Mekong River current water levels

eedee2

Hi eedee2,

I'm cruising next week as well, who are you going with?

I'm going on the Scenic Spirit. I haven't heard anything from Scenic or my TA.

My TA is usually on top of everything and I just spoke to him today and he didn't mention anything to do with water levels.

Cheers:)

Hi we are with Evergreen. And the following appeared on the ABC news site today--While Thailand continues to block rivers feeding the Mekong and divert small volumes, Vietnam said it had recorded the lowest levels of the Mekong River since 1926.

Hi Brisbanelionsfan

Do you know if there are any photos available for the Scenic Spirit? The website only shows the computer animated photos. Would be nice to see how the cruise ships looks in real. Could you post some photos when you return from your trip and comment on your experience.

Cheers

As far as I know, the hydroelectric plans are for Laos. Basically, the hotel boats cruise in the Mekong Delta and upstream from Phnom Penh onto the Tonle Sap River in Cambodia. The lake itself is too shallow. The Tonle Sap River and the Mekong meet in Phnom Penh.

There are only 3 hotel boats on the upper Mekong - above the falls - and right now one of them is out of commission for repairs. That one was supposed to be ours. :-( Instead, we were on small wooden boats on the upper Mekong for just a few hours. Afterwards we cruised the lower Mekong. Low water in both parts, but enough for the lower Mekong cruise. It is a mighty river below Phnom Penh, not like the Danube between Regensburg and Passau.

As far as I know, the hydroelectric plans are for Laos. Basically, the hotel boats cruise in the Mekong Delta and upstream from Phnom Penh onto the Tonle Sap River in Cambodia. The lake itself is too shallow. The Tonle Sap River and the Mekong meet in Phnom Penh.

There are only 3 hotel boats on the upper Mekong - above the falls - and right now one of them is out of commission for repairs. That one was supposed to be ours. :-( Instead, we were on small wooden boats on the upper Mekong for just a few hours. Afterwards we cruised the lower Mekong. Low water in both parts, but enough for the lower Mekong cruise. It is a mighty river below Phnom Penh, not like the Danube between Regensburg and Passau.

We spent two days cruising on the Upper Mekong in Laos up to northern Thailand. Magic.

Some of the dams are being built in China, some in Laos. All will affect flow further downstream, in Cambodia and probably Vietnam.

Hi Brisbanelionsfan

Do you know if there are any photos available for the Scenic Spirit? The website only shows the computer animated photos. Would be nice to see how the cruise ships looks in real. Could you post some photos when you return from your trip and comment on your experience.

Cheers

Yes I have seen the photos of the real ship. Awesome!! I can't wait for next week.

I will post a review when we get back.

Yes I have seen the photos of the real ship. Awesome!! I can't wait for next week.

I will post a review when we get back.

Where have you seen the photos. I cannot find any on the web except the artists impressions. I am interested as I will be going on the Scenic Aura, which is just a smaller version of the Scenic Spirit.

Tell me more about it! Which company did you use? Did you write a report/review/blog? I would love to read it.

Here's my trip report on Fodors:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-luang-prabang-luang-say-chiang-rai-singapore-but-no-siem-reap.cfm

It's lengthy, since we spent considerable time in Singapore after Thailand and Laos, but missed Cambodia, as you will see.

The boat ride was Luang Say Cruises: http://www.luangsay.com/. There are all kinds of conveyances going up and down the river between Luang Prabang and Huay Xai, i.e., northern Thailand. This particular company does relatively luxurious two-day trips, in a nicely-appointed long-tail boat. They feed you onboard during the day, and put you up in a wonderful hillside eco-hotel at the halfway point. Plus there are a couple of stops each day to visit hilltribe villages. Not boring at all, but then I was enthralled to see the river change as we went, and watch daily life go by.