Is a week too Long

wally8

We plan on taking our grandkids out of school to take a week long cruise on the Wonder out of Galveston. Since this is our first Disney cruise , do you that have sailed think a week is too long on the Wonder? I look forward to your comments.

Bob from Tx

It is certainly not too long on the ship. You'll get all sorts of debates about taking them out of school.

The activities on the ship are geared to the length of the cruise. There are a lot of things added that there is simply not time to do on a shorter cruise. Each day will be different activities, there will be more movies, a different menu each night, etc. A week gives you enough time to enjoy the ship rather than just bouncing from one port to the next. We consider a week to be the minimum length!

DCL has kid activities from 9am to midnight for ages 3-17. Again, longer cruise = more activities.

Don't know how old the grands are...but if age appropriate, keep a lookout in the Navigator for the "Mickey 200." This is a family activity (at least one adult in each group is required). You are given a collection of vegetables and a very few other items. You make a race car using EVERYTHING in your kit, and then race it. The prizes are recognition and tokens, but it is fun. There is obviously an award for the fastest, but also for the most creative, most "Disney," etc. They can only have a limited number of teams, so watch for the sign up. This activity doesn't appear on short cruises, and is not on all week or longer on the Magic/Wonder. It is one of those things reserved to the classic ships.

Edited by moki'smommy

We plan on taking our grandkids out of school to take a week long cruise on the Wonder out of Galveston. Since this is our first Disney cruise , do you that have sailed think a week is too long on the Wonder? I look forward to your comments.

Bob from Tx

A 7 night cruise isn't "too long" for us, as we tend to like long cruises (10-14 nights typically).

first cruise

or first Disney cruise, but have cruised b4?

SOME people do NOT love cruising and discover this their first day ..... if this happens and you have 6 more to go it can be a problem.

I generally recommend 3 or 4 days for a 'first timer'

if not .... then a week is the ideal for most folks with kids cuz it meets the worker vacation schedule. Once you are able to take longer cruises I think you'll observe as we did that the average age goes up exponentially as cruise length increases (even on Disney)

This is our first Disney cruise. DW and I have cruised before usually for longer than 7 days so we are good to go. Our grandkids are 6 and 9 and they were the ones I was concerned about. We also would only take them out of school if they can make it up and not get behind. Maybe I can give them some lessons on the cruise. Thanks for all of your responses. Bob

Sounds like you have all bases covered--perfect ages, experienced cruisers (adults), etc. Have a great time!

I disagree that the mean age on a DCL cruise increases significantly until you get above 7 nights. The "population" on the ship is different on a 3 night than on a 7, but the difference didn't seem to be age related. Cruises longer than 7 days definitely favor older cruisers.

It is certainly not too long on the ship. You'll get all sorts of debates about taking them out of school.

The activities on the ship are geared to the length of the cruise. There are a lot of things added that there is simply not time to do on a shorter cruise. Each day will be different activities' date=' there will be more movies, a different menu each night, etc. A week gives you enough time to enjoy the ship rather than just bouncing from one port to the next. We consider a week to be the minimum length!

DCL has kid activities from 9am to midnight for ages 3-17. Again, longer cruise = more activities.

Don't know how old the grands are...but if age appropriate, keep a lookout in the Navigator for the "Mickey 200." This is a family activity (at least one adult in each group is required). You are given a collection of vegetables and a very few other items. You make a race car using EVERYTHING in your kit, and then race it. The prizes are recognition and tokens, but it is fun. There is obviously an award for the fastest, but also for the most creative, most "Disney," etc. They can only have a limited number of teams, so watch for the sign up. This activity doesn't appear on short cruises, and is not on all week or longer on the Magic/Wonder. It is one of those things reserved to the classic ships.[/quote']

Things have changed a bit regarding the Mickey 200. It is also on the Fantasy and we had it on our 4 night Wonder cruise back in September. They also give out a prize for best team name, we won and got this little beauty!

335f60184bd03bdf429ca50857c2c016.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe you're not the same, but I know for us it can take a few days to get into the cruise life and really start being able to relax as well as know where things are. I'd feel like I lost a big part of my cruise if they were shorter than a week. There is so much variety our kids always had things they wanted to do. Especially when you add in the family activities.

My kids first Disney cruise was 14 night WBTA when they were ages 4 and 7, and we all loved it. Since then they have gone on 14 night EBPC at ages 6 and 9 and another WBTA at 7 and 10. We also did an 11 night on Celebrity to Alaska last year. They just did a 5 night we all loved, but wayyyyyy too short.

I think if they make friends and are kept busy --which is actually easy to do on longer cruises, they'll be fine. Honestly, 7 days go by FAST on a Disney cruise.

Our first Disney cruise was a 7 night and we fell in love instantly and completely. :)

It is the best way for my husband to truly get away from our business and turn off the phone, email and disconnect for awhile.

We would love to take longer cruises, but he cannot disconnect for THAT long and still come back to the business without worrying. lol ...Someday.

We have taken a couple of 4 night cruises and always felt like we should have booked longer. And in fact were recently booked on a 4 night but changed it to a 7 night.

We are on a 4 night at the end of May and then taking a staycation at Disney World for a few days after.

Have a wonderful time, and just enjoy the experience whether it is 4,7 or longer.