air purifier/filter

Girlsmom

I am a germaphobe...and the biggest concern i have about being in interior room is NOT the cramped quarters but lack of fresh air source.

So i am thinking of getting an air purifier; does anyone else use these? If so, does it make a difference in state room air quality?

http://www.amazon.com/GermGuardian-GG1000-Pluggable-Sanitizer-Reducer/dp/B000G2BESO/ref=sr_1_23?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1457385868&sr=1-23&keywords=air+filter

Might it be confiscated? (I dont see it listed anywhere as "prohibited" but I read someone else had their power strip confiscated ...

I am a germaphobe...and the biggest concern i have about being in interior room is NOT the cramped quarters but lack of fresh air source.

So i am thinking of getting an air purifier; does anyone else use these? If so, does it make a difference in state room air quality?

http://www.amazon.com/GermGuardian-GG1000-Pluggable-Sanitizer-Reducer/dp/B000G2BESO/ref=sr_1_23?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1457385868&sr=1-23&keywords=air+filter

Might it be confiscated? (I dont see it listed anywhere as "prohibited" but I read someone else had their power strip confiscated ...

I think your wasting money to buy it . There is a steady flow of air pump thru the HVAC (air conditioning system).

Every cabin, regardless of location or category, has a 20% by volume of fresh air delivered every hour. This is balanced by the bathroom exhaust fan, and the air flow under the cabin door back to the passageway. 80% of the volume of the cabin is recirculated every hour, within the cabin. This is the same as any office building or hotel.

As for your air purifier, it won't be confiscated, as it doesn't have a heating element, or a surge protector (which is why the power strips are confiscated), but I really don't think it will make much difference. While UV light is a sterilizing agent, I would question the unit's ability to move enough air to adequately sterilize a room.

It makes no claim to killing viruses, and the most common illness on cruise ships is caused by the noro virus, which is a contact transmission virus anyway. Airborne bacteria like legionella are typically treated at the fresh air inlet air handlers where the incoming air is cooled, and typically the humidity condenses out. The water standing in the drains of these air handlers are the prime culprit of legionella, but the USPH requires cruise ships to have sanitizing pads in place in the air handlers to deal with legionella, and other airborne bacteria.

However, as I say about lots of things folks want to bring on the ships, do whatever makes you feel better, I just put the facts out there for your decision making process.

Where would you plug it in? There is no need anyway. What would you do about germs when you leave the cabin?

Where would you plug it in? There is no need anyway. What would you do about germs when you leave the cabin?

He could buy one of these -

http://www.kapplerchemicalsuits.com/index.cfm/category/17 -

"Kappler® Level A Suits

The highest level of protection against vapors, gases, mists, and particles is Level A, which consists of a fully encapsulating chemical entry suit with a full-facepiece self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) or a supplied air respirator (SAR) with an escape cylinder. A crew member must also wear boots with steel toes and shanks on the outside of the suit and specially selected chemical-resistant gloves for this level of protection. The breathing apparatus is worn inside (encapsulated within) the suit. To qualify as Level A protection, an intrinsically safe two-way radio is also worn inside the suit, often incorporating voice-operated microphones and an earpiece speaker for monitoring the operations channel."

DON

He could buy one of these -

http://www.kapplerchemicalsuits.com/index.cfm/category/17 -

"Kappler® Level A Suits

The highest level of protection against vapors, gases, mists, and particles is Level A, which consists of a fully encapsulating chemical entry suit with a full-facepiece self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) or a supplied air respirator (SAR) with an escape cylinder. A crew member must also wear boots with steel toes and shanks on the outside of the suit and specially selected chemical-resistant gloves for this level of protection. The breathing apparatus is worn inside (encapsulated within) the suit. To qualify as Level A protection, an intrinsically safe two-way radio is also worn inside the suit, often incorporating voice-operated microphones and an earpiece speaker for monitoring the operations channel."

DON

Ha!!! YES!!!:)