new solo cruiser -- some questions!

happy_trees

I am new to solo cruising..

just wondering if there is a way to search for cruises with single deals... especially when one is looking for a specific itinerary...

I am going through a divorce and budget is an issue though I am able to travel "off season"

Lorraine

Check out cruise plum. It isn't a TA website but you can find some good deals there. I regularly stalk the site to help feed my newfound solo cruise addiction. Won't mention how many cruises I have booked and how many more I want to book..... Let's just say at this point in life I'm working to feed my cruise addiction.

I have found some great solo deals on cruiseplum.com. The website is easy to navigate. I check it every day for new offers.

As for NCL studio cabins, NOT FOR ME!!! Tiny !! I sailed in a balcony cheaper than the studio on the NCL Breakaway.

Hi folks,

I'm a long-time solo cruiser (frankly, I prefer solo cruising to non-solo cruising), and I've never been charged more than the expected 100% single supplement. :)

However, in the situation described above in this thread, where RC wanted to charge 400%, and/or won't give any of the discounts/perks non-solos get, couldn't a person just book a stateroom for 2 (for example, myself and my sister, all on my credit card), get the discounts/perks/usual price, then show up at the ship and say "My sister broke her leg! How terrible! She's not able to cruise after all"? How would they know? Or even if they suspected, what could they do about it? :p;)

Thoughts?

MEE

Hi folks,

I'm a long-time solo cruiser (frankly, I prefer solo cruising to non-solo cruising), and I've never been charged more than the expected 100% single supplement. :)

However, in the situation described above in this thread, where RC wanted to charge 400%, and/or won't give any of the discounts/perks non-solos get, couldn't a person just book a stateroom for 2 (for example, myself and my sister, all on my credit card), get the discounts/perks/usual price, then show up at the ship and say "My sister broke her leg! How terrible! She's not able to cruise after all"? How would they know? Or even if they suspected, what could they do about it? :p;)

Thoughts?

MEE

I have heard of people being refused to board when they tried that on river cruises for their 2 for 1 specials....but could that be an urban myth? I would think if it was doable, somewhere we would have read/heard about it.....

• 1 month later...
Any line charging more than 100% supplement--I'd book for 2 or 3 to get the discount and then not have the phantom cruisers show. I've done that when the wanted to take my cabin away.

crusinpsychRN, at what time did you inform the ship the other passengers were not arriving? There are certainly situations when the sales are great but the single rate is 3 times the price - a recent Cunard comes to mind.....so how did you succeed in pulling it off?

crusinpsychRN, at what time did you inform the ship the other passengers were not arriving? There are certainly situations when the sales are great but the single rate is 3 times the price - a recent Cunard comes to mind.....so how did you succeed in pulling it off?

It was when they had a 3rd and 4th person sail free promotion. I have to pay double anyway so I booked 3 in the cabin and at embarkation I told them I didn't think they'd make it.

It was when they had a 3rd and 4th person sail free promotion. I have to pay double anyway so I booked 3 in the cabin and at embarkation I told them I didn't think they'd make it.

Thanks for the clarification you were able to pull it off.