Just a little Oceania pre-trip planning venting

teony20

The Delta Amex card is a necessary evil for us since we live in a hub. Most of the butt in the seat miles we accumulate are Delta because the flights are so convenient. We can get anywhere in Europe and most of Asia in one stop.

Perhaps once we're retired and can opt for more stops and less convenient flights we'll start using some other airlines. We do have the complete set of airline cards.

I thought I read on the Cruiseair board that AA is going to devalue, along the lines of United and DL.

Yes - you are correct about AA devaluation but not quite to DL levels (see my post #7 above).

My new "favorite" mileage accrual is with Singapore. Citi Thank You card gives you 3X the points for travel/gas expenses and those points can be transferred to SQ (among others).

They are a top notch airline, "low" mileage award requirement and good availability (to Asia/Australia) - this may change in the future as this becomes discovered by more of us "mileage hounds":D

PS I understand your DTW dilemma with DL - I used to live there in my prior life :)

Yes - you are correct about AA devaluation but not quite to DL levels (see my post #7 above).

My new "favorite" mileage accrual is with Singapore. Citi Thank You card gives you 3X the points for travel/gas expenses and those points can be transferred to SQ (among others).

They are a top notch airline, "low" mileage award requirement and good availability (to Asia/Australia) - this may change in the future as this becomes discovered by more of us "mileage hounds":D

PS I understand your DTW dilemma with DL - I used to live there in my prior life :)

Actually I did ok (for DL) with some FF on DL for next cruise...two tickets from LIN at 30K in June for return and was able to buy up to premium economy for not much money.

We are still working on our United miles for our big trip next year (I just added the Sapphire card to the CC stable:)). CBB's RTW thread has me thinking of a South Africa safari instead of Vietnam. Right now, looks like we could get there business and buy business flights back on Qatar to Boston for a decent price...if current pricing holds.

Are you still a Red Wings or Tiger Fan or have you gone to the dark side?

Actually I did ok (for DL) with some FF on DL for next cruise...two tickets from LIN at 30K in June for return and was able to buy up to premium economy for not much money.

We are still working on our United miles for our big trip next year (I just added the Sapphire card to the CC stable:)). CBB's RTW thread has me thinking of a South Africa safari instead of Vietnam. Right now, looks like we could get there business and buy business flights back on Qatar to Boston for a decent price...if current pricing holds.

Are you still a Red Wings or Tiger Fan or have you gone to the dark side?

Check out Emirates out of Cape Town.

Exceptional value CPT to US - a little over $3K F all the way CPT-DXB-SFO (A380 with shower :D) and just over $2K for J ($10K more the other way)

PS Crossed over to the dark side all the way :D - though I wouldn't mind either one winning a title. Still love UofM - Go Blue

Check out Emirates out of Cape Town.

Exceptional value CPT to US - a little over $3K F all the way CPT-DXB-SFO (A380 with shower :D) and just over $2K for J ($10K more the other way)

PS Crossed over to the dark side all the way :D - though I wouldn't mind either one winning a title. Still love UofM - Go Blue

What are the Emirates US destination cities? I can always buy the cheap flight back from an east coast city or Chicago. DTW seems to add more to the CPT-DOH-BOS-DTW, then if I just rested in Boston and bought our own flight from there.

I caught on real fast to use the FF on the way there and buy the way back....those one way business fares to South Africa are a killer. :eek:Also finding lodges in Sabi Sands with fitness centers under $1.5K a night is tough, but I think I've found some possibilities. And, I have some hotel points that will help in CPT.

Wow. Looks like I hit a hot topic nerve. Thanks to everyone for their input. Some good advice out there - especially about the Chase Sapphire card which I don't have but will look into.

End result for me, I got my Platinum Amex today and I will get the $300 OBC and bottle of wine.

The only reason I got the Platinum Amex right now is that I received an offer in the mail from Plat.AX - for first time cardholders - of 100K points. So, that made the $450 fee worthwhile.

For the time being we'll keep our Delta card too - as we do fly Delta often enough.

You can choose a preferred airline to link with your AMex Platinum. You will get a rebate of non-ticket charges such as alcohol and snack purchases up to $200 per year from Amex. Just another way to recoup some of that $450 yearly charge.

Happy travels

It was hard to read the big red post so just a quick question for clarification

Do you need to book through an Amex or affiliate TA to get the perk?

I believe that the way it's worded, that you do:

"Valid for new bookings of voyages of at least five nights made with a participating supplier through Platinum Travel Service, Centurion Travel Service, any American Express Travel office or the Agency Services Desk."

"You only need to have it and charge everything on ANY Amex card."

This is also incorrect; You must be a Platinum or Centurion member to qualify for the perk as stated:

"Available for U.S. Platinum Charge Card Members and U.S. Centurion® Members only, and excludes Platinum Credit Card Members such as Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card Members who are not also U.S Platinum Charge Card Members or U.S. Centurion® Members."

"You only need to have it and charge everything on ANY Amex card."

This is also incorrect; You must be a Platinum or Centurion member to qualify for the perk as stated:

"Available for U.S. Platinum Charge Card Members and U.S. Centurion® Members only, and excludes Platinum Credit Card Members such as Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card Members who are not also U.S Platinum Charge Card Members or U.S. Centurion® Members."

When you HAVE IT (i.e. The Plat Amex card) are you not a US Platinum Charge Card member?

You can choose a preferred airline to link with your AMex Platinum. You will get a rebate of non-ticket charges such as alcohol and snack purchases up to $200 per year from Amex. Just another way to recoup some of that $450 yearly charge.

Happy travels

Yup, thanks for that advice. I noted that in the brochure that came with the card. I plan to use as many perks as I can for that fee!:)