wine on board procedure

renata102

My definition of "good" wine is that which tastes great and costs less than $10. Note that I have been a wine "taster" for more than 30 years.

Others will say good wine is that what costs more - it's your choice.

Go for it!

For the value I enjoy Costco/Kirkland brand wine

My definition of "good" wine is that which tastes great and costs less than $10. Note that I have been a wine "taster" for more than 30 years.

Others will say good wine is that what costs more - it's your choice.

Go for it!

I think you're confusing people saying more expensive wine tastes good, vs people have tastes that run more expensive. I started my wine hobby thinking it was crazy to pay over $20 a bottle. Seriously how much better can a $50 bottle be than a $20 bottle. But after experiencing more and more I realized the differences between areas, and even one vineyard vs another. And some of those things add to the cost. Doesn't make a difference to you that's one thing, but there are production costs that translate to taste difference. Whether or not one wishes to pay for that is a different story. Personally I'll be enjoying my steak with a nice aged Napa cab which they have none of on their list.

I think you're confusing people saying more expensive wine tastes good, vs people have tastes that run more expensive. I started my wine hobby thinking it was crazy to pay over $20 a bottle. Seriously how much better can a $50 bottle be than a $20 bottle. But after experiencing more and more I realized the differences between areas, and even one vineyard vs another. And some of those things add to the cost. Doesn't make a difference to you that's one thing, but there are production costs that translate to taste difference. Whether or not one wishes to pay for that is a different story. Personally I'll be enjoying my steak with a nice aged Napa cab which they have none of on their list.

What are some of your favorite aged cabs?

I agree with NurseDave above. I wish I could still drink the $10 and under wine and really enjoy it! I definitely enjoyed it in my earlier wine drinking years but as my tastes have evolved, I unfortunately have come to prefer the pricier wines. In fact, I cannot afford to drink what I really like so I settle for something that is better but not excellent. (I am envious of those who can genuinely enjoy the lower priced wines . . .I remember those days. Sigh...)

As far as the cruise is concerned, I will be splurging on some bottles of (what I consider to be) excellent wine to bring on board. From what I can see that NCL offers, while perfectly acceptable, I cannot justify the upcharge. However, that being said, I still intend to indulge in a glass of NCL vino or two since it comes with my UBP. But my primary purpose of utilizing the UBP is for cocktails. The wine I'm bringing will be enjoyed in my stateroom!

What are some of your favorite aged cabs?

Don't get me wrong, by aged I'm not talking 10-15 years, but something with a good 5-6 years on it. We have the luck of living near Napa and some of our favorite wineries are:

Cabs-

Black Stallion

Duckhorn

Buccella

Continuum

Merlot-

Rutherford Hill

Blends-

Paraduxx

Just remember that you can only legally bring 1L of alcohol per person back into the US. All other alcohol needs to be declared.

all alcohol must be declared. 1l per person 21 years an older can be brought in duty free. duty will be paid at customs for anything over that.

Except if you go to St Thomas (USVI)

Not correct. The rules are different for USVI-purchased alcohol, but there is limited. Once you exceed that limit (even if purchased in the USVI), you need to pay customs and border patrol duties and IRS taxes.

Be careful, else you could be caught and charged with smuggling. Is it really worth it for a cheap bottle of wine?

If going to a US Insular possession ( USVI ) you

can bring back 5 liters of alcohol as long as 4 are purchased in the USVI and 1 of those are produced in the USVI and the 5th

Bottle can then be purchased on any other island ( or the ship )

all alcohol must be declared. 1l per person 21 years an older can be brought in duty free. duty will be paid at customs for anything over that.

I would say that duty may be paid.

We declare everything, and even having carried six bottles back a couple of times, have never been charged, just waved through.

gary

I would say that duty may be paid.

We declare everything, and even having carried six bottles back a couple of times, have never been charged, just waved through.

gary

yes, just as in any business, there are employees that refuse to do their job properly. that is why you have people who smuggle alcohol on board, smoke on their balcony even after the cruise line has been notified, or carry 6 bottles of alcohol into the country without paying the proper duty....because the employee failed to enforce the rules and regulations they are supposed to enforce. i once carried 4 bottles of wine on my alaska cruise without paying the corkage fee because i was directed by security to a table that no one was sitting at. after waiting 5 minutes for someone to show up, i said the heck with it and continued on.

congrats on doing your job properly and declaring everything you were supposed to.

Edited by Computer Nerd

I would say that duty may be paid. We declare everything, and even having carried six bottles back a couple of times, have never been charged, just waved through.

Computer Nerd and Ranger719 correctly state the law. Failure to declare alcohol is a US Federal crime.

Not correct. The rules are different for USVI-purchased alcohol, but there is limited. Once you exceed that limit (even if purchased in the USVI), you need to pay customs and border patrol duties and IRS taxes.

Be careful, else you could be caught and charged with smuggling. Is it really worth it for a cheap bottle of wine?

No one is going to get a federal smuggling charge for a cheap bottle of wine.

Thank you for the reply. You're lucky to live in such a great area!

I have only had Duckhorn and really like it.

Don't get me wrong, by aged I'm not talking 10-15 years, but something with a good 5-6 years on it. We have the luck of living near Napa and some of our favorite wineries are:

Cabs-

Black Stallion

Duckhorn

Buccella

Continuum

Merlot-

Rutherford Hill

Blends-

Paraduxx

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is all disappointing. On other cruise lines (most) you can bring one bottle each with no corkage unless you take it to the restaurant.

We like to have a drink in the cabin before heading to dinner.

Never mind. Might just sit in a bar instead. :D

Well this is all disappointing. On other cruise lines (most) you can bring one bottle each with no corkage unless you take it to the restaurant.

We like to have a drink in the cabin before heading to dinner.

Never mind. Might just sit in a bar instead. :D

the flip side is you can legally bring more than 1 bottle of wine per person if you want onto an ncl ship.

btw, the bar will be much more expensive than a bottle of wine with the corkage fee.

the flip side is you can legally bring more than 1 bottle of wine per person if you want onto an ncl ship.

btw, the bar will be much more expensive than a bottle of wine with the corkage fee.

I prefer NCL's policy. My sister (wine snob) just sailed DCL again, and now they are limiting wine to 2 bottles, I think. I don't think there is a bottle onboard that she would drink, and if so, it would be super expensive. She stuck to mostly cocktails, wishing there was a corkage fee, unlimited.

Thanks to all for shedding light on the wine situation. First time on NCL and I'm looking at this two ways. I'm glad that NCL allows guests to bring their own wine and $15 corkage is pretty reasonable. But..from what I have been seeing their wine lists need some attention to include some more "interesting", fairly priced selections not necessarily included in the UBP. I plan to bring some "decent" bottles but don't want to undermine my UBP and certainly don't want our suitcase to end up in the "naughty room". Although with all the wine and spirits in there, it could be one of the best party rooms on the ship!