First River Cruise

astro57

I am going on my first river cruise, Uniworld, Castles on the Rhine. What should I expect for evening dinner wear? Suit, sports coat, smart casual? It sails early April, I expect cool weather.

Thanks in advance.

I am going on my first river cruise, Uniworld, Castles on the Rhine. What should I expect for evening dinner wear? Suit, sports coat, smart casual? It sails early April, I expect cool weather.

Thanks in advance.

Smart casual as a rule. Some sport coats, maybe even a suit for Captain's dinner. I never take a sport coat in the summer, but usually do for an April river cruise, and use it as one of my potential layers.

ENJOY

Thom

PS That is "a" (as in one) suit from among the entire passenger count - I wouldn't take one for a river cruise.

Edited by TravelerThom

You picked a great first cruise. We did this itinerary 2 years ago in April and it was a fantastic time! The SS Antoinette is a beautiful ship.

Dinners were casual. Khakis and a button-down shirt or polo was my dinner outfit. I brought a blazer for evenings (as Thom suggests, it's a good layer when it's cool out) but didn't need to in terms of dressing up to that degree. I think I packed a tie but never wore it. Definitely don't need a suit. Luckily you didn't ask about ladies' wear, because I can't remember what Chris wore, but similarly casual.

Reminds me, almost time to start thinking about our packing list for the Danube, coming up in just over 4 weeks!

I agree that this is a great first time itinerary and I am sure you will enjoy Uniworld. They provide a great experience.

We have been on quite a few river cruises and sailed with Uniworld last year. I agree with JP. Evenings are fairly casual and there were a handful of gentlemen in sports coats and we did not see any ties at all. I can only recall seeing suits on one cruise, when two couples showed up for the Captain's Welcome aboard in full ocean cruise formal night attire. It is definitely NOT the norm.

My husband does not even pack a sport coat on most river cruises these days as he so rarely wears it. He will wear dress slacks and a button down shirt with a vest or sweater on dressier nights. I wear black slacks with a sparkly top or a simple wrap dress on dressier evenings.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Very enlightening! I was expecting a cruise ship formal night every night, what a relief!

This was our first river cruise too....we're up to 8+ now!! Throw out everything you know from ocean cruising...it doesn't apply to river cruising except for the boat! I don't know about Uniworld, but even on Captain's Dinner night the men don't wear suits....we get to sit at the Captain's Table and he's the most dressed up man on the ship!!! DH wears dockers with a solid color sport shirt, no tie or jacket. I wear black or white jeans with a lacy or gauzy top and black flats. Some dress up more than us and some dress up less than us and I've never felt uncomfortable. NB: Knowing that I'll be at the Captain's Table (function of 8 cruises) I bring a Hawaiian formal muu muu for when sitting at the Captain's Table..I bought it in Hawaii and it's a great conversation starter.

Astro,

I did my first river cruise with Uniworld last November. We had 2 gala nights on an 8-day cruise. It will be a waste of luggage space to pack a lot of fancy clothes. On gala nights I wore black pants and a dressier top with a jacket. Lots of women wore pants or a skirt with a dressy top. A cocktail dress or two here and there. Other nights people dressed neatly but casually.

Roz