Confused about young adult cruisers

DH and I just booked a cruise on the Sunshine. He invited his coworkers to come. When we were booking we got this warning:

"If the primary traveler in your room is 24 or under, you will need to add a cruiser who’s 25 or older to your cabin."

His coworkers will be 23 and 20 at the time of the cruise. So does that mean they can't be booked in the same room? I think I've seen where people put each younger person with each older person, but then just go to their own room, but does this affect the room key aspect of the S&S card? Also, would it affect OBC? Help! So confused. Obviously we need the name and picture of the person to match their own S&S card.

IF you and your husband are over 25 then one of your will have to be considered the guardian of the 20 year old. You will not have to be in the same cabin but your bookings will have to be linked. You need to call Carnival to set this up.

The CCL Policy states you must be 21 and over to book a cruise.

The age 25 and over rule applies when booking a person aged 18-20. They want a responsible over 25 yr old booked in the cabin. Especially if the under 21 is not family.

The above, which I found on the internet, does sound accurate.

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.*

You just have to have the bookings paired together. They can be in their own room however far away from y'all on the ship. Just call to book.

We already booked online, but haven't added the second "guests." Carnival's website is a little different now. So me, the 34 year old, has one room and the friend, who will be 23 at the time of the cruise, booked another room.

So as long as I just call Carnival and have the bookings linked the 23 year old can add her 20 year old boyfriend (at the time of the cruise) to her room and I can add my 40 year old husband to my room? That would be best, as I'm still confused about "switching keys" because S&S cards are linked to your onboard accounts as well as your room. Not to mention you have your photo linked to it.

I put my 18 year old son in a room by himself across the hall from mine. I had no problem doing this on the phone, but could not online.

You think maybe the difference is "Son" vs. "Co-Workers"? :rolleyes:

Yes, that's correct.

No, that is not correct. A 23 year old cannot book a cabin with a 20 year old. With a 20 year old, someone in the cabin must be 25 OR a parent, grandparent OR legal guardian must be on the same sailing.

You will need to book you or your husband in the cabin with the 20 year old and then switch keys once onboard.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

You don't have to be related to be considered a guardian.

No, that is not correct. A 23 year old cannot book a cabin with a 20 year old. With a 20 year old, someone in the cabin must be 25 OR a parent, grandparent OR legal guardian must be on the same sailing.

You will need to book you or your husband in the cabin with the 20 year old and then switch keys once onboard.

Yes, it is. The Carnival faq clearly states that they just have to have someone over 25 on the cruise with them as a guardian but, they can be however far away from said guardian with no restrictions. The guardian just had to be 25, no need for it to be a relative and no need to be in the same room. Just call to book and they can do it.

Yes, it is. The Carnival faq clearly states that they just have to have someone over 25 on the cruise with them as a guardian but, they can be however far away from said guardian with no restrictions. The guardian just had to be 25, no need for it to be a relative and no need to be in the same room. Just call to book and they can do it.

Yes, I just found that on the Carnival site and it does make sense. I'm just wondering what the "proper documentation" will be. Would hate for the 20 year old to be turned away at port! :eek:

I will call Carnival and hopefully it will just be the simple "cross-referencing" the online bookings we did today.

I wonder how college kids cruise together? Lol! Good thing my hubby and I can be guardians. They do call him "dad" and he calls them "the kids." :D

I am a travel agent and I am telling you that the Minor Guest Guidelines that were updated in August 2015 require that "Guests less than 21 years of age not traveling with parent, grand-parent or court-appointed legal guardian, must travel with an adult 25 years of age or older in the same stateroom." This is a DIRECT quote from Carnival's travel agent portal.

I have read the faqs on the Carnival web site and I can guarantee you that when you try to make the booking, the booking agent will not let the booking go through unless you lie and state you are a relative. I had this exact problem when I wanted to take my grandson's friend on a cruise with him and couldn't book them in a cabin by themselves. I had to book myself into the cabin with DGS friend and then switch the keys when we got onboard.

I am a travel agent and I am telling you that the Minor Guest Guidelines that were updated in August 2015 require that "Guests less than 21 years of age not traveling with parent, grand-parent or court-appointed legal guardian, must travel with an adult 25 years of age or older in the same stateroom." This is a DIRECT quote from Carnival's travel agent portal.

I have read the faqs on the Carnival web site and I can guarantee you that when you try to make the booking, the booking agent will not let the booking go through unless you lie and state you are a relative. I had this exact problem when I wanted to take my grandson's friend on a cruise with him and couldn't book them in a cabin by themselves. I had to book myself into the cabin with DGS friend and then switch the keys when we got onboard.

So, yes, when the 23 year old tries to book her 20 year old boyfriend under her online booking it won't let her. So we will have to book me with her boyfriend and her with my husband.

However, I'm still really confused about the whole "switching the keys" part. Your name and picture coincide with your S&S card, which is also your room key. Or would my husband be able to get another S&S card that just opens my door and her boyfriend gets one to open her door? Then they would still have their own cards linked to their own forms of payment.

So, yes, when the 23 year old tries to book her 20 year old boyfriend under her online booking it won't let her. So we will have to book me with her boyfriend and her with my husband.

However, I'm still really confused about the whole "switching the keys" part. Your name and picture coincide with your S&S card, which is also your room key. Or would my husband be able to get another S&S card that just opens my door and her boyfriend gets one to open her door? Then they would still have their own cards linked to their own forms of payment.

They will adjust the s&s cards at the guest services desk and issue new cards with the correct account information.

They discard the first cards and everything is on one card.

I am sure that someone has done this more recently than I have and can verify this.

Unless things have changed.

Edited by mzloolue

They will adjust the s&s cards at the guest services desk and issue new cards with the correct account information.

I am sure that someone has done this more recently than I have and can verify this.

We've done it in the past but Good Lord what a pain in the wazuu.

Plan on standing in the Guest Services line for about an hour with all party members involved.

Probably doesn't matter either way but I'd book the two girls together and the two guys together.

Okay, so what exactly do we say when we go to guest services? I don't want to get in trouble for bucking the system! My S&S and her S&S should be fine since we are the primaries, right? So the boys would need to get new S&S cards coinciding with their correct rooms?

What we've done is rather than get new S&S cards, one person in each cabin carries 2 cards. One is the official S&S to pay, get on and off the ship etc. The 2nd card just opens the door for the other cabin. To me it seems simpler because the S&S is already set up for charges etc. One person per cabin would need to go to guest services to get the duplicate room keys.

What we've done is rather than get new S&S cards, one person in each cabin carries 2 cards. One is the official S&S to pay, get on and off the ship etc. The 2nd card just opens the door for the other cabin. To me it seems simpler because the S&S is already set up for charges etc. One person per cabin would need to go to guest services to get the duplicate room keys.

That seems like a simpler option. So I'd just go and ask for an extra key to my room? And she would do the same? I didn't realize you could ask for extra room keys on the ship. That way we wouldn't have to fool with accounts, especially since I set mine up ahead of time.

Okay, so what exactly do we say when we go to guest services? I don't want to get in trouble for bucking the system! My S&S and her S&S should be fine since we are the primaries, right? So the boys would need to get new S&S cards coinciding with their correct rooms?

The people at the purser's/guest services desk have heard and seen it all.

They just want to get your cards switched and get the line worked down.

You don't have to tell them why you want it switched.

Just clearly explain that you need the s&s cards switched.

They do it all the time.

Edited by mzloolue