Large Family-First Family Cruise

Angiesue

Hello All!

My husband and I have been on one Cruise, on the Carnival Ecstasy... nearly 8 years ago. We are now planning a family cruise for our 35th birthdays in February 2017.

We have 5 children, ages 13 to 3 ( at the time of sailing). I am having some difficulty finding a room configuration that will suit us well, as none of the older children are old enough to be in a room all on their own. We will probably be picking a 3-5 day cruise since it will be their first time out to sea. We live in Middle Georgia, so quite a few ports are close enough to drive to.

Do you all have any great suggestions? I am hesitant to call and inquire until I know I have some options. We are not stuck on any one Line, but would want one that has a great kids program.

TIA for any help you can offer!

Angela

Look at booking connecting cabins so you can have the inner connecting door open between cabins. Two cabins is usually cheaper than booking a larger suite. Usually if a cabin sleeps more than 4, you have to call for pricing. I know my sister used to book two cabins, but not connecting. They booked a guys cabin and a girls cabin, with her and her husband split for the week.

Royal Caribbean's Quantum class have interconnecting cabins that are in blocks that you can close off the outer door to the corridor and then have all three cabins connected.

The kids are old enough to be in a connecting cabin...stick them all in there...give yourselves some privacy...it's a great set up! You will have to book with one of the kids in your cabin, but you can move them to the other room once onboard. No one cares who sleeps where! You'll be closer to them in connecting cabins than you are at home !

They are all old enough to take part in the kid's club...a good time will be had by all!

Edited by cb at sea

I took my five (at the time they were 14, 12, 10, 5 and 2) on Norwegian to Alaska and we had a wonderful time! We did connecting oceanview rooms and it worked out really well especially having two bathrooms! We did the two older and an adult in one room and the three youngers and an adult in the other, we left the connecting door open all the time. I would always have the younger set in my room with me though because the two year old figured out how to open the cabin door and run down the hall...that was not fun! The same child managed to lock himself in the bathroom a few times (then I got smart and taught him how to lock and unlock the door!). The older 4 loved the kids clubs and the 2 year old hung out with me and we had a great time (one on one time with the youngest is always a special treat!). I think cruises are the way to go with a large family as it allows everyone's needs to be accommodated, if one two want to go and do an activity in port there are no worries as the others can stay on the ship in the kids club! Worked beautifully for us!

Edited by CNDKangaroo

I agree about 2 cabins. Defiantly get connecting if you can. We had connecting last cruise and I was going batty running between the two rooms the first hour until our steward opened the door and connected them :-). There were only 4 of us (this was still cheaper than booking us all in one room - go figure) but the extra space and bathroom made a huge difference.