new solo cruiser -- some questions!

happy_trees

Hello everyone! I've been a long-time lurker, but not mainly of this forum, and have been on a number of cruises. Never been a solo cruiser before. Recently, the person I was going to takie an Alaska cruise with got sick and won't be able to go ... I think it's a matter of probably not being able to go in the future, unfortunately. We were about to book when she got the news.

So I thought I'd change things, and see if I could find a slightly cheaper cruise, knowing I'd probably wind up paying a single supplement for the unused bed in the cabin.

What I discovered as I was looking around was that it's not just going to cost double, but will in many cases cost three or four times as much. I was really surprised by one cruise line (not sure if I can or should mention names) that told me flat-out solos weren't eligible for any discounts, so four times the price of a person sharing a cabin was normal.

So suddenly, solo's looking much more expensive -- about four times the price -- and puts the idea of cruising out of the realm of possibility. I'll have to look for other ways to get up to Alaska, perhaps. I was wondering two things:

1. Is this type of much-more expensive pricing normal? Is it normal for solo cruisers to not be eligible for promotional discounts?

2. Are there good places/sites/lines to search for solo cruise prices?

I'm not thrilled with paying a solo supplement, but I can do so. I just can't bring myself to pay 4x the cruise price, though.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Four times for a solo is ridiculous! I don't know what line you were talking with but don't believe that their information is true for all cruise lines. Last year I took a Royal Caribbean cruise. They normally charge double for solos but they were having a "Buy on get one half off" promotion when I booked, so I paid 150%.

There are some lines that do not normally charge 200% for some cabins. If you want a balcony or suite you will almost always pay 200%.

Check out this site for solo deals.

BTW, I would love to know which cruise line you talked with. You can mention cruise lines just not travel agents.

Edited by Scrapnana

Thanks for the reply -- unfortunately, it *was* RC. I'd seen several people in the bargains thread say they'd got great fares solo on the May 27th Alaska cruise -- apparently I missed that deal, because that same cruise is $499 per person, double occupancy right now, but is $1678 for a solo cruiser before taxes. Inside cabin. That was the cheapest option. I called to double-check after I got that price on the website, and the person I talked to said solo cruisers were ineligible for any special rates that were offered to people with double occupancy. The total price, after taxes, fees, and before gratuities, was $2012.

What a difference a week makes. :(

I'm keeping an eye on plum cruises to see if anything pops up that works with the dates I was planning to be gone. Was hoping there were other tips people have ... I can be rather flexible, and I've done inside, OV, and balcony before -- not going to be picky. Just looking for something that's not going to cost me the same as an entire family to travel.

Thanks for the reply -- unfortunately, it *was* RC. I'd seen several people in the bargains thread say they'd got great fares solo on the May 27th Alaska cruise -- apparently I missed that deal, because that same cruise is $499 per person, double occupancy right now, but is $1678 for a solo cruiser before taxes. Inside cabin. That was the cheapest option. I called to double-check after I got that price on the website, and the person I talked to said solo cruisers were ineligible for any special rates that were offered to people with double occupancy. The total price, after taxes, fees, and before gratuities, was $2012.

What a difference a week makes. :(

I'm keeping an eye on plum cruises to see if anything pops up that works with the dates I was planning to be gone. Was hoping there were other tips people have ... I can be rather flexible, and I've done inside, OV, and balcony before -- not going to be picky. Just looking for something that's not going to cost me the same as an entire family to travel.

If you are talking about Radiance of the Seas on May 27, then I see what you mean. That seems prohibitive to charge so much extra instead of a 100% supplement which would make it $998 plus taxes for a solo.

Hopefully something will give or you may have to price a different cruise line.

If you had travel insurance on your initial booking, if your companion had a valid medical reason for being unable to travel, I think the travel insurance covers the extra cost for you to sail in the cabin alone.

That probably only works if both of you had the same travel insurance.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps you (or someone else)!

Fortunately, we'd not booked. We had picked out the cruise, then just one thing after another ... her doc visits, etc, made us wait ... so at least no one is out money for the initial one we'd planned on, which was a Princess Land and Cruise in June. I can move my dates to May to make the cruise a bit cheaper, and although I didn't want to forego the land portion, I could to make it cheaper .... so I'm OK with *some* singleton supplement. Even if RC wanted to charge me double for that cruise on the 27th, it would have been OK. But charging me almost 4x as much is unbelieveable.

Still looking around. I figure I have probably 2-3 weeks before it'll become unlikely to find a cruise that I can also get affordable airfare to. We'll see.

I don't know about Alaska but I just got a quote from my TA for a 12 day cruise on Anthem of the Seas for 1309.39 gratuities included for a studio cabin. There are deals out there for solo's but it does take work to find them.

Hi, I have been cruising solo for many years but have never heard of

being charged 4 times the price:eek:...yes, you are allowed to name

cruiselines....so Royal Caribbean is charging you 4times the price? I

agree, that is ridiculous......

I am fine paying double (well not really fine but I do it because I know

that is the price I pay) but as for 3 times more? That makes no sense

to me at all.

Did you speak with someone about it? Normally they charge double because

they want 2 people in that cabin.......did they give a reason for the extra

supplements?:confused:

to me at all.

I agree, I have never heard of paying 3 or 4 times the price! :eek: I always cruise solo and I always pay double but that's because Celebrity is my line of choice and balcony is my preferred cabin so I have to bite the bullet. The only bargains you will probably find are inside or single cabins and I refuse to stay in them, just my personal preference. :) But no way would I pay 4 times the price for any cruise.

Sue

to me at all.

The price I got was off the internet using their booking system, so then I called to talk to them because that seemed incorrect ... I simply got told the price on the internet was correct and they gave me the updated with port fees and other taxes price which the 1678 didn't include.

So, I sent in an email asking about why a solo cruiser in a cabin that could only hold 3 people was being asked to pay a few hundred more than if they had the three people in the cabin.

Haven't heard back. I'm curious if I will, and I hope I do. But I have no idea how long it takes them to get around to replying to emails, if they even do. I think at this point, I may look at rail/land Alaska trips instead -- some of them have very low single supplements.

Also, I saw after the fact that just a few days before people on this board were getting a fare that had a 50% single supplement. I would have been happy with that fare, but maybe that ended before the sale fares for double occupancy that are good through tomorrow? I also was flexible with the type of cabin -- I've had balconies, OVs, interior. I prefer being able to see the sun, but I'll take what works best for my budget.

Everyone's been really helpful with me getting my mind around what are normal supplements and where to find some of the deals online, so thank you to people in this thread or via messages. :-)

A few years ago, I was trying to book a cabin with Celebrity online, It was available when the web site defaulted to having 2 people in the cabin, but was unavailable when I changed it to 1 person. Not just double the price - not available at all. I thought that was odd!

So I called, and was told by the customer service rep that only a certain percent of the cabins were allowed to be occupied by solo passengers. They would miss out on all of the extras that people purchase. Still not a palatable response, so I decided that would not be a cruise I would go on.

The next day, the low (double occupancy) fare was still out there, so for grins, I tried again. And low and behold, it allowed me then to book it as a solo for the 'normal' double price.

Don't know if that helps, but sometimes perseverance does pay off!

I agree, I have never heard of paying 3 or 4 times the price! :eek: I always cruise solo and I always pay double but that's because Celebrity is my line of choice and balcony is my preferred cabin so I have to bite the bullet. The only bargains you will probably find are inside or single cabins and I refuse to stay in them, just my personal preference. :) But no way would I pay 4 times the price for any cruise.

Sue

Hi

Joining in on the solo cruise pricing, I booked a solo cruise with MSC to Bermuda and was charged double the price, I did inquire about solo pricing and this cruise line does not offer it so, I bit the bullet also and booked knowing I would be put in a smaller cabin. Next solo cruise I will be looking at other cruise lines that offer supplement pricing for solo cruisers.

Have you considered NCL which has ships with studio cabins especially for solo travellers without the dreaded single supplements. I have been on Epic twice and the studio cabins, although small, are quite adequate for solos. Solo travellers also have their own designated Studio Lounge which is open 24/7 where you can get tea, coffee, hot chocolate and snacks. You can even grab a nice continental breakfast there. There is a bar open every evening. The Studio Lounge has its own co-ordinator who will arrange for groups of solos to have dinner together, take in the shows etc and the lounge is a great way to get to know others travelling alone. Access to the lounge is denied to others as your cruise card is swiped to indicate you are a solo traveller and entry can only be gained to the lounge with the special card.

If you are lucky enough to get a good deal for anything other than the studio cabin via a promotion (or personal choice) then you can still use the studio lounge but need to have your cruise card swiped to indicate you are travelling alone.

NCL are certainly geared up for the solo passengers and it is a pity that other cruise lines do not offer similar perks.

Suron

Edited by suron
information omitted

I've looked into the NCL studios -- I'm not sold on them, as they look like they're very small -- and this coming from someone used to UK room sizes! But more importantly, they're not on the Alaska routes this summer, so they're out. Thank you, though!

I've looked into the NCL studios -- I'm not sold on them, as they look like they're very small -- and this coming from someone used to UK room sizes! But more importantly, they're not on the Alaska routes this summer, so they're out. Thank you, though!

Hi,:) I know there are many folks who love those studios but there are

some of us who have no desire to book them. I am one of those.......

from what I have seen/read, they are VERY small. I prefer a regular

cabin with a window or balcony.

It is all about priorities and how one wants to spend their $$. What

one person thinks is a good value hold no value to someone else.

Hi Happy Trees, Just wanted to let you know there are some good cruise deals out there for singles. If you are a past passenger of a cruise line,that helps. I recently booked an an April 9th HAL Veendam 15 night inside quarantee cabinCaribbean cruise for just myself for $1483.00 including port and taxes. I used the web site that has the words cruise and compete in it. On this site,you create a user name,then ask for quotes for a specific sailing,and what type of cabin you want. Kendra

It may be a bit late for you, but here are a few cruises without horrendous solo supplements (European dd/mm/yyyy date format)

Alaska Cruise with M/S Zaandam -7 days from/to Vancouver, departure 15/05/2016 - solo supplements around 70-90%. Cheapest cabin for 1: €1013

Alaska Cruise with M/S Norwegian Sun - 7 days from/to Vancouver, departure 23/05/2016 - solo supplements around 32-75%. Cheapest cabin for 1: €1250

Alaska Cruise with M/S Norwegian Sun - 7 days from Vancouver to Seward (AK), departure 30/05/2016 - solo supplements around 35-85%. Cheapest cabin for 1: €1358

Alaska Cruise with M/S Nieuw Amsterdam - 7 days from/to Vancouver, departure 28/05/2016 - solo supplements around 78-90%. Cheapest cabin for 1: €1418

Looking at Royal Caribbean for that May 27th date, I see a few options at the moment (again, all in euro and international date format).

Radiance of the Seas 7 days from Seward (AK) to Vancouver, 27/05/2016:

There's a solitary Cat K inside (9001) available for €1839. There are 9 Cat I oustides for €2525. There are 2x E3s, 10 x E2s, 11x E1s (€3,435 - €3,603). It just looks like a really booked up cruise, and with that few cabins remaining at this stage, they know they can probably fill them with doubles or more.

Explorer of the Seas 7 days from/to Seattle (WA), 27/05/2016:

Has more availability, but is oddly a bit more expensive. Also, I'm confused, as I left the Explorer in October as she was heading for Australia - how is she magically turning up in Alaska! It's like some kind of circumnavigation magic!

All categories of inside (except guarantee) are available from €2055 - €2307.

Another peculiarity is that the "Balcony Comfort" (Cat D)'s are cheaper than the standard balcony at the moment. You can get a D3 for €2825, whereas an E3 is €3,105.

Alaska's obviously just very popular, and expensive - the price has always put me off them.

You previously mentioned the RC Radiance sailing on May 27th.

There is also a RC Explorer sailing on May 27th from Seattle for 7 nights.

Every Tuesday RC opens to the general public a weekly sale and this week the Explorer cruise is one of the offering The supplement is still 100%. Balcony cabins are available on the May 27th Explorer cruise for $949. Add in tax and fees($193.04) and the total price would be $2093 for 7 nights.

This may still be more than you want to pay but if it is of interest, the sale starts Tuesday March 22. Again, this special promotion is part of the Royal Caribbean Tuesday Sales.

• 1 month later...

I am new to solo cruising..

just wondering if there is a way to search for cruises with single deals... especially when one is looking for a specific itinerary...

I am going through a divorce and budget is an issue though I am able to travel "off season"

Lorraine

just wondering if there is a way to search for cruises with single deals... especially when one is looking for a specific itinerary...

I am going through a divorce and budget is an issue though I am able to travel "off season"

Lorraine

I am also a solo traveler. Norwegian cruise line has solo cabins, but from what I hear the rates can be higher than a regular cabins. If you have at travel agent they maybe able to help you. The high end cruise lines, Crystal etc don't have a single supplement, but they are expensive to start with. Grand Circle River cruises often have no or low single supplements. I have also used vacations to go web site.

Hope this helps

Diana

yes... any and all...

I booked an inside for Celebrity Silhouette in Dec... I have friends going on it... and I booked it an a AAA travel show... so I got a few perks....

but I hope to find a sailing to SA to celebrate my liberation .... for 2017...

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine, long time....sorry to read this and hope you are doing

ok.

I am still sailing solo:) ......I just check with the specific line and

see how much the total is going to be.....I haven't looked at the

single supplement in years.

I just went on my first River Cruise out of Amsterdam and it was

fantastic:D

If you still have my email and want to drop me a line I will reply back.

Edited by Lois R