Staggered Boarding...am I understanding this correctly

Hillwood

I would too if I didn't have a 2 year old with me. :o

I was told via e-mail and a call from Carnival that if I were to arrive into the Port ahead of my scheduled time they would make me leave and come back.

Thanks! We were planning on coming during our scheduled time but were worried that we scheduled it too early based on the 12:30 time that the email stated. We are in a suite, however, and it has been stated in information sent to us that suites need to choose a time but can come at their leisure. Even so, we wanted to come when scheduled just in case. Always antsy to get on the ship ASAP and when traveling with kids I either have FTTF or a suite so we don't have to wait too long. :)

Thank you for that information! I am mainly trying to be sure to plan appropriately so that I am not sitting or standing around with a 2 year old and 2 74 year olds when we could have taken our time getting to the terminal.

I am accustomed to boarding around 11:30 and was mainly wondering why it said 12:30. I am glad that your experience was that they boarded earlier. We originally had a check in time of 10:30 but after seeing the responses from everyone we changed it to 12:00. Now I am wondering if we should change it back. LOL.

Our email says 12:30 also. I think they all do just so people don't get upset if they are not onboard at an earlier time and happy if they get to board before 12:30.

We chose the 1-1:30 time. Hopefully we can check in and board right after.

Have a great cruise!

Just because the email says boarding is scheduled to begin at 12:30 doesn't mean it can't start earlier. They generally say that boarding starts at 12:30 because of the myriad of delays that can occur in docking, getting the other passengers off, and getting the ship ready. When all goes smoothly, boarding starts earlier, as early 11 a.m. in NOLA, but Carnival would obviously prefer that guests are pleasantly surprised rather than annoyed that boarding is late. They would also like to spread out arrivals to the port. So...if your main goal is to board as soon as possible and you don't mind waiting if necessary, you should still check in by 11 a.m. and hope for the best.

Great info! Thanks!

I often wonder how folks handle "check-in" at hotels...so their plane lands at 10am but they can't check-in until 3. Do they go to the hotel directly and demand that the hotel adjust it's schedule for them. Do they moan and whine on hotel websites about how bad the service is because they, go figure, actually had to wait for their room to be ready.

"Past experience" can be helpful but it can also be detrimental. Basing all expectations on what will happen during the check-in and boarding process on assumptions just sets some people up for acute disappointment and stress.

When we (not the universal "we" but my family/friends) travel with young children or bring along the "aged and infirmed" (I'm fast approaching that definition) we "always" choose to check-in after the morning rush ensuring that we can board immediately, that our rooms will be ready, that the kids won't have a long wait in horribly hard chairs in the terminal. As of yet, we have nevered missed lunch checking-in after 1:30, have never encountered "lines", and the whole process from security to unloading our carry-ons has never taken over 20 or 30 minutes.

I often wonder how folks handle "check-in" at hotels...so their plane lands at 10am but they can't check-in until 3. Do they go to the hotel directly and demand that the hotel adjust it's schedule for them. Do they moan and whine on hotel websites about how bad the service is because they, go figure, actually had to wait for their room to be ready.

"Past experience" can be helpful but it can also be detrimental. Basing all expectations on what will happen during the check-in and boarding process on assumptions just sets some people up for acute disappointment and stress.

When we (not the universal "we" but my family/friends) travel with young children or bring along the "aged and infirmed" (I'm fast approaching that definition) we "always" choose to check-in after the morning rush ensuring that we can board immediately, that our rooms will be ready, that the kids won't have a long wait in horribly hard chairs in the terminal. As of yet, we have nevered missed lunch checking-in after 1:30, have never encountered "lines", and the whole process from security to unloading our carry-ons has never taken over 20 or 30 minutes.

My dad and my boys (and they are teenagers) hate to sit around waiting!!! That's why my mom said to pick the 1-1:30. The less we have to deal with their impatience the better!

Regarding hotels, if we arrive before check in time we will ask if our rooms are ready. If they are that's great. If not, no big deal. Most hotels will let you leave your luggage and contact you when the room is ready.

Arriving later meets your needs, but not everyone's. The OP, who has a suite, posted that she wanted to get on board as soon as possible so that her 2-year-old could take a nap in the room before the muster drill. She might be waiting to board if there are delays that morning, but there is a good chance (based on very recent reports) that she will be able to board much earlier than 12:30.

Not NOLA, but in Galveston we had check-in of 10-10:30. We had an early breakfast at our hotel, rushed to the port, checked in, then weren't allowed to board until 12:15. Others may enjoy waiting in the terminal with nothing but water to drink and too few seats, but if we had known we would have had a more leisurely morning and checked in later.

Where in my post did I "moan and whine"? You must have misunderstood my tone and intent which is easy to do when sitting behind a keyboard.

I am merely trying to plan ahead as I am well known to do. My favorite part of traveling is the planning and research part which is weird, I know. If it is at 12:30 then that is fine and would affect when we show up. I would need to feed my little one before we get there and expect her to fall asleep in her stroller. If we can get on earlier, we would feed her onboard and if our room was ready, allow her to sleep there. If not, she could sleep in her stroller on the ship. My little one can't function without her afternoon nap and if I don't feed her in time, she will fall asleep without eating. Also trying to make sure she naps before muster. But looking forward to some deviation in her schedule as the trip goes on.

As many people are telling me, they were able to board more like 11:30. So we are deciding to take a gamble now and change our check in to 11:00. If they haven't started boarding yet, fine. That was my choice and I went in knowing the risk.

I am just trying to do some fact finding and plan for what is to come so that we can have the best experience possible.

Edited by Hillwood

I just cruised out of NOLA. Our check in time was 10-1030 and our paperwork was checked several times for that. We were also FTTF. We would not have been allowed to enter the terminal if we had arrived early. The lady at the door polices it very well... lol.

Boarding began at 1130 on the nose for the Suite and VIP guests. The FTTF boarded within minutes after that.

I think that it is interesting that you mention that you would not have been allowed to enter early. even though you were FTTF. I have seen many with FTTF say that they were going to arrive early, but give a later time to leave slots open "for those that need them." As a FTTF person, I am leery of doing this in case I run into a security person who does not know that we can "board at our leisure." That and the fact that if a large number of people lie about when they plan to arrive could cause a really serious backlog at the early time slots convince me tostate as close as I can to when I will actually arrive.

Carnival is going to staggered boarding and will eventually include all ports. They explained it to me that you will be given a check in time and you will not be allowed to enter the terminal until that time. You can arrive before that but you will have to wait in line outside. You can check in after your given time., but not before.

This information was given to me from a carnival rep. She said it has helped with the port crowding.

What if you are taking the carnival transfer from the airport, can you enter when you arrive? That was always one of the perks of taking carnival bus.

Also what if you have fttf?

We dont cruise until end of september out of port canaveral and I'm sure by then they will have the staggered boarding. We are taking the carnival transfer and have fttf.

I often wonder how folks handle "check-in" at hotels...so their plane lands at 10am but they can't check-in until 3. Do they go to the hotel directly and demand that the hotel adjust it's schedule for them. Do they moan and whine on hotel websites about how bad the service is because they, go figure, actually had to wait for their room to be ready. \

Frequently we don't arrive before check-in, but if we do, we go to the hotel to see if there is a room ready. I'd say that over 50% of the time they will accommodate us. If it's not ready we are still able to drop off our luggage and go get something to eat or maybe a few drinks while we wait.

We are not demanding and they are not adjusting their schedule. We are asking and they are accommodating, or not. But either way we are able to wait in a relaxed environment.

Frequently we don't arrive before check-in, but if we do, we go to the hotel to see if there is a room ready. I'd say that over 50% of the time they will accommodate us. If it's not ready we are still able to drop off our luggage and go get something to eat or maybe a few drinks while we wait.

We are not demanding and they are not adjusting their schedule. We are asking and they are accommodating, or not. But either way we are able to wait in a relaxed environment.

I agree with you on that. I would up it to about 80% in Vegas, they usually always have rooms ready early. All you have to do is ask.

What if you are taking the carnival transfer from the airport, can you enter when you arrive? That was always one of the perks of taking carnival bus.

We dont cruise until end of september out of port canaveral and I'm sure by then they will have the staggered boarding. We are taking the carnival transfer and have fttf.

From the email we received for our 3/27 cruise out of New Orleans:

Guests who are part of our priority program (diamond, platinum, suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or "Faster to the Fun" must still select a window online so we can prepare onboard, but are invited to come at their leisure.

So if it is have been implemented in Port Canaveral by the time you sail you will still need to pick a check in time but you can show up to the terminal when you want. They will send you an email if it has been implemented so you can go online and pick your time.

Never been to a hotel that would not allow me in to their lobby...

Once they began boarding - for us around 12 noon - they called for those with higher status, then FTTF, then by boarding group which we were assigned at check-in.

So, if you have FTTF, you don't board when you check-in unless they have already started boarding. The time they start boarding I think just depends on what time they have the ship ready.

Never been to a hotel that would not allow me in to their lobby...

...because they don't have everyone in the hotel arriving on the same day. Imagine a 200 room hotel with 3 people per room. Do you think the hotel would still let you in the lobby if there were already 500 other people who are checking in that day already there? You can not compare the two.

...because they don't have everyone in the hotel arriving on the same day. Imagine a 200 room hotel with 3 people per room. Do you think the hotel would still let you in the lobby if there were already 500 other people who are checking in that day already there? You can not compare the two.

I agree, can't really compare the two. Different operations. Not sure why people bring up hotels in comparison to cruises.

I think that it is interesting that you mention that you would not have been allowed to enter early. even though you were FTTF. I have seen many with FTTF say that they were going to arrive early, but give a later time to leave slots open "for those that need them." As a FTTF person, I am leery of doing this in case I run into a security person who does not know that we can "board at our leisure." That and the fact that if a large number of people lie about when they plan to arrive could cause a really serious backlog at the early time slots convince me tostate as close as I can to when I will actually arrive.

We may have been able to enter (actually I am sure we would have been) since we were FTTF, but what they were looking for were the times we had selected to check in. I was asked 2 or 3 different times to see my paperwork because they wanted to check our times (their words).

We may have been able to enter (actually I am sure we would have been) since we were FTTF, but what they were looking for were the times we had selected to check in. I was asked 2 or 3 different times to see my paperwork because they wanted to check our times (their words).

Thanks for the clarification. Since I am generally a paranoid person, I will probably still choose the time that I actually plan to arrive.