Vegan Diet accomodations

Into Cruising

I took my niece on the Jewel in April. She is a vegan. It was fine.

First send a email to special needs desk.

Next, it would help if she knows which venue she is dining for dinner. She can visit day before. All the specialty restaurants had something awesome for her. She found some choices in the buffet, a nice bean burger, stir frys, etc.

We were in a suite, so for breakfast and lunch they got to know her. Had soy milk for her. We brought on a carton of almond milk too.

I am vegan and went on a cruise on the Gem in November.

There was a 'special diet' consultant that would come and see me every evening to plan out the next day's supper (lunch was not an issue at the buffet - there are plenty of vegan curries and a salad bar if all else fails).

There was not a huge selection at dinner (I sometimes got a plate of steamed broccoli and carrots) - but it was totally fine ;)

I am going on the Breakaway in a couple of weeks in the Haven. I called the pre-cruise concierge to advise them (I figure more notice the better) and they told me that they don't accommodate vegans. I suspect this is their standard line, but on ship - you will be able to find something to eat (even if it is just broccoli and carrots - lol ;). Most vegans are kind of used to this - its tricky to navigate restaurants sometimes.

We have a large group going on the Escape in June.

One member is Vegan.

Can this be accommodated on the ship, and how do I go about requesting it.

This person is Vegan, not vegetarian. I know they offer vegetarian dishes.

Thanks,

Joe

It would probably be a good idea for this person who is vegan to manage this instead of you. As a vegan, he/she knows that they are responsible for managing the diet, and not you or the cruise line. It would go much smoother if they try to make these arrangements instead of relying on others.

It would probably be a good idea for this person who is vegan to manage this instead of you. As a vegan, he/she knows that they are responsible for managing the diet, and not you or the cruise line. It would go much smoother if they try to make these arrangements instead of relying on others.

As someone who has a degree in culinary and hospitality management I can assure you that is an industry standard to accomodate all guests whether it is health or religious related or a choice. No one said this person or the cruise line was going to "manage" the vegan's diet.

There could be several reasons why the 0P is making the inquiry on the vegan's behalf on Cruise critic. I certainly made the initial inquiry for my niece and things could not have run smoother.

We have a large group going on the Escape in June.

One member is Vegan.

Joe

Dont bring them. Problem solved.

Sorry, I find being Vegan a little silly "first world" problems....but I am also being rude and hijacking your thread. Carry on.....

Edited by Deptacon

Dont bring them. Problem solved.

Sorry, I find being Vegan a little silly "first world" problems....but I am also being rude and hijacking your thread. Carry on.....

At least you can laugh at yourself.

I am vegan and went on a cruise on the Gem in November.

There was a 'special diet' consultant that would come and see me every evening to plan out the next day's supper (lunch was not an issue at the buffet - there are plenty of vegan curries and a salad bar if all else fails).

There was not a huge selection at dinner (I sometimes got a plate of steamed broccoli and carrots) - but it was totally fine ;)

I am going on the Breakaway in a couple of weeks in the Haven. I called the pre-cruise concierge to advise them (I figure more notice the better) and they told me that they don't accommodate vegans. I suspect this is their standard line, but on ship - you will be able to find something to eat (even if it is just broccoli and carrots - lol ;). Most vegans are kind of used to this - its tricky to navigate restaurants sometimes.

Just off Breakaway with a vegan. Accommodation fine--had Almond milk too...no problem. The information you were given is false--all ships will accommodate.

They did give me the party line that they do not specifically accommodate a Vegan diet.

However they did suggest immediately contacting the Dining room staff when first getting on the ship to make them aware, and said they would work with the person.

When I told my friend that we had her down for a vegetarian diet, but they could not do Vegan, she shrugged like that was the norm. She will in fact monitor her own intake of what she can and can not eat, but hearing there are alternatives and almond milk is good news for her.

Thanks everyone......well almost everyone, I never thank the snarky ones who believe they need to entertain themselves on here

We cruised with my son who had a milk allergy as a baby/toddler (3 yrs ago) so his meals needed to be completely dairy-free and we needed soy milk. We eat meat in general, but the lack of dairy and egg have had us looking at vegan and kosher options in his foods. It was not a big deal to have him accommodated. I would agree with contacting the special needs desk, but also see the restaurant manager when you first board. He will have a staff member go through the menus with you and determine which items can accommodate the dietary request, and what other options that might not be on the menu can be done, like if the vegetarian dish was pasta with a cream sauce, they could potentially sub garlic and olive oil for her plate, or whether they can make sitrfried or steamed veggies as a side for any meal. They usually had us order his meals the day before and let them know where we planned to dine so that they would be delivered to the appropriate restaurant. Soy milk wasn't out on the buffet, but if you ask someone behind the counter, or ask a server in the restaurant, they will get it for you. I have found the staff will bend over backwards to ensure their guests enjoy their meals as long as they have advanced notice whenever possible and you are courteous with your request.

• 7 months later...

After travelling this past week with 2 vegans, it was really stressful for the other 6 of us because of the lack of items that they would eat. Pasta is made with eggs.....X was made with butter.... Y had honey.... causes for very frustrating meals for 6 days.

Good luck to your travelling companion.

After travelling this past week with 2 vegans, it was really stressful for the other 6 of us because of the lack of items that they would eat. Pasta is made with eggs.....X was made with butter.... Y had honey.... causes for very frustrating meals for 6 days.

Good luck to your travelling companion.

Have cruised with my niece who has been a vegan for 4 plus years. No stress whatsover.

Guess it just depends on the vegan(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have cruised with my niece who has been a vegan for 4 plus years. No stress whatsover.

Guess it just depends on the vegan(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It really does. I've never had meat, joined the army and did Basic Training plus a tour in Iraq no problem. I understood I was the one who needed to eat differently and I took care of it (drill sergeants didn't really understand and thought I was lying).

Got to University, large vegan/vegetarian population - so it was "cool" to be one. Would go out in groups and have some vegans/vegetarians gasp and make a scene if the restaurant didn't have "ample" choices. Even worse, they would get upset if a friend would choose one without "suitable" choices. I stopped hanging with them thereafter.

Most vegans or vegetarians understand the restaurant marketplace and are great at handling it. There are some that treat it like they have a disability that the restaurant did not accommodate.

It really does. I've never had meat, joined the army and did Basic Training plus a tour in Iraq no problem. I understood I was the one who needed to eat differently and I took care of it (drill sergeants didn't really understand and thought I was lying).

Got to University, large vegan/vegetarian population - so it was "cool" to be one. Would go out in groups and have some vegans/vegetarians gasp and make a scene if the restaurant didn't have "ample" choices. Even worse, they would get upset if a friend would choose one without "suitable" choices. I stopped hanging with them thereafter.

Most vegans or vegetarians understand the restaurant marketplace and are great at handling it. There are some that treat it like they have a disability that the restaurant did not accommodate.

THIS is the attitude that everyone should share. :-)