Live (almost) review: Jade 3/12-3/19; in the Haven!

Starflyr3

Alrighty!

I'm not going to try to duplicate Mitsugirly's incredibly detailed post, since she already has done a full ship tour, but I will include the Haven, as we are in a 2 br family suite.

We are currently driving from DFW to Houston. It has been pretty dreary at home, and we can't wait!

Some pics from the drive:

image_zps3lfowmeg.jpeg

There is an access road down there - under water entirely!

And they say we're in a severe drought...

image_zpsih9ss8qu.jpeg

Texas has some really nice rest areas with playgrounds, clean restrooms, picnic areas and vending machines.

image_zpsqipgvhz7.jpeg

We are heading to Johnson Space Center for a little bit when we get there, then will settle in at the Best Western where we have a park and cruise package.

I am excited about hearing about your trip to the Space Center. We have Level 9 booked. We are flying in so a taxi will be our mode of transportation to Best Western. I am looking forward to seeing your Haven review. Maybe one day...in the meanwhile I am happy with our corner aft suite.

The flooding sounds bad on the news.

:eek:

I am excited about hearing about your trip to the Space Center. We have Level 9 booked. We are flying in so a taxi will be our mode of transportation to Best Western. I am looking forward to seeing your Haven review. Maybe one day...in the meanwhile I am happy with our corner aft suite.

The flooding sounds bad on the news.

We booked this early last April, and it was KSF, plus the UBP, UDP, $300 OBC and gratuities free (for pax 1 and 2). The price was really good. Last I checked, a non Haven suite was more than our Haven price, so I think we got an amazingly good deal.

As we keep driving, I'm starting to wonder if driving home will be an option. There are multiple places where the flooding is almost at the same level as the highway (I-45)!

Edited by Starflyr3

Be extra careful on I35 through Temple past Salado. Salado has been a trouble spot the past few days. See y'all there :)

Anjie

Ooh, we used to have to drive 35. That was never fun. Luckily we live nearer 45 now, which is a straight shot from south Dallas to Stewart Beach in Galveston (if you go all the way).

Currently on the Hardy Tollroad around Houston. About 45 minutes to an hour from NASA.

:eek:

We booked this early last April, and it was KSF, plus the UBP, UDP, $300 OBC and gratuities free (for pax 1 and 2). The price was really good. Last I checked, a non Haven suite was more than our Haven price, so I think we got an amazingly good deal.

As we keep driving, I'm starting to wonder if driving home will be an option. There are multiple places where the flooding is almost at the same level as the highway (I-45)!

We booked in April as well and I was so happy to see the suite we wanted was available we booked and got all of the goodies as well. You drive safe now!

Ok. We survived the drive and a quick stop at Wal-Mart (I always forget something. This time it was my daughters floatie and sunscreen.)

On to NASA!

image_zpszh9q085e.jpeg

I guess one of the shuttles (or mock ups) IS still here, I thought it had gone to the Smithsonian

image_zps7inef7rs.jpeg

Our son had been before, when he was VERY small, but this was little sister's first time. Oddly enough, big sister was also there, completely unplanned (she's in her 20s, is my step and was there with her biomom, who also lives near Dallas). So seeing Sissy was fun.

image_zpskp7amzv6.jpeg

We had some lunch (extremely overpriced burgers and hot dogs) and decided on a tram tour. We were able to make the last tram of the day, to the astronaut training facility.

Johnson Space Center was built on farmland, and they still have an agricultural division, where they raise Longhorns.

image_zps75zswvze.jpeg

They also simulate EVERYTHING. This is used in the vaccuum chamber, to approximate the cold of space:

image_zpskm30ysdh.jpeg

This tour was less comprehensive that I remember previously, but still fun.

They have a full sized mock up of the ISS here, both for training and to test repairs. It was hard to get all the things though, as the modules are not hooked together.

image_zps3kt9kdjn.jpeg

This is a new Russian landing module for returning to earth. It can apparently land safely on dry ground.

image_zpsr7ogh4ss.jpeg

This is a 6 degree of freedom simulator, that lets them practice docking 2 modules together while they're both traveling 5000 miles a minute in orbit.

image_zpstjsx08by.jpeg

Apparently, they are currently using "robonauts" on the ISS to help out the humans. Maybe it's just me, but they are just a little too terminator-esque for comfort.

"I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't let you do that"

image_zpsjkmryzyd.jpeg

After this, we had just barely enough time to go get astronaut ice cream (this stuff is AMAZING) before they shooed us out the door (it closes at 5). We then went to the hotel, about 10 minutes away.

Enjoy your cruise!! We'll be getting on as you're leaving. If I think of any questions, can I ask? Will you be checking while in wifi?

I will try. I know in Cozumel and Roatan, I will be able to check in, but after sail away, expect updates to be quite a bit more spaced out!

I just realized I forgot to post my geek out moment at NASA:

image_zpsoah3v2h0.jpeg

Is that what I THINK it is?!?!?!?!

image_zps5eutcvps.jpeg

Yup. It's a real set prop from Star Trek! (Original series)

Ok. On to the Best Western. We stayed here last year, before the Jewel cruise. It's a perfectly adequate hotel, near NASA, near Kemah Boardwalk, and near Bayport. They have no connecting rooms, which is a potential downside, but it's clean, they have a cruise and park package, and they include a nice hot breakfast.

Somehow, we ended up in an accessible room, but there was still a tub instead of an accessible shower, which we appreciate.

image_zpsxzbqybp6.jpeg

And the lobby area (it's big):

image_zpslcwiroan.jpeg

image_zps7wveq11r.jpegu

image_zpszsrrogrd.jpeg

Ok; DH put the kibosh on buying the Internet plan, so next update will be from Melia in Cozumel.

We are all checked in in the suite lounge now; the precruise concierge did in fact contact Omar (who is really nice!), so aside from a couple of hiccups in card printing, everything is going well. Even have a spa day already scheduled on Tuesday!

Going to turn off wifi and put on airplane mode now. Talk to y'all soon!

Following this review. We will be cruising on the Jade next summer with 3 kids (they will be 5 1/2 yo, 3 1/2 yo, and 18 months). We are leaning towards upgrading to a Haven 2 Bdr from the regular 2 Bdr, but are curious about whether the Jade Haven is kid friendly.

Edited by ireashmott

Following this review. We will be cruising on the Jade next summer with 3 kids (they will be 5 1/2 yo, 3 1/2 yo, and 18 months). We are leaning towards upgrading to a Haven 2 Bdr from the regular 2 Bdr, but are curious about whether the Jade Haven is kid friendly.

The Haven area on the Jade is small and the pool is 4-5 feet deep there is no shallow ledge like in the main pools. The pool is covered and can be used in inclement weather which would probably be the biggest advantage for kids.