Cell phone coverage on the Gem

renata102

I have the sprint global plan which is amazing!

I will be on the NCL cruise ship , SPRINT told me to call NCL and get their rates on roam while on their maritime service. NCL said they don't have a cell service and my cell won't work on the NCL gem.

I though other cruise companies had a cell service on each ship with roaming charges of course. I am aware of the satellite services to my cabin, so my question is not about the cabin satellite service.

Can anyone offer me insight on using a cell phone service while at sea specifically on the GEM

While it is true that NCL, per se, does not have a cellular service, they use Cellular at Sea on their ships. Just like the satellite service to the cabin, your cell phone will go to the tower on the ship, which then has to bounce off the satellite, since there are no other cell towers in range to link to. I haven't used the service in years, but I think the same charge as the phone in your cabin is what will be charged for your cell. More recent users can probably give the rates.

While it is true that NCL, per se, does not have a cellular service, they use Cellular at Sea on their ships. Just like the satellite service to the cabin, your cell phone will go to the tower on the ship, which then has to bounce off the satellite, since there are no other cell towers in range to link to. I haven't used the service in years, but I think the same charge as the phone in your cabin is what will be charged for your cell. More recent users can probably give the rates.

Thats the info I am looking for.

I really hope we don't have to use it. There is a pending family issue going on stateside that we need to be kept up to date with.

At least on port days we will have access to make some phone calls. It's the long sea days i am concerned about

OP, I saw your other post(s) that you are sailing next week on the GEM and there will be 5 full sea days, in other words - most of the time will be away from land towers & counting on satellite connections.

Sprint's global plan is NOT amazing if they do NOT have a partner agreement with NCL via Cellular At Sea as the provider, billed thru your carrier's account. It sounded like both Sprint & NCL are clueless and passing the bucks around.

I tried looking up info & options on Sprint's online website and it isn't helpful at all, nor providing any useful, clear & concise information on how to expect and the charges, etc. Sprint uses mainly CDMA signals and that explained poor coverage & availability on cruise ships and in foreign ports - yet, Verizonwireless, also CDMA technology, is doing far better and has good coverage, by most accounts. The only info I located is that voice calling will be $2.49 per minute (not verified ...)

What type of smartphone are you using / carrying ?

Aside from San Juan, Puerto Rico - which is considered Sprint's home rate area, your coverage isn't great overall. Need a plan B - iConcierge is working on the GEM and internet is functional, not blazing fast but good enough for the basics.

Using iConcierge APP to make calls will cost 79 cents per minute over ship's WiFi network, with no additional data charges and zero fees on your cellular carrier - coverage & availability are not guaranteed, etc. etc.

Is anyone traveling together with an AT&T or T-Mobile cellular plan (not prepaid plans) ?? as these carriers are better with their GSM coverage.

You should consider texting as SMS messages are easier to get thru and charges for sending & receiving are relatively inexpensive.

I too have sprint service and last year my dh and I sailed on the gem and I had absolutely no cell service while sailing. All I wanted to do was send a text back home to check on the kids. No such luck. Couldn't use it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thats the info I am looking for.

I really hope we don't have to use it. There is a pending family issue going on stateside that we need to be kept up to date with.

At least on port days we will have access to make some phone calls. It's the long sea days i am concerned about

Buy the ships wifi plan and just audio FaceTime if need be

My Verizon phone worked perfectly on the gem and for $40 Verizon offers 100 talk 100 text and 100 mg

.25 per minute if you go over the talk time

Verizon made a deal with Ncl I am told so no extra charges

Whatever the family issue may be just arrange to keep in touch with the appropriate family member either via email. FaceTime. Texting etc

My suggestion should help in 2 ways...

1. Sprint service is sketchy as many know

2. The ship wifi will work and you can use iPad if you have one or iPhone in wifi mode to...

FaceTime audio

Facebook instant message

iMessage

Etc with no worries about any charges other than the ship wifi cost.

Money shouldn't be an issue if you must keep in touch so at least the ship wifi guarantees a connection whereas your sprint service may be difficult to connect through

If you have an iPad bring it with you and buy the ships wifi.

Solves the problem of the non existent sprint cell service at see mentioned by a previous poster

Use the amazing sprint plan in ports.

Edited by luvtheships

OP, I saw your other post(s) that you are sailing next week on the GEM and there will be 5 full sea days, in other words - most of the time will be away from land towers & counting on satellite connections.

Sprint's global plan is NOT amazing if they do NOT have a partner agreement with NCL via Cellular At Sea as the provider, billed thru your carrier's account. It sounded like both Sprint & NCL are clueless and passing the bucks around.

I tried looking up info & options on Sprint's online website and it isn't helpful at all, nor providing any useful, clear & concise information on how to expect and the charges, etc. Sprint uses mainly CDMA signals and that explained poor coverage & availability on cruise ships and in foreign ports - yet, Verizonwireless, also CDMA technology, is doing far better and has good coverage, by most accounts. The only info I located is that voice calling will be $2.49 per minute (not verified ...)

What type of smartphone are you using / carrying ?

Aside from San Juan, Puerto Rico - which is considered Sprint's home rate area, your coverage isn't great overall. Need a plan B - iConcierge is working on the GEM and internet is functional, not blazing fast but good enough for the basics.

Using iConcierge APP to make calls will cost 79 cents per minute over ship's WiFi network, with no additional data charges and zero fees on your cellular carrier - coverage & availability are not guaranteed, etc. etc.

Is anyone traveling together with an AT&T or T-Mobile cellular plan (not prepaid plans) ?? as these carriers are better with their GSM coverage.

You should consider texting as SMS messages are easier to get thru and charges for sending & receiving are relatively inexpensive.

With my iPhone 6 and sprint unlimited everything plan, I will be able to have my domestic service (business as usual) in ST thomas and PR (unlimited text. Internet and minutes). In ST Martin with global roaming free add on plan it will be .20 a minute for voice , unlimited text and unlimited internet. The only issue will be Tortola where it will be 2.99 a min voice, .15 a text and some very limited internet.

I was told by NCL they don't have cellular services with any maritime carrier so it's impossible to partner up with sprint or Verizon as someone mentioned. Also someone mentioned iConcierge on the gem but yesterday NCL stated that it's not equipped yet.

I don't think I will buy in the Internet package. But If we have to resort to satellite at sea in case of emergency and eat the cost of a few minutes every other day at sea so be it. My MIL needs to feel comfortable in sailing , as her husband got ill and needs some surgery the day we are in ST Martin. She was ready to cancel the other other day (1.5 weeks before sailing so she would lose her money for the cruise). She just want to make sure he is ok before during and after the surgery (which will be on the tail end of our 10 day cruise )

NCL misspoke. iConcierge is indeed up on the Gem -- I used it last month -- and the Internet is fine. No reason to go off the grid if your MIL feels uncomfortable.

I called my travel agent who in turn called NCL and that's what they told them. A few days later (yesterday) I called NCL directly and inquired about iConcierge on gem and again they said it wasn't up and running. I hate misinformation

If there is in deed iConcierge, that would releive the issue of going off the grid while on the ship. Normally I love going off the grid (and my kids will go off the grid as well) but in this case I want my MIL to feel safe and comfortable on the cruise as she is somewhat distressed (my FIL has some heart issues for years but a new issue popped up)

In fact now that I remember when my husband and I went on a cruise a few years back to PR and we checked in on our kids left behind with my parents (as we were ported in PR) we called his parents and his dad was just rushed to the ER. I remember my husband feeling helpless and figuring out if he needed to disembark in PR and fly back to the states. Luckily his dad pulled through and improved through the day and we spoke to him throughthrough out the day while we were in PR.

Again being off the grid is amazing but sometimes have a emergency connection is important.

So with the iConcierge what telephone number do we give people in the states to call? And can people in the states text my iConcierge? Lastly can I call and text through my iConcierge to people in the states?

If you call from the phone in your cabin it is $5.99 per minute and no additional taxes.

And you're seeing that you will get more accurate info on this site than you will from NCL directly. Their reps just don't know some of the details of the ships. :eek:

Have a great cruise on GEM!

NCL misspoke. iConcierge is indeed up on the Gem ... and the Internet is fine.

This !! NCL reps / agents often are not well-informed. Another regular CC is currently on the GEM, confirmed that iConcierge is working and posting regularly here from the ship - internet is working (subject to limitations & interference on satellite reception while at sea) See this post - as you might want to post your own direct message - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2328540&page=3

With my iPhone 6 and sprint unlimited everything plan ... I was told by NCL they don't have cellular services with any maritime carrier so it's impossible to partner up ... Also someone mentioned iConcierge on the gem but yesterday NCL stated that it's not equipped yet.

I don't think I will buy in the Internet package. But If we have to resort to satellite at sea in case of emergency and eat the cost of a few minutes every other day at sea so be it. My MIL needs to feel comfortable in sailing ...

iPhone 6 from Sprint (or, directly purchased from Apple, unlikely) have WiFi services and can be used onboard the GEM for iConcierge app. You do NOT have to subscribe and pay for the internet package, since, the voice calling plan does not need access to paid WiFi data, as long as it is connected to the ship's inTRAnet data - charges at 79 cents a minute - charged against your stateroom's onboard account.

MCP Maritime Comms. (formerly Cellular At Seas) is the provider for many cruiselines, including NCL's fleet of ships - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/SS1503240839.jpg

There are partnership arrangements for roaming on the ships, including the GEM, with Verizonwireless, AT&T and T-Mobile ... for sure. Apparently, not with Sprint (anyone else with them can confirm otherwise, please do to assure OP and her MIL) - 2 of my BIL's have Sprint and couldn't get any cellular services onboard sailing Alaska and Hawaii, until we're approaching the piers in each of the ports. As long as you know how to work the iPhone's WiFi settings and turn off roaming data (and, not put the device in airplane mode) - you should be fine, I highly recommend spending 10 or 15 minutes doing this before sailing next week to get familiar with it ... Apple Support have links and online tutorial showing you how to do this. Plus, make sure your device is updated on the latest iOS including any carrier-specific packages, as I'm not sure that PRL updates are necessary these days for using CDMA networks by Sprint.

It's very important that you download the free iConcierge App now, while at home from Apple's App Store, and install it on your iPhone 6 - as without data, you will be unable to get there once the ship sail next week - then, you can use it to make/receive voice calls on the assigned number, valid for the duration of the sailing on the GEM. You don't need or have to use it, but it's there - just in case, as majority of your time are going to be on the ship. As for the unique & exclusive number to be reached, it is "assigned" by the ship's system once you are onboard & your device (iPhone 6, or whatever) is "registered" into the iConcierge system.

We registered ours on the Breakaway once we boarded the ship, while seated in the MDR waiting for our lunch to be served - and called / texted our contacts & family members that needed to reach us 24/7 just in case of emergencies. All of it done before we set sail and we had home signals on the ship for at least one hour after sailing away from the tier, until we passed under the VZ Bridge & pull away from the shores of Staten Island & nearby NJ. We cruised for many years, taking a break - going on vacations & cruises - while in-laws and mom were in frail/failing health - always had contingency plans in place. Money was/is/never an issue with the costs of those calls or texting.

We've done the Caribbean itinerary on the GEM - most of the islands visited are primary GSM cellular services (including faster HSPA+/4G LTE speed for high speed data) and coverage might be spotty in places while on land, depending on the radio towers - iPhones should be a little better with Sprint's partner cellular carriers on land.

Lastly, you can call "home" from your stateroom over satellite-relayed telephone @ $4.99 per minute (last year on the BA), charged to your onboard account - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_1553%20%28768x1024%29.jpg - rates are subject to change, of course. For anyone @ land to call you directly, they will need to know your ship's name (GEM) and stateroom number - calls are something like $7.99 per minute, billed to the caller's credit card. These are your fallback options, plan C - just in case iConcierge doesn't work for whatever reason when you needed it, and/or Sprint global services isn't what they promised - keep it short.

Edited by mking8288

So with the iConcierge can people in the states text my iConcierge? Lastly can I call and text through my iConcierge to people in the states?

As previously noted, be sure to download the iConicerge app before you get to the ship. Once on the ship, you connect to the ship's wifi and register/sign in to iConcierge. That is when you get the unique number. It is for phone calls only. No texting functions through iConcierge from or to the ship. Texting only works to other devices on the ship with you for a fee of $7.95 per device.