18 year old drinking waiver

Savmom9801

Sorry. I don't get what you're saying here. Because the majority of 18-year old military personnel don't die, it's something at which you find you want to laugh? Not trying to be snarky. I truly don't understand what you're trying to get across.

They don't understand the concept of someone being old enough to defend the country and not being able to partake of a full spectrum of benefits and rights as well.

That's what they don't understand. It's not really about drinking.

People who are "defending the country" generally aren't doing it because of they want to "defend the country" per se. If anything, they do it because they cannot get into a college or get a good job. They aren't West Point grads....

Although I respect their decision, I don't see that decision as a sign of maturity.

Someone going to community college and flipping burgers is just as mature, or perhaps more mature than an Ivy League student, tuition courtesy of mommy & daddy.

That might be the most ignorant post I have ever read on this board.

I have several family members and know family of friends who have served

and none of them fit that criteria.

Agreed 100%. I am disgusted by those comments.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

I still don't understand why drinking is a requirement to have a good time. Rules are rules. The military has nothing to do with anything. In my opinion, when I spend thousands of dollars on vacation, I want to remember it. That being said, I doubt a waiver would be accepted for the friend since you aren't the legal parent/guardian. I would just not sign the waiver for either of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I still don't understand why drinking is a requirement to have a good time. Rules are rules. The military has nothing to do with anything. In my opinion, when I spend thousands of dollars on vacation, I want to remember it. That being said, I doubt a waiver would be accepted for the friend since you aren't the legal parent/guardian. I would just not sign the waiver for either of them.

See post #126.

I was eating my popcorn then spit it out of my mouth when I saw those comments. April, I believe in free speech and the right of anyone to share their opinion on these boards. But as the father of a son who is a 2LT in the Army and is currently going through Armor School training to be a Cavalry Scout, I can tell you only the best and brightest lead our armed forces that are comprised of brave men and women who stand guard and shed their blood on foreign lands for your right to say stupid things. The backbone of our armed forces are kids - 18, 19, 20 yrs old who, for whatever reasons chose to serve. To say they volunteered to serve and die for their country because they weren't smart enough to get into college is a slap in the face of everyone who served.

This thread was started by someone who simply asked about signing a waiver for their 18 yr old child to drink on a cruise. I think that question's been answered.

And if the OP asked for opinions on "what are the requirements for having a good time" and opinions on "18 year old drinking" and opinions on "what type of person enlists in the military" and opinions on "who are better citizens - college students or enlisted military" and.....well you get my drift.

But the OP didn't ask any of these things. If the OP says that their 18 year old can drink wine and beer on a cruise, and NCL says they can, and they have the permission of the parents of their child's friend, then no one else's opinion matters. They are doing NOTHING wrong. Why do people feel the need to be so freaking judgmental. Grrrrrrrrrr. Makes me crazy.

I was eating my popcorn then spit it out of my mouth when I saw those comments. April, I believe in free speech and the right of anyone to share their opinion on these boards. But as the father of a son who is a 2LT in the Army and is currently going through Armor School training to be a Cavalry Scout, I can tell you only the best and brightest lead our armed forces that are comprised of brave men and women who stand guard and shed their blood on foreign lands for your right to say stupid things. The backbone of our armed forces are kids - 18, 19, 20 yrs old who, for whatever reasons chose to serve. To say they volunteered to serve and die for their country because they weren't smart enough to get into college is a slap in the face of everyone who served.

This thread was started by someone who simply asked about signing a waiver for their 18 yr old child to drink on a cruise. I think that question's been answered.

You rock!

That is your perogative but you state your opinion in just such a judgemental way.

They wanted to know if they could sign for someone else's kid.

People who are "defending the country" generally aren't doing it because of they want to "defend the country" per se. If anything, they do it because they cannot get into a college or get a good job. They aren't West Point grads....

SMFH - what an uninformed, stupid thing to say.

Not sure how my name got included in that post , but please look closer and see it was posted by April4279

And if the OP asked for opinions on "what are the requirements for having a good time" and opinions on "18 year old drinking" and opinions on "what type of person enlists in the military" and opinions on "who are better citizens - college students or enlisted military" and.....well you get my drift.

But the OP didn't ask any of these things. If the OP says that their 18 year old can drink wine and beer on a cruise, and NCL says they can, and they have the permission of the parents of their child's friend, then no one else's opinion matters. They are doing NOTHING wrong. Why do people feel the need to be so freaking judgmental. Grrrrrrrrrr. Makes me crazy.

Aren't you doing the same thing by writing this response?

Lets not forget the ones that the judge gets sick of seeing before him and says "sign up or jail"

Again I have all the respect in the world for anyone who serves our country, but it is not the only sign of maturity and responsibility.

Yeah, that isn't a thing anymore.

That wasn't my intention. That's why I said it was my opinion.

Thanks, it just felt a little that way, as if any of us who chose alcohol were getting wasted. I can assure you that is not my intent. Although I realize some people choose that route. As long as they aren't driving or causing a ruckus that is their choice. I just happen to get the UBP for the first time since I cruise in suites. If not, I would never buy it as there is not enough value as I am a light drinker.

Anyways, thanks for your reply.

Then there is Prune Juice and Vodka , it's called a Pile driver

or Vodka and Coffee ....Its called Screw Mrs. Olsen (Ok you may have to be older than dirt to get that one *LOL*)

While I read this whole thread because basically it's like a train wreck you just have to look at, I'm going to vote now that everyone go totally off topic (like it wasn't already?) and come up with funny drink names. This made me laugh out loud! [emoji12] Thanks for the brief break in an otherwise crazy thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While I read this whole thread because basically it's like a train wreck you just have to look at, I'm going to vote now that everyone go totally off topic (like it wasn't already?) and come up with funny drink names. This made me laugh out loud! [emoji12] Thanks for the brief break in an otherwise crazy thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Figures , I use up my two best funny drink names and now you want to start a trend ... *LOL* Glad I made you laugh

Then there is Prune Juice and Vodka , it's called a Pile driver

or Vodka and Coffee ....Its called Screw Mrs. Olsen (Ok you may have to be older than dirt to get that one *LOL*)

Very funny.. love it

Edited by Robinandjudith
Posted twice.

I personally think it's ridiculous that a 20 year old couple who have been drinking legally at home for a year or two, will take a cruise vacation and be told they're not allowed to drink.

In my province, the drinking age is 19 and 10 minutes across the bridge it's 18.

NCL has no legal reason to have a drinking age to match the US, as others have said, the rest of the world has a lower drinking age. If parents want to sign the waiver, I see nothing wrong with it. OP, you will likely not be able to sign for the friend, but I would have a signed letter from their parents just in case.