Oceania excursions - Rome

Johngela13

Hi All

New to the forum but did our first cruise, Genoa to Venice, last year and loved it so much we are doing the other half of the cruise this year, Venice to Genoa.

Our main aim is to relax so will tend to get shuttles in port and then just wander. However, we have not visited Rome before so are wondering if it is worth signing up for a full guided tour - 9 hours!!!

We are fit and mobile and mid aged, I.e mobility, heat, are not a problem, it is just the thought of 9 hours of travel, queues, crowds!

Is Rome really worth the trouble or should we take advantage of a near empty ship and hit the spa? Is there anything else nearby that is worth a visit.

All advice and all opinions appreciated as I know it is a subjective matter.

Thanks in anticipation

A

Hello,

We did the 'Essence of Rome' trip back in 2009 for our 40th birthdays & thought it was great & well worth the money (approx £100 each).

We don't speak any languages (should've tried harder at school), we don't fly, so only go abroad when we cruise & therefore aren't that confident of going off on our own so to speak. Although we do sometimes do the local HOHO buses.

Hence we tend to stick to the (more expensive) organised P&O tours when we really want to do something as we know that if anything were to happen then the ship would wait for us!!

We had a wonderful day, & saw all the 'main' sites including the Colosseum (fast track entry, no queuing) the Trevi fountain, the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel etc.

Lunch was also included on our tour (not sure if it still is) & again that was very nice.

All in all (for us anyway) we felt it was totally worth it as you didn't have to worry about where to go next or how to get there etc.

Whilst the tour is 9 hours or so it didn't actually feel like a long day, if you know what I mean!!

We're visiting Rome again this year & at present are undecided on what to do, do we get a shuttle (or whatever the plan is to transport people) to get into Rome & then look for a HOHO city bus or do we stay on the ship & enjoy the peace & quiet?

Or do we look at a totally different tour which takes us away from the main sties as we're already seen them?

It seems a shame to go all that way & not do something in Rome so I'm guessing we will probably end up doing something, so I'm looking for tips as well :)

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time.

Joan

We are on Oceana this may and Rome - well Civitavecchia - is one of the ports. I have walking difficulties and could not cope with the walking involved in most of the tours so I have opted for a coach tour that goes round Rome and I will see all the main sites just from the coach. This at least means I'll get a flavour of Rome. I guess the other way would be to use a wheelchair - which I don't do yet - and possibly book a private tour or even consider a land based holiday and do it that way. For me, just having the one day in Rome, the coach tour is the best compromise.

Last time I was in civitavecchia the were loads of taxis offering Rome trips from €25 euro (that must of been per person but it did not say). I'm going a couple of times this year so I will try a taxi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi All

Is Rome really worth the trouble or should we take advantage of a near empty ship and hit the spa?

A

In a word YES ! But words aren't enough

Rome is one of the most amazing, incredible, superb, wonderful places on earth. If you have not been before then you just have to go, if only once.

We had visited on 4 occasions on land holidays and for 2, 2 night stays before a cruise. We have just spent 5 nights there with family and we can honestly say that it never every fails to be awesome ... and we still haven't seen all of the things to see yet.

If you haven't been before you have to go --- it has everything for everyone.

GO!:)

PS Do Rome on Your Own - they drop you off at the Vatican - get a taxi to the Forum and buy a ticket that gets you in to the forum / coliseum yourself. Walk back to the Vatican and day done ;-) Any tips re what to see and amazing cheap places to eat just ask.

Edited by Presto2

As has already been said Rome is a fabulous city. I can't guess at how busy it will be but just as a word of warning the last time we went I was desperate to see the Sistine Chapel. We were unable to purchase fast track tickets so had to queue. 3 hours later (yes 3! ) we eventually got in. We weren't disappointed - IMHO one of the sites not to be missed, so if the organised tours offer fast track entry it's well worth it. Enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to say thank you to everyone who responded. We weighed up everyone's comments and have decided on the Intro to Rome excursion. It is the only organised one we intend to do (all the other ports are easily accessible to the respective towns).

Since we did this holiday as last minute sneaky break we are just awaiting our cabin number now (it literally has cost us half what we paid last year for the other half of the last cruise but this time we have no window, no idea when we will eat - but at least we are getting a spring break).

Cross your fingers for us please and hope it isn't next to lifts, anchors or laundy