Water level on the Danube

515kitty

Was wanting to watch what is happening on the Danube this spring and thru the year. We are to sail on Scenic in the fall and do not want to do a bus tour. Is there a sight to see the levels and how the river lines are handling the low or high levels. Since it was so low all last year was worried it might take a while to raise back up to normal. thanks for the help.

Edited by 515kitty

Trying to project what levels will be in the fall based on what's happening in March is next to impossible.

I sailed on the Danube last November, and if I had believed everything I read on CC, the following would have happened:

Uniworld would leave me stranded at a foreign airport because I booked my airfare through them.

I would travel between cities on a bus instead of a riverboat, and the cruise line wouldn't inform us of what was going on and the schedule.

Riverboats at ports would be stacked 10 deep and I'd have to traverse an obstacle course in order to debark.

The weather would be cold, wet, and dank, and no one with any sense should be in Europe in November.

Of course, none of this transpired, and even if some of it had, I would have survived and just gone with the flow. Hope for the best and if the water level is low, be optimistic and flexible. Enjoy your cruise.

Roz

It is impossible to predict water levels more than a week in avance. You can get an overall trend for a season, but statistics are, well, just statistics. Handling of low and high water situations depend on the company and the company depends on what the local authorities tell them to do or the captain advises. No way of knowing.

To give you a direct example: judging from the current situation on the Danube we will have a low water situation near Passau in a week's time as the level is falling and it is not raining much. But it is still cold and the snow has not melted fully in the area. In fact there might be some snow during the next few days. In April the snow will melt and additional rain at the some time could result in flooding.

notamermaid