Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

If you have another one in mind, don't hesitate.

Thank you so much for all the informations. we really appreciate

We will also be in Copenhagen from June 21 to June 24 before a Baltic Cruise and have reserved at The Scandic Place Hotel. It offers breakfast and is in front of the City Hall, a corner from Strøget street which is a pedestrian, car free shopping area and close to the railway station from the airport - under a 10 min walk and many attractions. https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels/denmark/copenhagen/scandic-palace

I don't know the dimensions of the beds at the Wakeup Borgegade compared to the beds at the other hotels you listed, but I will say I found the bed in our room last year to be no smaller than the queen-sized bed in our cabin on the HAL Eurodam. I can't sleep with my spouse in any bed smaller than a queen, and I slept well at the Wakeup Borgegade.

(If you like everything about the Wakeup Borgegade but the perceived size of the beds, you may want to email them and ask for the measurements. I had some questions before we booked and the staff answered them in a prompt and friendly manner.)

Thanks for the information and you are right... I did a double check and the beds is bigger than I tough so I add this hotel on my list. Just make it harder to choose...

Thanks again

We will also be in Copenhagen from June 21 to June 24 before a Baltic Cruise and have reserved at The Scandic Place Hotel. It offers breakfast and is in front of the City Hall, a corner from Strøget street which is a pedestrian, car free shopping area and close to the railway station from the airport - under a 10 min walk and many attractions. https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels...scandic-palace

Thanks for the information. The Scandic Palace is a nice hotel but the price is a bit high.

Enjoy your stay and cruise

Hi again,

Today, I had some time and continue my search for the hotel and my list is down to 2 hotels... the Copenhagen Admiral and the Wakeup Borgegade....

With the informations I have, the Wakeup Borgegade is a low price, small but OK, well situated and no problem for transportation.

The Copenhagen Admiral is quite different. More expensive but not that much. It is well situated (better or worse than the WakeUp ???). My only concern is the transportation.... Is it easy to go from airport to hotel ? and from the hotel to the port (I'm on the NCL Getaway on october 7) ? and what about restaurants ?

if anyone could help me with this informations, it will be appreciate

Thanks in advance

Some stats and info for next years cruise season.

There is 322 cruise calls next years with 4 of them being christmas cruises.

Unlike the previuos years, CM Port will not use the freeport terminal so only Oceankaj, Langeliniekaj and Nordre Toldbod is in use and that will make it easier to find your ship.

JUst like any other years then all ships taking on new passengers will use Oceankaj and the smaller ships wiill use Nordre Toldbod closer to downtown Copenhagen.

Langelinie will just be used for visiting ships as it doesn´t have any terminals or other passenger facilities.

The main station for the busses to and from Oceankaj is Østerport but the ticket hall is closed for the next 2,5 years because of major renovation work on the 120 years old building.

The station will function as usual but the toilet facilities and the 7-Eleven kiosk will be closed.

But as the bus terminal is located at the other end of the platform it shouldn´t cause any problems for the cruise passengers.

Thank you Danish Viking for all your detailed information, just wondering how I can clarify that our ship Koningsdam will be using Langelinie and not Oceankaj when we are visiting on 23 May 2017 please as one web site about Copenhagen Port indicated that we would be docked in Oceankaj?

As the ticket hall will be closed does this mean that you won't be able to buy tickets?

Separately, is it feasible to travel to Roskilde (Viking Museum) and also walk around the city centre both before and after (Nyhavn, City Hall, Rosenburg Castle) in 7-6.5 hours? I appreciate your advice.

According to the official website its Oceankaj from 07:00-16:00.

At Østerport the 7-Eleven is closed so its only the ticket machines that are possible to use.

A 8 zone ticket costs 84 kroner but a 24 ticket only 130.

Its possible to buy the ticket on the phone.

http://dinoffentligetransport.dk/billetter-og-priser/find-og-koeb-billet/koeb-billet/

choose Andre billetter

24 timersbillet

If you can´t type the letter Ø just write Oesterport or Oceankaj 2150 Nordhavn if you want to have a valid ticket all the way from the ship.

Then just type your phone number

then type Fortsæt.

According to the official website its Oceankaj from 07:00-16:00.

At Østerport the 7-Eleven is closed so its only the ticket machines that are possible to use.

A 8 zone ticket costs 84 kroner but a 24 ticket only 130.

Its possible to buy the ticket on the phone.

http://dinoffentligetransport.dk/billetter-og-priser/find-og-koeb-billet/koeb-billet/

choose Andre billetter

24 timersbillet

If you can´t type the letter Ø just write Oesterport or Oceankaj 2150 Nordhavn if you want to have a valid ticket all the way from the ship.

Then just type your phone number

then type Fortsæt.

Danish King, Thank you very much for this information, the information you provide throughout this site is invaluable.

If my cruise ends at 7am on a Tuesday in Copenhagen, what's the earliest flight time I should get out to USA? Latest flight I can get is 12:20. Would I make that?

I don't know with which company you cruise. But I will be on a Baltic cruise from Copenhagen with Princess in June and on the website I can read this:

AIR FLIGHT GUIDELINES

If you have purchased independent air arrangements, please ensure your air schedule falls within these guidelines as Princess is not responsible for making any alternate arrangements or for any out of pocket expenses that may arise should you miss your cruise or cruisetour and/or return flight. The times listed below are subject to change.

Embarkation: Copenhagen - Latest international flight arrivals: 2 hours, 30 minutes prior to the ship's departure. Latest domestic flight arrivals: 2 hours prior to the ship's departure.

Disembarkation: Copenhagen - Earliest flight departures: 4 hours, 30 minutes after the ship's arrival.

So I think a 12:20 flight would be a little risky!!!

If my cruise ends at 7am on a Tuesday in Copenhagen, what's the earliest flight time I should get out to USA? Latest flight I can get is 12:20. Would I make that?

Very likely, yes.

Last year we did self-debarkation from our HAL ship at Oceankaj around 7:45 am. We used public transportation (bus and train) and were at the airport, through immigration and sitting at our gate by 10:30 am. We sat around for 2 hours before our 12:30 pm flight to the States.

So somewhat complicated question. We are flying in a couple of days early and have hotel reservations at Hotel Christian IV.

We are booked on a 9 night Baltic (NCL). Logistically, we've decided to stay a night at the end of our cruise as well, currently booked at the Crowne Plaza since it's closer to the airport and our flight leaves early.

Does anyone have a suggestion for sites outside city center on our last day? IOW, say we drop our bags off after debarkation at Crowne Plaza and check out something we probably wouldn't have seen in city center before the cruise.

Also, what are the must sees during our stay downtown? Is the Copenhagen Card worth it? We are traveling with out 15 yo daughter. I'll also read through this great thread for info.

Thx.

So somewhat complicated question. We are flying in a couple of days early and have hotel reservations at Hotel Christian IV.

We are booked on a 9 night Baltic (NCL). Logistically, we've decided to stay a night at the end of our cruise as well, currently booked at the Crowne Plaza since it's closer to the airport and our flight leaves early.

Does anyone have a suggestion for sites outside city center on our last day? IOW, say we drop our bags off after debarkation at Crowne Plaza and check out something we probably wouldn't have seen in city center before the cruise.

Also, what are the must sees during our stay downtown? Is the Copenhagen Card worth it? We are traveling with out 15 yo daughter. I'll also read through this great thread for info.

Thx.

Without knowing what you'd like to see / do they're both leading questions!

I would head over to the Copenhagen page on TripAdvisor and take a look at the things to do. Maybe post a question on the forum there...

If you look on the Copenhagen card website (http://www.copenhagencard.com/?ld=0&currency=eur) there's a calculator which will help determine whether the card is worth it or not. Two caveats though. Firstly, Copenhagen itself is incredibly walkable and second, the card assumes transport costs per day for an all zone card (DKK130 / 65) vs. a City Card (DKK80 / 40)

The Crowne Plaza is close to the airport - but from the city centre it's only ~15 minutes by metro to the airport.

Edited by BritinSoCal

Only if you decide for a trip to the castles of north Zealand I could see the use of the Copenhagen Card, because I would say that if you should make the full use of it only in central Copenhagen you will be visiting museums from early morning and end up in Tivoli at the evening or something like that.

Ok thank you. Our flight gets in on June 1st around 4 and we leave on the cruise on the 3rd. So we have a little over a day to do sightseeing. We are mainly interested in the historical/local stuff but would be interested in Tivoli as well. This is our first trip to Copenhagen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Danish viking,

My husband and I are flying from Tennessee USA to Copenhagen on Oct 3rd, then get on the NCL Getaway ship on Oct 7th to do a baltic and Back to back trans cruise. We have never been to Copenhagen. I think we would like staying near the Stroget street to shop and enjoy the street entertainers. Where is the most economical place to stay in a private room with a bathroom attached that is near there? Since we have 4 days what is there to visit a trains ride away? (we dont like museums much) Is there a castle tour? boat tour? are they included in the Copenhagen card? Do many people speak english in Copenhagen? Is the public transport easy to figure out? thanks for your help.

Danish viking,

My husband and I are flying from Tennessee USA to Copenhagen on Oct 3rd, then get on the NCL Getaway ship on Oct 7th to do a baltic and Back to back trans cruise. We have never been to Copenhagen. I think we would like staying near the Stroget street to shop and enjoy the street entertainers. Where is the most economical place to stay in a private room with a bathroom attached that is near there? Since we have 4 days what is there to visit a trains ride away? (we dont like museums much) Is there a castle tour? boat tour? are they included in the Copenhagen card? Do many people speak english in Copenhagen? Is the public transport easy to figure out? thanks for your help.

Stroget is the main shopping drag. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc... Personally, I'd head over to the Copenhagen pages on TripAdvisor and check out the hotel reviews or wait for input from here. Basically Copenhagen is incredibly compact, easily walkable and when it isn't, has a fantastic integrated public transport system (trains / metro and water bus especially are a breeze).

In four days you could visit the Botanical Gardens, climb to the top of the round tower or the church of our saviour (or both), visit several castles (all within Copenhagen itself - spoiler alert - some of them are a bit museumy but Denmark does have a lot of history!) and see the Danish crown jewels, take a canal cruise, see the little mermaid (on second thoughts she's a bit "meh" - iconic, but "meh" never the less...) and visit the Tivoli Gardens...

You could take a ~ 1 hour train to Hillerød and Frederiksborg Slot and garden (yes it's a museum - but it's pretty spectacular) or Helsingør and Kronborg Slot which is the setting for Shakespeare's "Hamlet." Alternatively - you could check out the Things to Do over on TripAdvisor.

For more info. on the Copenhagen card, what's included, cost, etc... http://www.copenhagencard.com/?ld=0&currency=eur

And yes the locals speak English (and 'Murican :D) - we learnt a few words of Danish so as not to feel totally embarrassed...