Thoughts from Quest

Roxburgh

So tonight I decided to try the Thomas Keller offering in the MDR. The starter was Terrine of Hudson Valley Moulard Duck Foie Gras. This was simply outstanding. I'm a big fan of terrine de foie gras and this was as good as any I have eaten.

The main was Homard au Vin. There was too much going on with this dish and especially the lardons it was served which overpowered the lobster. In my opinion, a delicate flavor like lobster needs a much simpler presentation.

I did not have the Keller desert.

So tonight I decided to try the Thomas Keller offering in the MDR. The starter was Terrine of Hudson Valley Moulard Duck Foie Gras. This was simply outstanding. I'm a big fan of terrine de foie gras and this was as good as any I have eaten.

Are the Keller features listed on the in-room menu the night before? This was the dish that intrigued me most from the various Keller postings that have been circulating. I'm not, otherwise, jazzed for Keller in particular although I do need to try his Ad Hoc night in the Colonnade at least once to complete a side-by-side review (I dined at the Napa original last month and I'm going to write a parallel review).

See you in five days!

• 2 weeks later...
No, we had caviar in the pool at Jost van Dyke. No marina day.

That is too bad as Jost is a good place for both, we had caviar and a marina day on the Sojourn a couple of years ago from Manaus. Only issues were transportation from dock to the beach, we did our own, and early departure time, 2 p.m. as I recall.

I shall put it on my list, thanks! I guess SB just put a tender to shore and you can walk to these places such as Soggy Dollar and Foxys as I can't imagine there being much in the way of taxis?

Edited by bradtarga34

I shall put it on my list, thanks! I guess SB just put a tender to shore and you can walk to these places such as Soggy Dollar and Foxys as I can't imagine there being much in the way of taxis?

There's a huge hill between the tender drop off and soggy dollar. Seabourn put on a shuttle open sided wagon that ferried crew and passengers alike (not for a marina or caviar event). Foxys is just around the bay from the drop off.

As the prior poster stated Seabourn had hired - at least on our cruise - an insufficient number of "taxis" so we hired our own instead of waiting 40 minutes for the, at the time, ONE Seabourn taxi. Eventually they brought more to shuttle the pax to the Soggy Dollar. Well worth the price to sample the original Pain Killer. You do need transportation to the Soggy Dollar from the pier but Foxy's is a short walk from the pier.

Foxy's sounds like good fun as well.

Watch out for the sand flies if you sit inside under the shades. We both got bitten around the feet and ankles. The itch fades after about 24-36 hours but excruciating for first few hours. Use insect repellent and you should be OK.

Watch out for the sand flies if you sit inside under the shades. We both got bitten around the feet and ankles. The itch fades after about 24-36 hours but excruciating for first few hours. Use insect repellent and you should be OK.

Wholeheartedly agree. We had the same experience. My husband's bites were infected and enormous and drove him to distraction for the rest of the holiday and to wearing gym socks to cover his feet up. That drove me to distraction but was better than the alternative!!

jenidallas, I am really looking forward to your side by side review of the FL/TK on Seabourn. I have dined twice at FL and both times DW and I opined that it could not be improved on. I am sure SB hoped that the roll out would be more successful than currently seems apparent. My question to you; do you see any hope of even 50%-60% on board quality?