sort out dining requests on embarkation day." We are Fantastica class on the Epic so if we are happy with our dining time and would prefer a table for 2 do we need to stand in this line to request that? If so do you know where he holds this meeting and what time? On other ships it has been at the front of one of the main dining rooms.

First check your table number on your cruise card and go to the MDR and ask how many are on it. Sometimes a table hasn't been allocated and it doesn't appear on your card then you have to go and see the Maitre 'D

If you've got a table for two all well and good, if not:-

MSC don't do many tables for 2 so you may have to stand in line, usually in an office next to one of the MDRs. the time is down to the Maitre 'D so you will have to as where and when at check inn. You can check your card there.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

The more I think about it, the less I'm worried. After all, we're cross-referenced with three other couples; I imagine a lot of people skip the MDR and go to the buffet to begin with; and we're sailing in May, which isn't peak time. Plus they matched my Elite status with Princess, so I have a black card (which might not have anything to do with it).

This will be our first time on MSC, and we're really looking forward to a different type of experience. Still, some of their practices seem to create a lot of concern and confusion for people (more so than any other cruise line we've been on).

Having a Black card won't make much difference, most people do use the MDR and avoid the fun and games to be had in the buffet.

But I'm sure you will be alright it's just the drinks package that could cause problem.

Pete

So there "aren't currently enough places for all guests to eat in the MDRs if they want to do so"

Pete ... Surely Aurea guests already eat in the MDR`s ?

Yes they do , but they now have about one third of an MDR to themselves which is one sixth of the capacity, and they are certainly not one sixth of the guests on board. so that is why I say that There aren't enough places to be had in the MDRs.

pete

Having a Black card won't make much difference, most people do use the MDR and avoid the fun and games to be had in the buffet.

But I'm sure you will be alright it's just the drinks package that could cause problem.

Pete

Thanks. None of the us are purchasing the unlimited drinks package, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Pete ... Surely Aurea guests already eat in the MDR`s ?

Well would you believe long before they thought of their experiences, I was relegated to the buffet on my only cruise on the Fantasia. Sure I still had waiter service and the same menu as the 2 MDRs but it did not have the same atmosphere. Really didn't like it at all. They used it as an overflow section for the MDR. It was a cruise late April/early May so not even peak season. I was a Gold member at the time (Black didn't exist). I was all for making a fuss to get moved but my cousins liked our table companions so didn't want me to insist on being moved.

Well would you believe long before they thought of their experiences, I was relegated to the buffet on my only cruise on the Fantasia. Sure I still had waiter service and the same menu as the 2 MDRs but it did not have the same atmosphere. Really didn't like it at all. They used it as an overflow section for the MDR. It was a cruise late April/early May so not even peak season. I was a Gold member at the time (Black didn't exist). I was all for making a fuss to get moved but my cousins liked our table companions so didn't want me to insist on being moved.

Hi AmoMondo, are you talking about the buffet restaurant on the 13th or 14th floor or about the smaller dining room restaurant called "Villa Verde" or something like that? When you were gold member did MSC already had the bella experience?

Kind regards

Ivonne

Hi AmoMondo, are you talking about the buffet restaurant on the 13th or 14th floor or about the smaller dining room restaurant called "Villa Verde" or something like that? When you were gold member did MSC already had the bella experience?

Kind regards

Ivonne

No the Black card was created in ~ 2009 the new experiences came in during 2013

Edited by Skier52

Kind regards

Ivonne

It was called the Zanzibar or something like that and it was a bit at the back of the buffet that had been annexed and set up with tables with tablecloths. Buffet hours were not practically all day then, but you had to pass through the empty buffet area to get to it.

Not really that relevant now to the discussion about Bella, I ised it as an example thatntherenis not always enough space in both MDRs for,all PX even on a non peak time sailing. I've only known this to happen on the Fantasia, i personally have never experienced this on Musica Class or Lirica class ships but I guess I'll find out next month what the impact of a My Time dining section has had fro the other experiences (although I'm booked on Fatastoca so will be in a MDR)

It was called the Zanzibar or something like that and it was a bit at the back of the buffet that had been annexed and set up with tables with tablecloths. Buffet hours were not practically all day then, but you had to pass through the empty buffet area to get to it.

Not really that relevant now to the discussion about Bella, I ised it as an example thatntherenis not always enough space in both MDRs for,all PX even on a non peak time sailing. I've only known this to happen on the Fantasia, i personally have never experienced this on Musica Class or Lirica class ships but I guess I'll find out next month what the impact of a My Time dining section has had fro the other experiences (although I'm booked on Fatastoca so will be in a MDR)

In our last 3 cruises with MSC, we were booked in balcony fantastica and MSC did not gave us a table on the MDR 😔 We have received a table in the smaller dining room called Villa Verde.

In our last 3 cruises with MSC, we were booked in balcony fantastica and MSC did not gave us a table on the MDR We have received a table in the smaller dining room called Villa Verde.

So you have been seated in one of the two MDRs on the Splendida - one is La Reggia, the other is Villa Verde.

We booked an aurea suite on the Splendida last year and had no "real" flexible dining time. At check-in, just before boarding, we were asked for one dining time of our choice (not just early or late but any full or half hour) for the whole cruise. They told us this was because they had to many aurea guests on this cruise to reserve tables the whole evening for all of them. So on this cruise there was no special part of the MDR for aurea guests and thus no empty tables in the MDR.

Edited by RudiRatlos