Does the Royal IQ app work on iPod touch/inactivated iPhones?

Forgive the dumb question, I am not tech savvy...

We're sailing on Anthem over April break.

Would the Royal IQ app texting function work on an old iPhone 4 (not currently connected to a phone plan)? I'm wondering if I should have my kids use old inactive phones we have gathering dust, to keep in touch onboard, rather than allow the 13-year-old to carry around and risk losing her regular iPhone or inadvertently turn off airplane mode, etc.

I realize there's a $14.95/device charge to use texting through the IQ app.

TIA for not mocking my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The app should work fine on a deactivated phone. However, the app has to be downloaded, so I would assume some sort account is needed for the download site.

Didn't think of that! Our old iPhone 4's are dead right now so I can't check whether I can access the App Store or not. I'll have to hope my kids know where the old chargers are tomorrow. Forgot our current charges don't fit the iphone4.

So the assumption is if I can download the IQ app at home over Wi-Fi, we should be able to use it to text on board?

Thanks!

... So the assumption is if I can download the IQ app at home over Wi-Fi, we should be able to use it to text on board?

Thanks!

That would be my guess. Let us know how it goes.

Didn't think of that! Our old iPhone 4's are dead right now so I can't check whether I can access the App Store or not. I'll have to hope my kids know where the old chargers are tomorrow. Forgot our current charges don't fit the iphone4.

So the assumption is if I can download the IQ app at home over Wi-Fi, we should be able to use it to text on board?

Thanks!

Do you live near me? I have a pile of useless iphone4 chargers and plugs. :(

I don't have an answer - I have another question. I don't have any desire to purchase wifi on board. But I would still like to be able to download the APP and track my luggage on embarkment day. It says I have to connect to Royal wi-fi though. It mentions the charge for texting - but does not say anything about the charge for wifi. Anyone use this without paying for wifi?

Update: couldn't get the Royal IQ on either of our old iPhone 4. Darn. But, I think it's more an issue that the phones are so outdated and not working.

I forgot the reason I upgraded was because my iPhone 4 kept turning itself off. And my daughter's old 4 was only a 8 gb so not enough room to update the iOS (the current system is too old for Royal IQ.)

I have one remaining hope... To load Royal IQ on DH's old iPhone 5. I can't remember his iTunes password as that phone is linked to his work email, so it'll have to wait until the weekend when he has time to help me.

If that works, will give the inactivated iPhone 5 to my 9 year old when she's in Adventure Ocean, so she can text to say she's done & wants to be sprung. We don't want her signing herself out and walking around the ship alone.

My 13 year old will have to use her real phone for the Royal IQ app and we'll be having a talk about the importance of leaving it in airplane mode with cellular data off, as well as not losing the phone!

• 4 weeks later...

we will be traveling with 10 of us - four grandkids who do not have cell phone. I do have 2 - iphone 3's, and 2 iphone 4's. these are not in use an inactive. does anyone know if i can use them on the anthem-- with texting. I do not have a problem paying $15 for each phone as long as we can text one another. the cost of walkie talkies is more then that

we will be traveling with 10 of us - four grandkids who do not have cell phone. I do have 2 - iphone 3's, and 2 iphone 4's. these are not in use an inactive. does anyone know if i can use them on the anthem-- with texting. I do not have a problem paying $15 for each phone as long as we can text one another. the cost of walkie talkies is more then that

You can go to the Apple store now and try to download the app. There should be some info about compatibility.

thank you for the quick reply. I have downloaded the application to my current ipad but could not find any operation system restrictions. So ia am still not clear if it will work on the iphone 3's, or the iphone 5's.

thank you for the quick reply. I have downloaded the application to my current ipad but could not find any operation system restrictions. So ia am still not clear if it will work on the iphone 3's, or the iphone 5's.

Can you try downloading it to the iPhone 3's and iPhone 5's?

I was unable to download the app to an old 4. But I was able to download it to an old (inactivated) 5s. As mkbruce stated, the app requires iOS 7 or later.

Thanks for the feedback.

thanks for all the help i will look for 2 used phones with the correct operating system. I think it still will be cheaper to buy 2 used iphones instead of 10 walkie talkies.

we will be doing the 9 day cruise on July 28 so i have a while to find a good deal on used phones.

once again THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP DIANE GIMBEL

thanks for all the help i will look for 2 used phones with the correct operating system. I think it still will be cheaper to buy 2 used iphones instead of 10 walkie talkies.

we will be doing the 9 day cruise on July 28 so i have a while to find a good deal on used phones.

once again THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP DIANE GIMBEL

Remember, the devices don't have to be phones, just any Apple device that runs IOS 7 or later, including iPod.