Late Honeymooner Torn Between W. Caribbean Ports

AmyW820

Hi everyone!

Just a quick backstory - got married in May 2014 (eloped) and we didn't have quite enough money to take the honeymoon we wanted, so we're planning to take a cruise this November or December and count that as our "honeymoon" lol :D

I have been on a 4 day cruise in the Mediterranean before (back in 2008) but my husband has never cruised before.

We will be leaving from New Orleans, so that gives us 4 options:

1. 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progreso

2. 7 day cruise to Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Cozumel

3. 7 day cruise to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

4. 7 day cruise to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

Initially we were planning on just doing the 5 day cruise because it was cheapest (we are planning to get an interior room by the way) but after some research about Progreso not being a favorite of many, I am reconsidering. I haven't totally sworn it off yet, but this forum seems to be 100% for it or 100% against it, so I can't decide!

My husband is someone who is not necessarily a thrill seeker, and I'm not really either, but one thing I would love to do is swim with dolphins - or really interact with any sea life at all. I love animals. I know that if I do something, he will tag along and probably have even more fun than me! Especially if I can keep him a little tipsy the entire time. ;)

We aren't the kind of people that are going to want to "do something" at every port - for example, swim with dolphins and parasail and shop and go to Mayan ruins and this and that. We aren't really "doers", I guess you could say, lol.

This is mostly going to be a relaxation cruise with just one or two real excursions (I say real excursions because I don't count an all inclusive beach pass for a few hours at Mr. Sancho's as an excursion - although I am interested in doing that!) peppered in.

I have read tons of reviews (mostly within the forums - not a huge fan of the "member reviews" section of the website because I love the personal pictures people post on here :) ) but I'm still having a hard time making a decision!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

PS - I know I am for sure going with Carnival, so that's why I posted this in here instead of the new cruisers forum.

anything shorter than a week at sea and you won't feel like you even took a cruise, no less a honeymoon.

Mahogany Bay is lovely and you don't have to "do" anything there; a few shops, a beautiful beach, a gentle and beautifully landscaped walk to the beach area if you don't buy the "flying beachchair" option.

Belize has a great excursion directly from the ship to Starfish Island. Think of sun, sand and hammocks between the palm trees...with actual starfish in a penned area where you can observe and hold them. Schools of fish in the water just feet offshore, too.

Cozumel is very visitor-friendly: wander off the ship, take a taxi (or walk) into town, shop, visit the stores, watch the students at the sea-front snorkel/scuba school, use your high-school Spanish (if you took it). Enjoy lunch, see the fountain in the town square, visit a local bakery...lots to see and do. Stop in at "Mega," a Walmart-like store and see how products are packaged and marketed in a Spanish-speaking country. Very enjoyable port day at virtually no-cost.

Edited by Out of Iowa

Hi everyone!

Just a quick backstory - got married in May 2014 (eloped) and we didn't have quite enough money to take the honeymoon we wanted, so we're planning to take a cruise this November or December and count that as our "honeymoon" lol :D

I have been on a 4 day cruise in the Mediterranean before (back in 2008) but my husband has never cruised before.

We will be leaving from New Orleans, so that gives us 4 options:

1. 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progreso

2. 7 day cruise to Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Cozumel

3. 7 day cruise to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

4. 7 day cruise to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

Initially we were planning on just doing the 5 day cruise because it was cheapest (we are planning to get an interior room by the way) but after some research about Progreso not being a favorite of many, I am reconsidering. I haven't totally sworn it off yet, but this forum seems to be 100% for it or 100% against it, so I can't decide!

My husband is someone who is not necessarily a thrill seeker, and I'm not really either, but one thing I would love to do is swim with dolphins - or really interact with any sea life at all. I love animals. I know that if I do something, he will tag along and probably have even more fun than me! Especially if I can keep him a little tipsy the entire time. ;)

We aren't the kind of people that are going to want to "do something" at every port - for example, swim with dolphins and parasail and shop and go to Mayan ruins and this and that. We aren't really "doers", I guess you could say, lol.

This is mostly going to be a relaxation cruise with just one or two real excursions (I say real excursions because I don't count an all inclusive beach pass for a few hours at Mr. Sancho's as an excursion - although I am interested in doing that!) peppered in.

I have read tons of reviews (mostly within the forums - not a huge fan of the "member reviews" section of the website because I love the personal pictures people post on here :) ) but I'm still having a hard time making a decision!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

PS - I know I am for sure going with Carnival, so that's why I posted this in here instead of the new cruisers forum.

Hi! Welcome to the forum and cruising! I'm going to suggest #4. That was the itinerary for my first cruise. Those ports offer very easy relaxed excursions or beach days, or something more if you want it.

I knock Belize down a peg because (1) it is a long tender and (2) it is not as safe to roam outside the cruise terminal and might be overwhelming. The same could be said for Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, but at least they are not tender ports and you can get to an awesome beach (Dr.'s Cave) in MB cheaply.

anything shorter than a week at sea and you won't feel like you even took a cruise, no less a honeymoon.

Mahogany Bay is lovely and you don't have to "do" anything there; a few shops, a beautiful beach, a gentle and beautifully landscaped walk to the beach area if you don't buy the "flying beachchair" option.

Belize has a great excursion directly from the ship to Starfish Island. Think of sun, sand and hammocks between the palm trees...with actual starfish in a penned area where you can observe and hold them. Schools of fish in the water just feet offshore, too.

Cozumel is very visitor-friendly: wander off the ship, take a taxi (or walk) into town, shop, visit the stores, watch the students at the sea-front snorkel/scuba school, use your high-school Spanish (if you took it). Enjoy lunch, see the fountain in the town square, visit a local bakery...lots to see and do. Stop in at "Mega," a Walmart-like store and see how products are packaged and marketed in a Spanish-speaking country. Very enjoyable port day at virtually no-cost.

Thank you so much for the response! Thank you for mentioning that less than a week isn't enough too. I'll have to show my husband that to convince him to splurge a little more. ;)

I think I recall seeing something in Mahogany Bay where there was a bar and swings, but they were in the water! So you could sit on the swing in either a pool or the ocean (can't remember) and drink... I think I saw that in a review. Does that sound like something you've heard of or done before?

Starfish Island sounds great! I will add that to my research list as well.

And luckily I took about 3 years of Spanish, so Cozumel shouldn't be a problem for me, lol. So it's relatively safe to wander around then?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Hi! Welcome to the forum and cruising! I'm going to suggest #4. That was the itinerary for my first cruise. Those ports offer very easy relaxed excursions or beach days, or something more if you want it.

I knock Belize down a peg because (1) it is a long tender and (2) it is not as safe to roam outside the cruise terminal and might be overwhelming. The same could be said for Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, but at least they are not tender ports and you can get to an awesome beach (Dr.'s Cave) in MB cheaply.

Hi there! Thanks for the welcome and response :)

Do you happen to remember anything you did in Grand Cayman or Montego Bay? I think I saw something about swimming with sting rays in Grand Cayman. Haven't seen much on Montego Bay so I don't know much about it. Will have to add that to my list as well.

Good to know about Belize - Starfish Island sounds like something I would be interested in so I'll have to see if that's within the "safe" area of the dock.

Thank you for replying!!

Hi there! Thanks for the welcome and response :)

Do you happen to remember anything you did in Grand Cayman or Montego Bay? I think I saw something about swimming with sting rays in Grand Cayman. Haven't seen much on Montego Bay so I don't know much about it. Will have to add that to my list as well.

Good to know about Belize - Starfish Island sounds like something I would be interested in so I'll have to see if that's within the "safe" area of the dock.

Thank you for replying!!

The popular excursion in GC is swimming with the sting rays. There are several operators and it's not too expensive. It's also a great experience. You can also easily snorkel on your own in GC (Eden Rock).

MB has a beautiful beach, Doctor's Cave. There are also a few AI options, island tours, Dunn River falls, etc. It really depends on how much you want to spend and/or do.

I know you mentioned swimming with the dolphins. Coz is very popular for this at Chankanaab park. It's a little pricey and it will cost your husband $22 to just get into the park. You can look for specials at dolphindiscoveryDOTcom.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

excursion directly from the ship to Starfish Island; you don't get to the port/dock area so you won't encounter any uncomfortableness there... Belize is very poor and the poverty and resulting social issues can be eye-opening. I've done the airboat tour there while others in our group did cave tubing. They enjoyed the cave tubing. I'm glad I went to the bird preserve and saw crocs in their natural environment....but it was an unfamiliar country and I sensed it was a little less safe than I'm used to.

If you choose Grand Cayman, use private excursion company Moby Dick to visit Stingray Island and experience snorkeling for about an hour, too. Moby Dick's crew are safety-conscious, fun and will give you a much better, "small boat" experience with the stingrays. It's fabulous!

Montego Bay didn't impress me. The taxi to Doctor's Cave beach is cheap, yes. We got tired of just saying no to offers of ganja (marijuana) or sidetrips to stores of the taxidriver's choosing. I would never go there as an unaccompanied female, even in daylight. I wouldn't choose to go there again; instead, I'd stay on the ship and enjoy the ship mostly-empty; something I've never experienced.

These are additional reasons why I highly recommend your Option #2 :)

I will also recommend doing one of the 7 day options. 5 days on a cruise is better than no cruise, but it isn't enough.

Grand Cayman has a very popular excursion to swim with the stingrays. I have been on it, and it really is a great experience. Grand Cayman also has 7 Mile beach which is a quick cab ride from the pier.

Cozumel is very easy to do on your own. I've been there several times, and have even walked off the beaten path downtown and I always felt safe. It's an easy place to just get a taxi downtown, shop a little, and grab a bite to eat. An all inclusive beach day is always nice there too. I know they also have swim with dolphin and manatee excursions in Cozumel as well.

Jamaica and Belize are both places where you will want to do some type of excursion. There is just not a lot to do in the port area of either place, and the locals in Jamaica can be very pushy. There are lots of things to do in either place, even if you just want to do a beach day or snorkel, but I would do an excursion through the ship instead of on your own.

Mahogany Bay is the easiest out of all of them for a basic beach day. You just walk down the path and you're at the beach. There are free lounge chairs there, or you can rent a clamshell if you need shade. They also rent out several things like snorkeling equipment and kayaks.

If you go to Carnival's website and go to "explore" you can click on shore excursions and then look at the options in each port. There are descriptions and reviews of all of the options there.

The popular excursion in GC is swimming with the sting rays. There are several operators and it's not too expensive. It's also a great experience. You can also easily snorkel on your own in GC (Eden Rock).

MB has a beautiful beach, Doctor's Cave. There are also a few AI options, island tours, Dunn River falls, etc. It really depends on how much you want to spend and/or do.

I know you mentioned swimming with the dolphins. Coz is very popular for this at Chankanaab park. It's a little pricey and it will cost your husband $22 to just get into the park. You can look for specials at dolphindiscoveryDOTcom.

Thank you so much for the website for the dolphin swimming! That and stingrays sound like a lot of fun. I do have a dumb question though - what does "AI" mean in Montego Bay? I only know it as "artificial intelligence" lol!

excursion directly from the ship to Starfish Island; you don't get to the port/dock area so you won't encounter any uncomfortableness there... Belize is very poor and the poverty and resulting social issues can be eye-opening. I've done the airboat tour there while others in our group did cave tubing. They enjoyed the cave tubing. I'm glad I went to the bird preserve and saw crocs in their natural environment....but it was an unfamiliar country and I sensed it was a little less safe than I'm used to.

If you choose Grand Cayman, use private excursion company Moby Dick to visit Stingray Island and experience snorkeling for about an hour, too. Moby Dick's crew are safety-conscious, fun and will give you a much better, "small boat" experience with the stingrays. It's fabulous!

Montego Bay didn't impress me. The taxi to Doctor's Cave beach is cheap, yes. We got tired of just saying no to offers of ganja (marijuana) or sidetrips to stores of the taxidriver's choosing. I would never go there as an unaccompanied female, even in daylight. I wouldn't choose to go there again; instead, I'd stay on the ship and enjoy the ship mostly-empty; something I've never experienced.

These are additional reasons why I highly recommend your Option #2 :)

Thanks so much for this info! Good to know about Belize, because I have been interested in that port! I will search Moby Dick's too, in case we end up going to GC.

And I have heard about some of the vendors from Montego Bay from a friend that went there - thanks for mentioning that too.

Do you know anything about Ocho Rios? Is it kinda like Montego Bay, since it's also in Jamaica? lol

I will also recommend doing one of the 7 day options. 5 days on a cruise is better than no cruise' date=' but it isn't enough.

Grand Cayman has a very popular excursion to swim with the stingrays. I have been on it, and it really is a great experience. Grand Cayman also has 7 Mile beach which is a quick cab ride from the pier.

Cozumel is very easy to do on your own. I've been there several times, and have even walked off the beaten path downtown and I always felt safe. It's an easy place to just get a taxi downtown, shop a little, and grab a bite to eat. An all inclusive beach day is always nice there too. I know they also have swim with dolphin and manatee excursions in Cozumel as well.

Jamaica and Belize are both places where you will want to do some type of excursion. There is just not a lot to do in the port area of either place, and the locals in Jamaica can be very pushy. There are lots of things to do in either place, even if you just want to do a beach day or snorkel, but I would do an excursion through the ship instead of on your own.

Mahogany Bay is the easiest out of all of them for a basic beach day. You just walk down the path and you're at the beach. There are free lounge chairs there, or you can rent a clamshell if you need shade. They also rent out several things like snorkeling equipment and kayaks.

If you go to Carnival's website and go to "explore" you can click on shore excursions and then look at the options in each port. There are descriptions and reviews of all of the options there.[/quote']

Okay, great! I think I am pretty much sold on 7 day now. lol, after 3 people telling me I think I'd be crazy to choose 5 day at this point!

And yeah, I have searched through Carnival's site some and found a lot! Almost information overload. Sometimes it's just nicer to hear personal opinions directly from people that care more about your experience than making a cruise line look good or bad. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Thank you so much for the website for the dolphin swimming! That and stingrays sound like a lot of fun. I do have a dumb question though - what does "AI" mean in Montego Bay? I only know it as "artificial intelligence" lol!

All inclusive resort - most of the facility, and most of the food and drink, are included with one price. There are some resorts in MB and surrounding area that offer AI day passes. Sunscape splash and Rose Hall are two. You can see some at resortforadayDOTcom.

All inclusive resort - most of the facility, and most of the food and drink, are included with one price. There are some resorts in MB and surrounding area that offer AI day passes. Sunscape splash and Rose Hall are two. You can see some at resortforadayDOTcom.

Gotcha, I should've guessed, lol. Thanks!

Thanks so much for this info! Good to know about Belize, because I have been interested in that port! I will search Moby Dick's too, in case we end up going to GC.

And I have heard about some of the vendors from Montego Bay from a friend that went there - thanks for mentioning that too.

Do you know anything about Ocho Rios? Is it kinda like Montego Bay, since it's also in Jamaica? lol

I've actually stayed at the old Beaches resort on Doctor Cave's beach as well as gone to it as a port excursion. All you have to say to the vendors is "No, no, no, I don't smoke it no more" with a smile and you will be left alone. Same with the vendors at Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios where there are 2 exits to leave that park. Roatan and Tabyana Beach have vendors, but if you treat them with respect, you will be treated with respect. Those who opt for the closest lounge to the water will have the most contact with vendors.

I've been to Ocho Rios several times over the years, and I was really impressed on how much that area has improved by last year. From newly paved roads, to landscaping crews and litter pickup along the highway, to getting a majority of the beggars away from the port area, all were major improvements. You can opt for a relaxed day there at a resort for a day site too.

I'm a New Yorker, so I learned early on in NYC how to deal with diverse people. If you act like you fit in, you will have no problems.

I think it would be #3 for me. 4 would be second. Not a big fan of Jamaica but like it more than the alternatives. Tour around Caymen Island, including the turtle farm is pretty entertaining, as well as the Sting Rays. All have some lovely beaches to just relax at and enjoy.

Bottom line, you're on vacation, you're on a cruise, it can't be all bad.

I feel so bad Jamaica is getting such a bad rap. My first time in Jamaica was a land vacay and I was by myself and I never once felt unsafe. I said no and kept it moving and I wasn't bothered. My next cruise I'm going to Ochi (not a fan but that's because I love Negril so much) and Grand Cayman. I would love to make it a 7 day and not a 5 day but its during Christmas time when the prices are significantly higher and I'm trying soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to stick to a budget. Whatever choice you make I'm sure you and your husband will have an awesome time!!!!

For a honeymoon you easily have to do 7 nights minimum. We have tried a few shorter cruises and they really do not give you the real cruise experience. Seven nights will be perfect and will allow you to really relax and partake in most of what the ship has to offer. My fiance and I are also doing our honeymoon on the ship and we chose a longer cruise for ours as well. All of the 7 day itineraries look great, I would pick the cheapest so you can indulge on excursions and some spa treatments

I would go with the 7 day if you can. 5 days is not really enough time to experience everything. I am not a big fan of Belize. I really did not care for it. Cozumel is my favorite port. Jamaica is beautiful, but people can be pushy there, especially when it comes to marijuana. But its not that bad. I have been to both Ochos Rios and Montego and preferred Ochos Rios a little more. But in MOntego bay Carnival had a hop on/hop off bus for $10 pp (which you could pay with your on board account) that stopped at the shopping center, beach, margaritaville, and a few other places. That was good for us. I like Margaritaville. :D Yes it is a tourist trap, but they have a cool slide into the water and its a fun environment.

When we went to Jamaica last year I think we stopped at Montego Bay and we went to the Great Hope House. Don't do it. We didn't like it.

When we went to the Cayman's we went to seven mile beach and snorkeled there. We had a blast.

We just did a 7-day that included: Grand Cayman, Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Cozumel.

In Grand Cayman, we did the Dolphin and Stingray encounter. Make sure you pick the right excursion. Get the Dolphin one that includes being pushed by the dolphin, and being pulled by the dolphin.

In Mahogany Bay, we did the Snuba excursion. It was ok. Snuba is half way between snorkling and scuba diving. It was a unique experience. However, the site also had Zip Line, monkey tour, and its own beach. The beach at the cruise dock is quite crowded, so the private beach on the snuba excursion was nice. Also, they only charged $35 USD to do the zip line, so I took them up on that offer.

In Belize, we did the excursion to the Myan ruins.

In Cozumel, we did the Amazing River excursion. It is run by Rio Secreto.

Skip the 5 day cruise, before you know it your honeymoon will be over. Heres something to remember, one full cruise day is your embarkation and debarkation day. For example, a 5 day cruise only has 4 full days of cruising. Belize, and Jamaica are not my favorite Islands. Grand Caymen you can take a bus to 7 mile beach, Cozumel you can do beach excursion, and I would choose Jamaica over Belize. If you go to Montego Bay, you can get a cab to the beach downtown and afterwards go to Margarettaville for a cool drink on thier deck. There are as many people who do not like Jamaica as do like it. As mentioned in one other post, the people can get pushy, and when we walked through the street in MB we were bothered by drug dealers. Go with an open mind and make your own decision. Check the excursions for dolphin and sting ray tours. Have a great cruise which ever one you choose.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I would definitely choose #4. We are cruising in Sept and our itinerary is the same as #2, only because we did Jamaica before and wanted to experience Mahagony Bay. I was on the Magic a couple years back, and my daughter did a dolphin excursion at Chankanaab (Cozumel). It was WONDERFUL! She was really struggling to be "pushed" by the dolphins so they kept working with her and taking more time with her so she could experience it. I was very impressed! She LOVED it, and she will forever remember it...

Grand Cayman was beautiful! We just took a van to the beach and spent the entire day just relaxing. Highly recommend!

We didn't know what to do in Jamaica, but in the end we chose to zipline. I am terrified of heights, but I didn't want to be the "chicken" of the group, so I sucked it up and ziplined with the rest. LOVED it! Would do it again...the guides were awesome and the hike was beautiful.

And I 100% agree with making it a 7-day vs. a 5-day. Whichever you choose I am sure you will have a great time!

Edited by momof4girls

I've actually stayed at the old Beaches resort on Doctor Cave's beach as well as gone to it as a port excursion. All you have to say to the vendors is "No, no, no, I don't smoke it no more" with a smile and you will be left alone. Same with the vendors at Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios where there are 2 exits to leave that park. Roatan and Tabyana Beach have vendors, but if you treat them with respect, you will be treated with respect. Those who opt for the closest lounge to the water will have the most contact with vendors.

I've been to Ocho Rios several times over the years, and I was really impressed on how much that area has improved by last year. From newly paved roads, to landscaping crews and litter pickup along the highway, to getting a majority of the beggars away from the port area, all were major improvements. You can opt for a relaxed day there at a resort for a day site too.

I'm a New Yorker, so I learned early on in NYC how to deal with diverse people. If you act like you fit in, you will have no problems.

I'm not so much concerned with the vendors that we would encounter on the street, because like you said, you can just smile and be respectful and keep walking. What concerns me are the ones on the beaches - I have read a few posts and people have said that they were asked almost every 10 minutes if they wanted a massage, a hair braid, etc. while they were relaxing on the loungers. Do you have any experience with that? To me, that would be the most aggravating!

Okay so overall you've enjoyed Ocho Rios? Good to know.. that is the one port I haven't done as much research on.

I am from New Orleans so I am kinda like you in that I have encountered all kinds of people. :D

Thank you for your reply, you've been a great help!

I think it would be #3 for me. 4 would be second. Not a big fan of Jamaica but like it more than the alternatives. Tour around Caymen Island, including the turtle farm is pretty entertaining, as well as the Sting Rays. All have some lovely beaches to just relax at and enjoy.

Bottom line, you're on vacation, you're on a cruise, it can't be all bad.

Hi there! Thank you for sharing! I have narrowed it down to #2 and #3 - simply due to dates being convenient for those 2 itineraries.

Can you tell me why you aren't a big fan of Jamaica, yet like it more than the alternatives? That is probably the one port (specifically Ocho Rios since Montego Bay isn't an option in 2 or 3) that I am waffling on.

And you're right! The fact that we are able to cruise is the best part, no matter where we end up going. Grand Cayman sounds the most appealing to me though!