New to Crusing - travel documents

Icel

Hello

I am going on MSC Divina later in March, first time ever on a cruise.

What documents to do present at "Check in" on departure day?

I already did the web check-in, but I do not have a ticket as such, should I?

I see someone talking about luggage tags, where your name & cabin are shown. Is this provided at checkin day or what.

Hope someone can help

regards Icel.

Hello

I am going on MSC Divina later in March, first time ever on a cruise.

What documents to do present at "Check in" on departure day?

I already did the web check-in, but I do not have a ticket as such, should I?

I see someone talking about luggage tags, where your name & cabin are shown. Is this provided at checkin day or what.

Hope someone can help

regards Icel.

You will get your "tickets" and luggage tags (you have to print them out) by email either direct, from MSC, or from your Travel Agent if you used one, usually between 7 and 14 days prior to sailing.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thanks

According to my agent its enough to check in online, I am not convinced and there are no luggage tags to be found in the online check in.

so, I am kind of confused of what to do!

I will try to get a hold of MSC Cruises.

Thanks

According to my agent its enough to check in online, I am not convinced and there are no luggage tags to be found in the online check in.

so, I am kind of confused of what to do!

I will try to get a hold of MSC Cruises.

I think they are mistaken and I do know what I'm talking about.

and here is the proof, the contents of an email I received 3 days ago with reference to my Back 2 Back cruises with MSC in 10 days time.

The first set of tickets are with my travel agent the second set are due shortly

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email.

We have received your cruise tickets for the 22nd March but we are still awaiting tickets for 5th April as soon as I receive these I will post them together.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Ive always had tickets issued which include luggage tags. Used to be a printed book but now it is always by email and you print the. Yourself.

If you have any extras like an OBC or have bought a spa or drinks packages or tours, they should be showing on these documents, so make sure you check they are correct as this is your proof of purchase.

By email and you print it out. Usually 7-14 days prior to your cruise as stated by the others.

I did a B2B and got the first leg 2 weeks prior and the 2nd leg the following week.... why I couldn't get them at the same time was a little crazy but I guess because they were 2 separate reservations. I wasn't really worried because we were staying in the same room and didn't, of course, need luggage tags.

By email and you print it out. Usually 7-14 days prior to your cruise as stated by the others.

I did a B2B and got the first leg 2 weeks prior and the 2nd leg the following week.... why I couldn't get them at the same time was a little crazy but I guess because they were 2 separate reservations. I wasn't really worried because we were staying in the same room and didn't, of course, need luggage tags.

Thar is exactly what is happening with my B2B which start in 10 days time

Pete

We are departing on the Divina this coming Saturday, 3/19.

It has been ridiculous trying to shake the boarding documents and luggage tags out of MSC.

I finally called MSC on Thursday and the customer service agent very reluctantly emailed me the documents.

My daughter and her boyfriend are also cruising with us. She called Friday and the MSC rep flatly refused to help her and told her to call our travel agent.

She did and he called and was told the documents would be sent to him tomorrow (Monday). He went around with them for a half hour and finally received the docs and tags.

Some of the information was wrong or missing for my daughter and boyfriend.

The travel agent called MSC again; they refused to correct or reissue the documents and told my agent to tell my daughter to hand correct or fill in the missing information.

As a side note to this farce, my cruise documents stated we have a drink package and some other extras we did not order or pay for. My agent checked and found out the drink package and other extras was a goof on their end but will be honored on board.

To paraphrase an old ad tagline: "Is this any way to run a cruiseline...."

It comes down to my post just before yours. Your agent should have been on top of all this from the beginning. It sickens me that almost anybody can call themselves a travel agent.

From the perspective of MSC, it is correct they will not address issues when booked through an agent. MSC pays the agent a commission to handle the details of your reservation. Why pay an agency then have to do the work anyway?

As for the drink package on your reservation, my guess is that you booked your cruise during one of the promotions that got you a complimentary drink package. Once again, something your agent should have been aware of and informed you.

As for getting documents, bonafide agents can simply log into the MSC system and download them right from there. No need to speak with anyone. Now in your case where corrections may be in order, that is a different scenario but still isn't a big deal.

Anyway, I, of all people, know that dealing with the MSC office can be frustrating at times. However, the Divina has come to be my home away from home. I hope you enjoy her as much as I do.

Bret

Edited by cruiseguyinorl

I think you missed the part of my post that stated out agent did call and had a very difficult time getting the documents and tags sent to him (7 days before we leave) as for whatever reason, my daughter's and mine were not in the system where he could access them. When the documents were finally sent and the errors found, the agent did call back to make the corrections. MSC refused to correct the documents or reissue them.

As far as my drink package and other perks, I did not book during any promotions, I booked at the same time using the same agent as two other parties we are traveling with, we all booked the same category room (3 in a row next to each other). When questioned by my agent, MSC told him they had a "glitch" in their system which added the upgrades to my cabin and that the mistakes (on their end) would be honored.

I stand by my statement that MSC has a long way to go in service to customers and travel agents. Although as far as my agent goes, his very large agency is considering dropping MSC from lines that they sell due to the problems with MSC service and, therefore, may not be an issue for me in the future.

I stand by my statement that MSC has a long way to go in service to customers and travel agents. Although as far as my agent goes, his very large agency is considering dropping MSC from lines that they sell due to the problems with MSC service and, therefore, may not be an issue for me in the future.

Your not alone. I know of two large U.S. Agencies who refuse to sell Msc for the very reasons you described. I actually feel terribly for my agent who has had to endure extensive hold times to straighten out issues from Msc, and I still don't have my travel docs- :(. Their pre-cruise service has significant room for improvement.

The web check in has to be completed before documents or luggage tags can be emailed or downloaded. My wife and I are going with three other couples on the DIVINA on May 7th, and I took care of the bookings (been an agent for 26 years). Once each couple completed the web check in, I called MSC, told them the web check in was complete, and, within ten minutes I received their documents via email. No problem.

Seems they're rather inconsistent when it comes to things like this.

Edited by Linerguy
oh yeah...

That isn't how it worked for me liner guy :(. After multiple attempts with TA and Msc (often the 3 of us on the line at the same time), I was finally able to complete web check in. I received an email shortly after that said I should be on the lookout for travel docs emailed directly to me 7 -14 days prior to embarkation. I'm still waiting :)

That isn't how it worked for me liner guy :(. After multiple attempts with TA and Msc (often the 3 of us on the line at the same time), I was finally able to complete web check in. I received an email shortly after that said I should be on the lookout for travel docs emailed directly to me 7 -14 days prior to embarkation. I'm still waiting :)

There's the inconsistency I was talking about. Hope you get it straightened out soon.

"In the summertime when the weather is hot You can stretch right up and touch the sky

When the weather's fine

You got MSC cruises on your mind

Have a drink, relax.

Your gonna have a goooo-ooo-ood time"

(EMBEDDED IN BRAIN)

Edited by amscene1

"In the summertime when the weather is hot You can stretch right up and touch the sky

When the weather's fine

Have a drink, relax.

(EMBEDDED IN BRAIN)

Thanks. Thanks a lot. There goes my day.

When the weather's fine

Have a drink, relax.

(EMBEDDED IN BRAIN)

just got off a 40 minute hold...talked to 5 people...issues still not resolved! But posted that on another thread

When the weather's fine

Have a drink, relax.

(EMBEDDED IN BRAIN)

OH do I ever know that song! Two calls to MSC one for a 1hour 20 minute hold and the other, I gave up after 20 minutes! Too funny.:D

Just got off a 7 day on MSC and I was fortunate to find Elena, the Cruise Consultant who corrected the mistakes MSC made on my future booking.

When the weather's fine

Have a drink, relax.

(EMBEDDED IN BRAIN)

My updated version:

"In the summer time when the weather is hot

When the weather's fine

You have MSC cruises on the line

Read a book, relax

Your gonna be on hold a loooooo-ooooooooo-ooooooooo-oooooooog time"

Repeat for all followup calls trying to fix the same problem.

My updated version:

When the weather's fine

Read a book, relax

That's the version they should use, LOL!

My updated version:

When the weather's fine

Read a book, relax

LOL- hilarious :) .