18 year old drinking waiver

Savmom9801

wouldn't it be funny if a state had the balls to tell the federal government to kiss its butt and go back to 18 for drinking. if the government threatens to pull roadway funding the state threatens to put tolls at every entrance to the state for out of state drivers. a state might even make more money than what the feds provide to boot. :D

Not sure where you live, but our roads suck. The bridges are ready to fall into the drink . They are always talking about bringing back the toll booths. And sadly a week doesn't go by that you don't read or hear about at least one young person getting killed in a car accident. Not saying all of them are alcohol related . So where is the big gain?

wouldn't it be funny if a state had the balls to tell the federal government to kiss its butt and go back to 18 for drinking. if the government threatens to pull roadway funding the state . :D

Louisiana did this for about three years.

They realized they were paying and not getting it back and that it wasn't financially viable.

Extortion. Plain and simple.

Yes some countries definitely have some backwards laws, allowing kids to drink just sounds like a recipe for bad behavior.

It may sound like a recipe for disaster, but is there any evidence that it is?

On the other hand, I believe the US leads the world in youth gun murders. Maybe they should just a have a beer and chill.

I have a question along the same lines. The NCL FAQ states that for pax 18-20 sailing a round trip from a European port do not require a signed waiver to be permitted to consume beer or wine (given the different les in Europe that have been noted on this thread.). In the section above that the policy says the waiver for sailing from other ports permits the purchase and consumption of beer and wine. Does anyone have experience from European ports as to how this works? Specifically, can 18-20 purchase the beer/wine, too, and not just consume what a parent has purchased for them? I'm assuming this may be an oversight in the verbiage regarding purchase, too? If not, no big deal but curious as to anyone who's had this situation.

Mostly that is a recipe for responsible behaviour as one can drink supervised earlier instead of sneaking and doing so in hiding (like already mentioned).

As already noted in several posts, it's US that has "backwards laws".

Where's that like button.

Not me. It was legal for 18 year olds in Texas when I was 18.

And where I live it has been most, maybe all, of my life.

But to some the way it is in the USA is the only way it can be.

And to a few of them it is the only possible right way.

I took my nephew on a cruise for his 18th birthday and high school graduation. We had a letter from his parents, which NCL accepted allowing him beer and wine. I think he had maybe two beers the whole weekend cruise.

His little sister, who is seven years younger, graduated from high school last year and again I took her on a cruise. This time NCL would not accept a letter from her parents allowing her to have beer and wine. The only thing she was interested in having anyway was a Mimosa. So, it was no big deal.

Now I am booked on a cruise next year with my sister, and my niece aforementioned, who will be traveling with her mother. She reminded us she still wants her Mimosa. At the time of the cruise she will be 20.

Not sure where you live, but our roads suck. The bridges are ready to fall into the drink . They are always talking about bringing back the toll booths. And sadly a week doesn't go by that you don't read or hear about at least one young person getting killed in a car accident. Not saying all of them are alcohol related . So where is the big gain?

pick a state that has major interstates through it.....say north carolina. could you imagine the amount of money that they could collect by charging a toll on i-95 and i-85 for every time someone from out of state crossed the border. and no one is going to drive 8 hours out of the way to go around the state either.....not cost effective.

Mostly that is a recipe for responsible behaviour as one can drink supervised earlier instead of sneaking and doing so in hiding (like already mentioned).

As already noted in several posts, it's US that has "backwards laws".

different, yes, backwards no. no different than in driving in oz/great britian/japan is on the left side of the road and most of the rest f the world is on the right side. i wouldn't call oz/great britian/japan -backwards-, just different.

I took my nephew on a cruise for his 18th birthday and high school graduation. We had a letter from his parents, which NCL accepted allowing him beer and wine. I think he had maybe two beers the whole weekend cruise.

His little sister, who is seven years younger, graduated from high school last year and again I took her on a cruise. This time NCL would not accept a letter from her parents allowing her to have beer and wine. The only thing she was interested in having anyway was a Mimosa. So, it was no big deal.

Now I am booked on a cruise next year with my sister, and my niece aforementioned, who will be traveling with her mother. She reminded us she still wants her Mimosa. At the time of the cruise she will be 20.

still can't have that mimosa as it has liquor in it and your 20 year old niece will only be allowed beer or wine if he mother approves.

Following the law is always a plus.

I have been getting flamed for 2 days, because I said something to that effect. Laws are NOT made to be broken just because mommy and daddy want their kids to do something that they want to do.

still can't have that mimosa as it has liquor in it and your 20 year old niece will only be allowed beer or wine if he mother approves.

Nah. Mimosa is OJ and Champagne or sparling wine. And for her just a splash of the latter. [emoji1]

I have been getting flamed for 2 days, because I said something to that effect. Laws are NOT made to be broken just because mommy and daddy want their kids to do something that they want to do.

And by allowing 18-20 years to to drink in international water away from the USA is obeying the law. Glad we have all finally agreed that this is acceptable by all law abiding citizens

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Louisiana did this for about three years.

They realized they were paying and not getting it back and that it wasn't financially viable.

Extortion. Plain and simple.

Louisiana held out for way more than 3 years. They didn't change the law there until 1996 (the year I moved there...thankfully older than 21)!

How bout you answer the question and keep your opinions to yourself ? BTW we didn't all have to wait until we were 21. When I was 18 it was legal to drink.

Well then you must be old as dirt. The legal age of the US is 21 so I dont know what era your from but I will say this.....Its CRUISE CRITIC and its where PEOPLE PLACE OPINIONS!!!!!!! Get a grip:rolleyes:

This whole thread is about letting young kids drink.....thats pretty bad. They wanna raise the minimum raise at McDonalds to 15 an hour here in the US and people still wanna let there kids drink on a cruise?? Holy smokes, thats bad

This whole thread is about letting young kids drink.....thats pretty bad. They wanna raise the minimum raise at McDonalds to 15 an hour here in the US and people still wanna let there kids drink on a cruise?? Holy smokes, thats bad

A 20 year old college sophomore who holds down a job and contributes to the cost of her cruise is not a "young kid".

YOU are the one being judgemental! And what does this have to do with the minimum wage anyways?

It really is a shame that a guy old enough to put on a uniform and defend his country cannot have a beer but thanks to our spineless congress(no upper-case letter for them any more, not worthy) they are sort of not allowed.

I'm pretty certain that the parent must be travelling with them to sign the waiver.

Agree 100%

Adult at 18, can go to war and be maimed or killed at 18, can vote at 18 but nanny state says no brews until 21.

All that does is dangle the "forbidden fruit" in front of them. Idiotic.

Agree 100%

Adult at 18, can go to war and be maimed or killed at 18, can vote at 18 but nanny state says no brews until 21.

All that does is dangle the "forbidden fruit" in front of them. Idiotic.

My son was able to drink when he was 20 cause he was defending our country...I agree with that. Not working the pizza shop in a small town while in college.....BIG difference. and please dont argue that, cause you will lose

A 20 year old college sophomore who holds down a job and contributes to the cost of her cruise is not a "young kid".

YOU are the one being judgemental! And what does this have to do with the minimum wage anyways?

Read previous quote please:cool: