Electrical outlets on Legend

sharkaymon

I've been reading posts re: the one electrical outlet in each cabin and the criteria for bringing your own power cord. I read that there is one outlet located at the desk area and that the one in the bathroom is useless except for electric razors.

My questions are: Is the outlet installed vertically or horizontally? Are the plugs one on top of the other or side by side? How much space is available between the outlet and the top of the desk? Does anyone have a picture of the type of power cord they were able to use and specifically a photo of it plugged in in the cabin?

I've been reading posts re: the one electrical outlet in each cabin and the criteria for bringing your own power cord. I read that there is one outlet located at the desk area and that the one in the bathroom is useless except for electric razors.

My questions are: Is the outlet installed vertically or horizontally? Are the plugs one on top of the other or side by side? How much space is available between the outlet and the top of the desk? Does anyone have a picture of the type of power cord they were able to use and specifically a photo of it plugged in in the cabin?

At about 1 minute into this you tube video you can see the outlet by the dresser in this Carnival Legend cabin.

I always use a 6 plug power cord on Carnival ships--similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TP1BWMK?keywords=power%20strip&qid=1458302190&ref_=sr_1_11&sr=8-11

Recently, Carnival Australia have stopped allowing powerboards on board, but you can ask your steward for one, I don't know if they're doing the same in the US.

These are the outlets (Australian on the left, US on the right):

image_2.jpg

They are not allowing power strips with surge protectors onboard the ships, as they ship's electricity system is completely different than normal house systems, and the surge protection can cause overheating. Just bring regular, cheap single to multi-plug cords and you should be fine. Also, I bought a cheap world-converter pack that allows me to use the European outlet as an additional plug.

At about 1 minute into this you tube video you can see the outlet by the dresser in this Carnival Legend cabin.

I always use a 6 plug power cord on Carnival ships--similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TP1BWMK?keywords=power%20strip&qid=1458302190&ref_=sr_1_11&sr=8-11

They are not allowing power strips with surge protectors onboard the ships, as they ship's electricity system is completely different than normal house systems, and the surge protection can cause overheating. Just bring regular, cheap single to multi-plug cords and you should be fine. Also, I bought a cheap world-converter pack that allows me to use the European outlet as an additional plug.

Yes, and unfortunately, the product winddawn linked to is a surge protected power strip, so is prohibited on all Carnival ships.

There is actually another outlet on the Legend. It is next to the side of the bed adjoining the bar. There is a cover over it and our room steward showed us where is was. The outlet is 2 prong European so you do need a U.S. to 2 prong converter plug. Only use if your appliance is dual voltage or self adjusting voltage. It was perfect for CPAP. Do not use power cord in cabin. You can short out the power or even start a fire.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by sb44
Wrong ship. Thought it was Star Legend. Sorry

Existing thread on this (power strips). You should be able to visualize a 3 prong cord plugged into an outlet.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2329900

There is actually another outlet on the Legend. It is next to the side of the bed adjoining the bar. There is a cover over it and our room steward showed us where is was. The outlet is 2 prong European so you do need a U.S. to 2 prong converter plug. Only use if your appliance is dual voltage or self adjusting voltage. It was perfect for CPAP. Do not use power cord in cabin. You can short out the power or even start a fire.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bar? Are you referring to the suites and jr. suites?

Sorry to spent so much time on this subject. It was a small part of the OP. I am certain that I am not the only one confused by the bathroom plug. Here is a better picture of that type of plug. It is low amperage only. If you use it as a regular outlet, you will have issues (trip breakers, face scrutiny of why it tripped, etc).

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shaver_Socket.JPG

Okay. I am done posting about that outlet here. :D

Edited by MaineBirdBrain
Picture was too large. Provided link instead.

• 1 month later...

This is the answer I was hoping to find,:D now to just find the world-converter pack.

Hate to rain on your parade but even simple single-to multi-plug cords are not allowed anymore.

They will be removed from your luggage and you can get it back at the end of the cruise. Happened to us in April and when we got to pick it up at the end of the cruise they had a lot (really a lot) lying on the floor to be picked up.

Thanks for this information! I went and purchased an adapter. For those of you looking for one, I found a pretty inexpensive one on Amazon. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Travel-Voltage-Converter-Charging/dp/B00MSTG93S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464262436&sr=8-1&keywords=BESTEK+Portable+6A+Max+Travel+Adapter

I can't wait for this cruise. We are going at the end of June.

Thanks for this information! I went and purchased an adapter. For those of you looking for one, I found a pretty inexpensive one on Amazon. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Travel-Voltage-Converter-Charging/dp/B00MSTG93S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464262436&sr=8-1&keywords=BESTEK+Portable+6A+Max+Travel+Adapter

I can't wait for this cruise. We are going at the end of June.

Be advised that this converter has surge protection, which is specifically prohibited on Carnival, so it may be confiscated.

My power strip was taken away last week on the Miracle. It was just a basic power strip that had no surge protection but the Guest Services said it was lacking a circuit breaker which made is prohibited. Being still confused about what was acceptable or not acceptable I took a picture of the one they lent me. I was able to find it on Amazon. Although expensive I will now have a sense of relief that mine won't be taken away on our next cruise.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Medical-Grade-Patient-Care-PS-615-HG-OEM/dp/B00140S836?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Hate to rain on your parade but even simple single-to multi-plug cords are not allowed anymore.

They will be removed from your luggage and you can get it back at the end of the cruise. Happened to us in April and when we got to pick it up at the end of the cruise they had a lot (really a lot) lying on the floor to be picked up.

So no power cords are allowed anymore, except for the ones for medical devices? Anyone else have experience with cords being confiscated.

Thanks. We are on The Legend next Tuesday.

So no power cords are allowed anymore, except for the ones for medical devices? Anyone else have experience with cords being confiscated.

Thanks. We are on The Legend next Tuesday.

We were on Legend last week (departed from Vancouver).

I had 2 basic power cords (1 plug, 3 outlets, about 10 feet long) and 2 power splitters (1 plug, 3 outlets) in checked luggage to the ship. Nothing was removed from any of the bags.

I only used the single 120vac plug on the desk area and daisy-chained the cords and splitters to get the number of needed outlets. I charged multiple camera batteries (typically 3 at once), powered a large laptop computer, and recharged phone/tablet type devices at the same time. I did not use the outlet in the bathroom. Also, there was no open outlet behind the TV.