Question on Travel Agent vs Carnival

dhawthorne15

My family and I are looking to do our very first cruise on the Carnival Freedom in December of this year. The travel agent has quoted me a price thats about $200 less than what Carnival quoted me yesterday and before I gave a deposit, just wanted to make sure I wont be missing out on any perks by going this route. I also had a concern on the travel insurance since we had to do that independently of making the reservation through a 3rd party.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Stay with TA. You're not missing anything. The TA is just charging less by giving up some of their commission.

Warning though,,,, Once you sign with the TA, you are the TA's customer, not Carnivals,,, UNTIL you step on the ship. So any communications regarding your reservation must be conducted with the TA.

You can still go to Carnivals site and book drink packages, excursions, etc. but otherwise communicate via TA.

Once you make your deposit start searching for travel insurance.

There are many comparison sites. Or, you can go with TA's recommendation or with Carnivals.

BUT COMPARE,,, they are all slightly different as to what they cover.

Stay with TA. You're not missing anything. The TA is just charging less by giving up some of their commission.

Warning though,,,, Once you sign with the TA, you are the TA's customer, not Carnivals,,, UNTIL you step on the ship. So any communications regarding your reservation must be conducted with the TA.

You can still go to Carnivals site and book drink packages, excursions, etc. but otherwise communicate via TA.

Once you make your deposit start searching for travel insurance.

There are many comparison sites. Or, you can go with TA's recommendation or with Carnivals.

BUT COMPARE,,, they are all slightly different as to what they cover.

Thank you.

Any thoughts on upper floor middle possibly causing motion sickness?

Getting your own insurance through a third party is almost always a better deal than using the ship insurance.

The common wisdom is that a lower floor, middle of the ship cabin is going to have the least motion. I always take over the counter meds for motion sickness just in case. Some ships will have ginger and/or tablets available.

Getting your own insurance through a third party is almost always a better deal than using the ship insurance.

The common wisdom is that a lower floor, middle of the ship cabin is going to have the least motion. I always take over the counter meds for motion sickness just in case. Some ships will have ginger and/or tablets available.

It might not even be an issue for me. The only issue I've ever had for motion sickness was a deep sea fishing trip in Japan on a small boat right after a typhoon.

I prefer a TA over booking through the cruise line because you can get additional amenities over what the cruise line provides and should something go wrong they can be your advocate with the cruise line.

Third party insurance is fine but like most products all policies are not created quickly. So, do the work up front and carefully review the policies. No point in getting the cheapest policy if when you need to use it the you discover it doesn't cover what you thought it would.

Keith

The best way to avoid sea sickness is a cabin as low as you can get in the middle of the ship. Think of a metronome. the top flies back and forth while the bottom hardly moves. Do you know you'll get seasick?

Also Carnival does not allow TAs to charge less than their fee. So, your TA had to give up part of their commission for a lower fee.

The best way to avoid sea sickness is a cabin as low as you can get in the middle of the ship. Think of a metronome. the top flies back and forth while the bottom hardly moves. Do you know you'll get seasick?

Also Carnival does not allow TAs to charge less than their fee. So, your TA had to give up part of their commission for a lower fee.

I don't know for sure. The only time I ever did was on a very rough deep sea fishing trip on a much smaller boat years ago.

What you say about the TA does sound about right. I have a quote from a TA currently for $200 less than what that Carnival rep is telling me. Without admitting to him that I truly have a deal going with a TA he told me that the main thing I will lose out on if I go with a TA is the price protection....if the price drops and getting the lower price over the next few months.

Hello,

On 4 of our 5 cruises a TA saved us money over the best price I found online and direct with the cruise line.

I have wondered if we ever missed any "perks" but the savings eased my mind.

Also as another poster already said you are the TA's customer until you board. not a big deal but if you have questions you have to go to your TA.

Happy Cruising.

• 4 months later...
I don't know for sure. The only time I ever did was on a very rough deep sea fishing trip on a much smaller boat years ago.

What you say about the TA does sound about right. I have a quote from a TA currently for $200 less than what that Carnival rep is telling me. Without admitting to him that I truly have a deal going with a TA he told me that the main thing I will lose out on if I go with a TA is the price protection....if the price drops and getting the lower price over the next few months.

If the price drops, ask TA to get it adjusted. Even after final payment, a top producing TA for your preferred line, MAY be able to get you added OBC or some other amenity.

Also, as to TA or no TA, just remember that if you encounter a problem with the cruise arrangements, you are on your own without a TA. Think about it: cruise lines are less apt to not pay attention to the concerns of someone who may do millions in business with them.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer