Alaskan Brewing Company Tour

Cruise Raider

I just read a little blurb on another thread about the Alaskan Brewing Company tour in Juneau. That definitely sounds like a fun thing to do in that port. Does anyone have any more detailed info about this? Someone mentioned they are no longer giving tours but read on Trip Advisor that as recently as Sept, they were still doing these. Could it be that they just closed down for the winter months as most cruises aren't starting up again until next month at the earliest. Also, we are there on a Tuesday and see they are they are closed on Saturday and Sunday....so shouldn't be affected by that.

We are in a group of 8, but probably only 6 would be interested in this tour. I read that we can get the tour for $5 but also read that they pick you up in town in a shuttle for $20 and take you there and the tour is included (if they didn't discontinue this). For those that have taken the shuttle, is this worth the extra cost (eg: do they take you on a little tour of the town on the way to the brewery or is it just a ride?). The cab for 6 might be cheaper as it is approx. $20 each way. There is also a bus for $1.50 but not knowing my way around, I may not be that adventurous.

And ... for those who have gone, how long would you set aside for the tour and tasting? I was thinking maybe of picking up some sandwiches in town if there is a place to sit there and have our lunch or some snacks with our beer tastings.

Any advice is most appreciated.

There is no "tour", only a short presentation in a small room where you can see some equipment through windows. The tasting room is also small and often crowded, so no place to sit and eat lunch. We were there as part of a Bike & Brew tour, and spent about 20-30 minutes there, I think.

There is no "tour", only a short presentation in a small room where you can see some equipment through windows. The tasting room is also small and often crowded, so no place to sit and eat lunch. We were there as part of a Bike & Brew tour, and spent about 20-30 minutes there, I think.

Good to know...thanks!! Think we will try for an excursion that includes the Mendenhall as well as the brewery.

Cruise Raider: I haven't checked the Alaskan Brewing Co. website in some time, but if they still have language regarding a "tour" they need to modify their website. As sherryf has already mentioned there isn't a tour comparable of tours of wineries, but an employee talks about the company history, brewing process and so forth while folks look through a large window. I've always thought it was rather simplistic, but my husband is a home brewer and does find a stop there interesting in that he can "talk beer" with someone much more interested in beer than I am.

Good to know...thanks!! Think we will try for an excursion that includes the Mendenhall as well as the brewery.

There isn't any regular tour, that includes this. if you are in port all day, and don't have any other interests, you do these separately, if you use the shuttles. I'd also suggest you allow more for cabs. The ones I've taken are never the "prices" claimed, which seems to always be the ideal low end. :)

If you have only 6 people, renting a van would be ideal, then you can go where you want. Even if your group all wants to go, 2 cars would be very worthwhile. There is no cost, for just stopping in the brewery and having a sample, can also get a look at the hatchery, then go to Mendenhall.

SIMPLE to find all of these locations.

There isn't any regular tour, that includes this.

Actually, the Bike & Brew tour that we took (through Princess) does include both. We were picked up at the pier and taken to a spot near the university, where we were fitted with bikes and helmets. We rode to the chapel on campus for a quick stop. Then we rode to the west side of the glacier where the canoes launch. We stopped here for a snack and photo, the rode around the lake to the visitor center. Here we turned in our bikes and had a little time to look around, though probably not enough to hike to the falls. Then they drove us to the brewery for tasting, and from there back to the ship.

We were lucky to have a clear sunny day. It might not have been as much fun in the rain.

1935520_1212213542954_250946_n.jpg?oh=79c682ea0bced851ccc74724b0742be8&oe=575F9E78

Magic Happens out of Cary, NC runs a brews cruise on Celebrity out of Seattle every fall. My husband and I went Sept. 2013 and it was fabulous. Great excursions. Tastings each afternoon. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the excellent recommendations, everyone. I love the bike and brew tour but as you've said, only if it is not raining. Looks like you had an amazing day of sunshine.

I will check that weather forecast and if rainy, I also like the idea of renting a van. We've been there many times before and it doesn't look like difficult driving conditions.

Actually, the Bike & Brew tour that we took (through Princess) does include both. We were picked up at the pier and taken to a spot near the university, where we were fitted with bikes and helmets. We rode to the chapel on campus for a quick stop. Then we rode to the west side of the glacier where the canoes launch. We stopped here for a snack and photo, the rode around the lake to the visitor center. Here we turned in our bikes and had a little time to look around, though probably not enough to hike to the falls. Then they drove us to the brewery for tasting, and from there back to the ship.

We were lucky to have a clear sunny day. It might not have been as much fun in the rain.

1935520_1212213542954_250946_n.jpg?oh=79c682ea0bced851ccc74724b0742be8&oe=575F9E78

Thank you for the information, I didn't include a bike tour, but, that really wasn't much of a bike ride? There used to be a biking possibility, between Mendenhall and downtown, which is excellent for great looks at Lemon Creek/Glacier, Twin Lakes etc. They've really shortened it.

Thank you for the information, I didn't include a bike tour, but, that really wasn't much of a bike ride? There used to be a biking possibility, between Mendenhall and downtown, which is excellent for great looks at Lemon Creek/Glacier, Twin Lakes etc. They've really shortened it.

I just looked it up, and it's 8.5 miles altogether, in a few smaller segments. More leisurely riding, not for a serious cyclist... but not for total novices either. There were a few that couldn't seem to figure out gears or get up the tiniest of hills.

They do provide rain gear if the weather is bad. I'd have still enjoyed it in misty rain, but a downpour would not be as fun. Hard to predict in advance. We just got lucky.