Interesting Data

After seeing some complaints about Anthem being understaffed, I decided to do some research to see if the numbers bare out:

I compared Crew to Passenger Ratios across Quantum, Oasis, Freedom, Oasis and Explorer class ships.

I went in with a theory that the ratios of crew to passengers were (1) decreasing - there were more or the same amount of passengers to fewer crew on Quantum Class than other classes, justifying the complaints and that (2) as newer ships are deployed, that more recent deployments contain fewer crew to passengers as a trend.

Quantum Class: 1 Crew Member for every 3.25 Passengers

Oasis Class: 1 Crew Member for every 2 .65 Passengers

Freedom Class: 1 Crew Member for every 3.21 Passengers

Radiance Class: 1 Crew member for every 2.58 Passengers

Explorer Class: 1 Crew Member for every 3.27 Passengers

Statistically, it does not appear that Quantum Class is staffed any less than either Freedom or Explorer Class, which have very good ratings.

The devil may be in the details, which I don't have access to, which would include the break-down by roles within the number of staff.

For example, does Quantum Class have a deficiency in staff in Dining, compared to other classes with similar staff such as Freedom or Explorer Class?

The data also does not illustrate a specific trend towards decreasing staff to passenger ratios with new deployments, something that I had read somewhere before.

I wonder if Quantum class with the different dining system might require a higher crew ratio because of the multiple smaller venues. Might have an issue with new rollouts with everyone figuring out there role too. Did Oasis/Allure have similar issues on first roll out?

The term "Crew Member" can be misleading. A Crew Member (if I recall correctly) includes all the crew (deck hands, kitchen staff, etc.), not just the service crew (wait staff, bar staff, stateroom attendants, etc.). The ratio for Anthem may be higher because they may not need as many non-service staff since the ship is so heavy into technology. Don't know this for a fact, just speculating.

The term "Crew Member" can be misleading. A Crew Member (if I recall correctly) includes all the crew (deck hands, kitchen staff, etc.), not just the service crew (wait staff, bar staff, stateroom attendants, etc.). The ratio for Anthem may be higher because they may not need as many non-service staff since the ship is so heavy into technology. Don't know this for a fact, just speculating.

I agree. And on Allure, for example, there are a lot of crew that are for entertainment, where they seem to have more in that area than other ships in their fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Quite interesting. I'd love to see a department by department breakdown if those sorts of numbers ever became available, particularly in the front-facing departments like Food & Beverage, Hotel, and Activities. Although I'd point out that there is no Explorer class - I do believe you mean Voyager class here.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

Quite interesting. I'd love to see a department by department breakdown if those sorts of numbers ever became available, particularly in the front-facing departments like Food & Beverage, Hotel, and Activities. Although I'd point out that there is no Explorer class - I do believe you mean Voyager class here.

Doh! You're right!

To really have a good picture, we would need two additional pieces of information:

Total square footage or usable capacity by space types (dining, entertainment,etc.) by ship class, and the number of staff assigned to each space type by ship class.

I imagine it being a new ship, new dining experience, and new menus all play a part in the customer service experience. That and the unfortunate weather/sickness incidents of late probably cause people to be a little more negative about other parts of the sailing than they might normally be.

I imagine it being a new ship, new dining experience, and new menus all play a part in the customer service experience. That and the unfortunate weather/sickness incidents of late probably cause people to be a little more negative about other parts of the sailing than they might normally be.

Yep. I was trying to show that at least at a high level, the data doesn't support the concept that they're under staffed.

With that, they may be understaffed in some areas and over staffed in others.

The data that's available doesn't get to that level, unfortunately.