U.S to Tahiti. Delta connecting to Air Tahiti

roberts2005

I will be flying Delta to LAX and connecting with an ATN flight. Two years ago we had to pick our luggage up at LAX arrivals and walk it over to ATN for rechecking.

I am wondering if things have changed and I can check my bags all the way through.

Also, was anyone on Delta charged a bag fee.

Thanks

I will be flying Delta to LAX and connecting with an ATN flight. Two years ago we had to pick our luggage up at LAX arrivals and walk it over to ATN for rechecking.

I am wondering if things have changed and I can check my bags all the way through.

Also, was anyone on Delta charged a bag fee.

Thanks

I too am taking Delta to LAX and ATN to Tahiti. My TA told me they would check all the way through. Sadly, I am not so lucky on the way back from Lima on United.

Edited by KS&JW

Talked to Air Tahiti a few weeks ago and their agent said it all depended on how the ticket was ticketed from Oceania. He said he had seen it both ways. Where the luggage was checked all the way through and where the luggage had to be moved by the passenger at lax. We are flying American so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

American is partnered with ATN while Delta is not, this could make a difference.

Someone more knowledgeable can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

When coming back into the states there is a big difference between getting your bags, going through customs and checking them right back in, and having to go to the baggage carousel, exit, go to departure areas, check back in and go back through security.

One scenario takes from 20 minutes to an hour, while the other could take 2 to 3 hours.

American is partnered with ATN while Delta is not, this could make a difference.

Someone more knowledgeable can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

When coming back into the states there is a big difference between getting your bags, going through customs and checking them right back in, and having to go to the baggage carousel, exit, go to departure areas, check back in and go back through security.

One scenario takes from 20 minutes to an hour, while the other could take 2 to 3 hours.

Delta was partnered with Air France 2 years ago and they checked bags thru. Did not help as they lost all our bags for 2 days. Was not fun, except when we saw them standing there in the hotel lobby 2 days later. No good way. Good luck and have a great trip.

I did the same combination several years ago (Delta to LAX connecting to ATN). We had air from LAX-PPT included in our PG cruise fare, and separate Delta tickets, so no automatic transfer of luggage. I was pretty paranoid, but we are light packers, so we carried on to LAX (Polynesia is a warm location, so the clothes were light), with 2 rollies and 2 small backpacks. Even took our snorkels and shorty fins! ATN made us check our rollies (we met the size, but were just over on the weight), but we didn't care at that point. Coming back into the US, as was stated by someone already, you have to claim your luggage, anyway, for customs.

And, yes, we did dress for dinner each night - in mix-and-match linen pants (and skirt, in my case) and summery tops.

We are also using O air deviation for our cruise this January.Taking Air Tahiti flight midnight arriving into LAX at 10:10 the next day,will connect to an AA flight leaving at 2:15 to JFK.We have Global Entry and Pre Check.Spoke to rep. from Air Tahiti and he told me it was a short 10 minute walk to AA terminal .But might take the 3:00 PM flight just to play it safe.