Is the dock in Messina or Taormina?

SLOTheta

I searched this board for things to go in Taormina and I'm confused as to where our ship will dock. We are in Holland America this summer and our itinerary shows Taormina. But, in this board, most of the threads are about tracking to Taormina from somewhere else, most posts are from Messina.

Can someone clarify?

If we are dropped off in Taormina, can we walk off the ship and do our own thing?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does the itinerary say "Giardini Naxos"?

We sailed Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam last summer, and it anchored off Giardini Naxos. Yes, you can walk off the ship here and do your own thing. The town of Taormina is at the top of the hill above Giardini Naxos and is easy to reach via taxi or bus:

https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Sicilia/Giardini_Naxos-150440/Transportation-Giardini_Naxos-TG-C-1.html

Yes: The Eurodam will anchor off Giardini Naxos.

Edited by epixx

We sailed Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam last summer, and it anchored off Giardini Naxos. Yes, you can walk off the ship here and do your own thing. The town of Taormina is at the top of the hill above Giardini Naxos and is easy to reach via taxi url]

Our itinerary says Taormina. See photo d14869c3c14db2f43124e7dec8237e81.jpg

Thank you. That's very helpful. I wonder why all the other port names match exactly what we have on our itinerary, but this one does not match. I've never seen or heard of Giardi Naxos and it's not in the HAL site. Do you know why there's a discrepancy for this one port?

Thank you. That's very helpful. I wonder why all the other port names match exactly what we have on our itinerary, but this one does not match. I've never seen or heard of Giardi Naxos and it's not in the HAL site. Do you know why there's a discrepancy for this one port?

You are welcome. No; I have no explanation.

In HAL's defense, though, I much preferred tendering here that docking in Messina, which we did on a previous cruise (different cruise line). Your itinerary is very similar to the one we did last year. Have a good time.

Yes: The Eurodam will anchor off Giardini Naxos.

I instant chatted with Holland America on-line. It appears our ship is anchored at sea and we will take a tender to and from the port of Taormina.

Not sure if this means we are anchored off Giardini Naxos or not, since I have no idea where anything is!

I instant chatted with Holland America on-line. It appears our ship is anchored at sea and we will take a tender to and from the port of Taormina.

Not sure if this means we are anchored off Giardini Naxos or not, since I have no idea where anything is!

That's funny! It just shows how much the HAL representatives know! Taormina is way at the top of the hill. You'd need a helicopter, not a tender boat, to go directly from the ship to Taormina.

As I mentioned above, your ship will anchor outside Giardini Naxos, and you will ride the tender there.