Hotel near Manhattan cruise port

Traveler$$$

We are looking for a hotel near the Manhattan cruise port. They are all expensive and are wondering if we should just stay out by the airport and take a taxi in the next day? Appreciate any and all help. New York is an expensive city but I know you all can help. Thanks

Nancy

You will get tons and tons of information if you go to the East Coast Departures board, where they will have the low-down on every possible option. The short answer is that the consensus usually is to stay near EWR (I assume that's what you mean when you say "The Airport" as there are three - EWR (Newark), LaGuardia and JFK - and take either Dial7 or Carmel into town. But seriously, check the board, every question you ever thought of about accommodation and some that you didn't will be posted over there.

I stayed at a Comfort Inn in Manhattan for a reasonable rate by NY standards (a little over $200 I think). You could literally walk to the port. It was a tiny room but it did include a continental breakfast which at NY prices that was a good addition.

go to hotels.com I saw today the holiday inn on 57th street was really cheap. $166 a night from sat 4/9 to 4/11. for 2 nights.

Holiday Inn New York City-Midtown-57th Street

440 W 57th St, New York, NY, 10019, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9227‎

There are 2 hotels a block and a half from the 48th street entrance.

Comfort Inn where I have stayed (previously mentioned). Free wifi,

good breakfast, 24 hr coffee/tea

and next door

is Holiday Inn Express.

And if it's in NJ. have your looked into Hoboken or jersey city near the Path? It will connect you to penn station and u can take a taxi or uber or subway to the port.

I live in nj and I was going to be dropped off by my BIL and take the path to penn station and take subway with me n the kids. Now my BIL has more time so he will actually drive us to the pier.

Just don't use public transportation during rush hour. It's a hot mess. After 9:15 am it's good 4-6 pm it's also a hot mess

Try double tree by Hilton in Jersey City (good public transport nearby,) or if you want Manhattan and a short taxi trip try Residence inn by Marriott. I can recommend both from our cruise stay last summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't stay at the airport.

Keith

Any specific reason or just an opinion? We researched all options and decided to stay at the New Jersey Airport. We thought the rate at the Renaissance Hotel was very reasonable and it is a lovely hotel.

Cole

The op doesn't specify if they are flying into NYC or Newark.

IMHO if flying to NYC then to stay near the airport is crazy. Taxi to mediocre hotel that might have emergency housing people placed there throughout the night. Then a taxi to the port the next day. Versus a simple convenient taxi into NYC from the airport and a decent priced...$200....hotel for the night midtown and a nice dinner etc and possibly half priced broadway tix perhaps? Quick walk or cab to the port in the morning

Will it cost? Yes.....but that is the reality of flying into NYC the day before for peace of mind but if $$$ is the only factor and you are basically ok with a quick chain food place and will then hole up in your hotel near the airport. Just go for that.

If Newark is an option then I would definitely get a hotel there and maybe even one with transport included

For staying near LGA or JFK it's not worth it just come into NYC and enjoy but that's mho

There are trade offs in life some cost $$$ others cost convenience others give peace of mind.

Edited by luvtheships

Just an FYI...even a higher end type of hotel near the airport will sell an empty room at midnight to anyone...emergency housing included.

That's not going to happen at a better location...I.e. Midtown Those hotels jack the prices up for last minute in person bookings. Lol.

Definitely stay in Manhattan. There are so many things you can enjoy there even if you only have a short amount of time. There are countless restaurant options (and not all of them are expensive). Consider using a hotel bidding site like Priceline to get a lower rate or check for AAA discounts if you are a member.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Any specific reason or just an opinion? We researched all options and decided to stay at the New Jersey Airport. We thought the rate at the Renaissance Hotel was very reasonable and it is a lovely hotel.

Cole

Newark airport hotels are ok, and if you just want a place to sleep before your cruise, a good idea, because you will save on car service.

I stay at the Double Tree by Hilton. It's in the financial district so it's out of the way of all the neon lights and they have great rates. We are staying in a king suite for 4 days before our cruise and the total bill was just under 600. We booked through Expedia.

As another poster mentioned, NYC is currently using a lot of hotels as homeless shelters. Be very careful when you choose one. There's tons of problems at some of these hotels, like the animal that killed his wife, and 2 babies a few weeks ago in Staten Island.

Try double tree by Hilton in Jersey City (good public transport nearby,) or if you want Manhattan and a short taxi trip try Residence inn by Marriott. I can recommend both from our cruise stay last summer.

I like your picture. I have many like yours over the years. (I was born I the shadow of the Statue of Liberty and I have been going there as a child)

I like your picture. I have many like yours over the years. (I was born I the shadow of the Statue of Liberty and I have been going there as a child)

Why, thank you.

It was taken last summer during our NYC stay on the Gem to Canada/New England.

It really is the crossroads of the world, with plenty to see and do. Growing up there must have been a blast?

Why, thank you.

It was taken last summer during our NYC stay on the Gem to Canada/New England.

It really is the crossroads of the world, with plenty to see and do. Growing up there must have been a blast?

I feel lucky and privelaged to be born and raised in the NYC AREA (although I lived 4 years of my childhood in Poland and 4 years of adult hood in Southern California ).

NYC nightlife was my older teen and young adult playground. We stil go to theater and music or other events in around NYC every other weekend

I feel lucky and privelaged to be born and raised in the NYC AREA (although I lived 4 years of my childhood in Poland and 4 years of adult hood in Southern California ).

NYC nightlife was my older teen and young adult playground. We stil go to theater and music or other events in around NYC every other weekend

Sounds like a varied but good grounding you have there. Certainly plenty of options for music and events for you guys close at hand.

Being from Scotland it was a real life movie set for us. Walking around pointing at everything with mouths open[emoji4]

Sounds like a varied but good grounding you have there. Certainly plenty of options for music and events for you guys close at hand.

Being from Scotland it was a real life movie set for us. Walking around pointing at everything with mouths open[emoji4]

I know as a fact I am in many tourist pictures. As they take pictures of New Yorkers! I remember one double decker bus when I was in my 20s that the top half of Asian tourists were taking dozens of photos of my friend and I.

That being said. When I travel the world I also am in awe!!!

But NYC to me is amazing too. I love nyc

Just off the breakaway

Stayed over in NYC the night before we left on 3/13

Pricelined a 4-star in Manhattan and got the Sheraton in Times Square for $89. Was super nice and convenient.

The cab to the peer was $10 - was a great start to the trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk