When to book air

myisland00

Note that with UA anyway, you must actually pay the change fee, it's not deducted from the fare difference. You then are issued a voucher for the fare difference.

So, if your $500 fare drops to $200, you pay the $200 change fee and are issued a $300 voucher. I don't know how the other legacy carriers handle these transactions.

Unless they've changed, Delta deducts the change fee from the savings and issues a voucher for the difference. As you said though, either way the price rarely drops enough to cover the change fee AND yield significant savings.

If you are booked with Southwest it is very easy. You just call up and tell them your confirmation number and that you found it less expensive. They basically take the savings difference and put it in a "bank" for you. Ca-vet, you have (I believe 12 months from when you originally booked the tickets to use your bank. Must be same person flying on new ticket and cannot combine with others.

Example: I called several times for our last cruise when I caught savings on our flights. Did this maybe three times. I think we each had $87 to use. Could not find a convenient flight or place to go and use the $87 X 2. Southwest rolled the dice and won. Too bad it doesn't last more than a year. We will be flying again this coming December. Always worth a try.

Another thought: Who are you sailing with? I just booked one of my flights through Princess Air. The price was the same and my seats are held and now I can pay on time (just like my cruise). Will need to decide before 45 days prior to cruise to keep it or not. I believe Carnival has this service as well, but I think you have to call to book it. --> If you booked cruise through TA, then they have to do this too.

• 3 weeks later...