Entrance to Studio Lounge on Getaway??

alexmom

I can't see how to enter the lounge from the deck plans. I see an icon for a staircase in the upper left hand corner on both deck 10 & 11 lounge diagrams, but no marking that would indicate a door. I have no idea if the cabin I've chosen (11501) on deck 11, which looks (on the deck plans) like it is right next to the lounge, is close to it or as far away as humanly possible.

I actually called NCL but the young woman I spoke with clearly had no idea, she didn't even know if the lounge could be accessed on both deck 10 and on deck 11.

I also read in one of the bazillion threads I've read that it is best to have a cabin that faces the outer hallway as opposed to having another solo cabin at your back. Something about the constant sound of running water from the other cabins bathroom.

I would love for anyone who has sailed in any of these solo cabins to chime in. I really have no idea what to expect, I've never sailed with NCL before, so any tips or experiences sailing solo will help.

warm regards,

Kristine

Just returned from a cruise on the Getaway last week. We stayed on deck 10, my Uncle stayed in the studio lounge (10521 I believe).

He accessed the room from the forward elevator, on the Port side of the ship. Walk about 50 feet up the hallway and there is a door on the interior side of the ship with a big circular sign that says "STUDIO LOUNGE".

Within that area are a few hallways with rooms and access to your actual lounge (which is two levels). During our sailing, the lounge had a bartender there from 5 to 7pm every night.

Edit - No matter where you stay you hear the toilets flush. We were on a balcony and when someone flushes..... you know it. It is no different in the lounge.

You will have a great time in there!

Edited by cannuk_cruiser

The Studio Lounge Entrance is just steps from your cabin and the lounge itself is down the stairs on level. I thin that you will have a Housekeeping closet next to your cabin.

Both Deck 10 and 11 have entrances to the Studio Cabins on both the Port and Starboard sides. You can access The Studio Lounge from both Decks 10 and 11 once you have enter The Studio Cabin area. The Lounge is not accessible from the main corridors.

I have had a number of Studios in different locations and on both Deck 10 and 11. Very quiet.

Have a great cruise.

I can't see how to enter the lounge from the deck plans. I see an icon for a staircase in the upper left hand corner on both deck 10 & 11 lounge diagrams, but no marking that would indicate a door. I have no idea if the cabin I've chosen (11501) on deck 11, which looks (on the deck plans) like it is right next to the lounge, is close to it or as far away as humanly possible.

I actually called NCL but the young woman I spoke with clearly had no idea, she didn't even know if the lounge could be accessed on both deck 10 and on deck 11.

I also read in one of the bazillion threads I've read that it is best to have a cabin that faces the outer hallway as opposed to having another solo cabin at your back. Something about the constant sound of running water from the other cabins bathroom.

I would love for anyone who has sailed in any of these solo cabins to chime in. I really have no idea what to expect, I've never sailed with NCL before, so any tips or experiences sailing solo will help.

warm regards,

Kristine

i have sailed the getaway twice, both solo but once in the studio rooms and once in an inside room on the 5th floor. My only complaint about the inside room was how noisy it was compared to the studio room. The studio area was super quiet. I much prefered the studio to the regular cabin by far. Studio lounge had an entrance on both levels. I now booked a studio on the escape. Cant wait!!

i have sailed the getaway twice, both solo but once in the studio rooms and once in an inside room on the 5th floor. My only complaint about the inside room was how noisy it was compared to the studio room. The studio area was super quiet. I much prefered the studio to the regular cabin by far. Studio lounge had an entrance on both levels. I now booked a studio on the escape. Cant wait!!

Thank you so much for responding ! I'm used to bringing soft earplugs with me because my DH is a snorer and I'll probably bring a pair with me on the cruise, even though he won't be there. It doesn't sound like I'll be needing them though.

Since you've sailed Getaway solo before, can you remember if they had sign ups for dinner in the lounge ? I'm sure I will hang out with at least one lady from our role call, but probably not for dinner. I would love to sit at a big table with other cruisers sometimes instead of by myself.

Thank you again,

Kristine

The Studio Lounge Entrance is just steps from your cabin and the lounge itself is down the stairs on level. I thin that you will have a Housekeeping closet next to your cabin.

Both Deck 10 and 11 have entrances to the Studio Cabins on both the Port and Starboard sides. You can access The Studio Lounge from both Decks 10 and 11 once you have enter The Studio Cabin area. The Lounge is not accessible from the main corridors.

I have had a number of Studios in different locations and on both Deck 10 and 11. Very quiet.

Have a great cruise.

This is great information ! I was wondering what that sliver of white space across from my cabin was ! It appears that it's the door to the Studio cabins. I'm planning our role call cabin crawl and I was hoping to show my studio, but not if it involved dragging people up and down those interior corridors.

I'd like to ask you about your experience in the Studio cabins and lounge. Do you have any tips to share ? I have read that there is a coffee machine in the Lounge. Did you see it or use it ?

Thank you again,

Kristine

This is great information ! I was wondering what that sliver of white space across from my cabin was ! It appears that it's the door to the Studio cabins. I'm planning our role call cabin crawl and I was hoping to show my studio, but not if it involved dragging people up and down those interior corridors.

I'd like to ask you about your experience in the Studio cabins and lounge. Do you have any tips to share ? I have read that there is a coffee machine in the Lounge. Did you see it or use it ?

Thank you again,

Kristine

Yes, there are lots of free goodies in the Lounge. There is coffee, juice, cookies and other goodies. The TV is usually on to a sports channel. There is also a self- service wine machine ( like candy machine). You need to use your room card for it, everything else is free. There is usually a gathering every evening in the Lounge for Studio passengers and for others who are traveling solo. There are sign-ups for dinner and shows.

I do not use the Lounge for those reasons however. I am usually just checking sport scores.

You can ask at any of the restaurants to dine with others and they will try to accommodate you.

When are you going?

Mandy

Just returned from a cruise on the Getaway last week. We stayed on deck 10, my Uncle stayed in the studio lounge (10521 I believe).

He accessed the room from the forward elevator, on the Port side of the ship. Walk about 50 feet up the hallway and there is a door on the interior side of the ship with a big circular sign that says "STUDIO LOUNGE".

Within that area are a few hallways with rooms and access to your actual lounge (which is two levels). During our sailing, the lounge had a bartender there from 5 to 7pm every night.

Edit - No matter where you stay you hear the toilets flush. We were on a balcony and when someone flushes..... you know it. It is no different in the lounge.

You will have a great time in there!

Great information ! This is the first time I've heard that there was a bartender in the lounge. I have the UBP but I'm not a heavy drinker, although the thought of a cordial before dinner sounds good. Do they have a set up that carries cranberry juice or is it just the automated wine machines that I've seen photos of ? I realize that you probably don't have this information but your uncle might. Does he follow CC ? If he does, would you direct him to this thread ? If he's not a CC member or he doesn't really want to answer, I still thank you for responding to this thread !

Do you have an experience from your recent cruise that you think is a 'don't miss this' tip ? A specific dish or dinner venue ? A show ? Anything you thought was a standout experience. Oh, and did you write a review yet ?!! I would love to read it !

Thank you again,

Kristine

In my replies to the gracious people who responded to my original question, I asked other questions. Please, to original posters and to anyone reading this thread, feel free to throw in your 2 cents at any time. To the information poor, 2 cents is considered quite a windfall ! I've never sailed with NCL before and I only have 3 cruises under my belt to date. That clearly puts me still in 'newbie' territory !

warm regards,

Kristine

Kristine,

On behalf of the Norwegian Getaway staff and the Norwegian corporate staff, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

I will tell you that I have fallen in love with cruising (only with Norwegian) and with the Getaway. I will be sailing on Her (ships are She's by the way) for 22 straight days in December and I can not wait.

Ask all the questions you want.

I will tell you one more thing I love about Studio cabins. They have a frosted glass window that lets light from the corridor shine through into the cabin. there are blinds AND shutters to make the cabin pitch black at night. I adjust both the blinds and the shutters so they allow enough light in to act as a nightlight but that no one can see in. You can only see shadows anyway.

Since this is new to you, in order to turn the lights on or the heating and air

conditioning, you need to put your room key into the slot by the door. Power does NOT work without something in the slot. You can not leave something plugged in to charge without a card of some sort in the slot (old credit card, library card).

Have a great cruise.

Mandy

Yes, there are lots of free goodies in the Lounge. There is coffee, juice, cookies and other goodies. The TV is usually on to a sports channel. There is also a self- service wine machine ( like candy machine). You need to use your room card for it, everything else is free. There is usually a gathering every evening in the Lounge for Studio passengers and for others who are traveling solo. There are sign-ups for dinner and shows.

I do not use the Lounge for those reasons however. I am usually just checking sport scores.

You can ask at any of the restaurants to dine with others and they will try to accommodate you.

When are you going?

Mandy

I'm sailing February 5, 2017. Yes, it's 10+ months out but I'm still so excited ! My other 3 cruises were done with my husband and son, it's my first solo. I kind of had a midlife crisis last month on my birthday and my husband suggested I take a trip by myself. I'm sure he was thinking, "she likes trains, she'll probably ride the rails for a week, like Sheldon Cooper." LOL ! So I did what any clear thinking wife/mother/cook/laundress/CFO would do - I booked a cruise so I would turn 64 in another country ! You know the saying "if travel were free, you'd never see me again" ? I resemble that remark !

I keep hearing about that coffee machine ! Is it a regular machine like in the food court ? I was hoping for a Keurig-like set up, although I know I'll be heading to wherever I can get a double strong Americano. I'm one of those people who needs a cup of coffee before I have my coffee. And I will definitely use a dinner sign up sheet several times but I'm looking forward to getting away from TV. I do hope they run movies somewhere though. Watching "Gravity" under the stars in the middle of the Caribbean was glorious !! "Captain Phillips", not so much !

Thanks,

Kristine

I'm sailing February 5, 2017. Yes, it's 10+ months out but I'm still so excited ! My other 3 cruises were done with my husband and son, it's my first solo. I kind of had a midlife crisis last month on my birthday and my husband suggested I take a trip by myself. I'm sure he was thinking, "she likes trains, she'll probably ride the rails for a week, like Sheldon Cooper." LOL ! So I did what any clear thinking wife/mother/cook/laundress/CFO would do - I booked a cruise so I would turn 64 in another country ! You know the saying "if travel were free, you'd never see me again" ? I resemble that remark !

I keep hearing about that coffee machine ! Is it a regular machine like in the food court ? I was hoping for a Keurig-like set up, although I know I'll be heading to wherever I can get a double strong Americano. I'm one of those people who needs a cup of coffee before I have my coffee. And I will definitely use a dinner sign up sheet several times but I'm looking forward to getting away from TV. I do hope they run movies somewhere though. Watching "Gravity" under the stars in the middle of the Caribbean was glorious !! "Captain Phillips", not so much !

Thanks,

Kristine

Can not tell you about the coffee in the Lounge. First thing every morning 5:45 A.M., i head for the buffet and the huge coffee urns. Take my coffee to a window table and watch the sun rise, if it has not already.

I have been widow for a number of years now and will be 70 this Fall. I have celebrated several birthdays on board a Norwegian ship. Love it. Will be spending my second Christmas on board The Getaway as part of my 22 days on Her. I can not wait.

Kristine,

On behalf of the Norwegian Getaway staff and the Norwegian corporate staff, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

I will tell you that I have fallen in love with cruising (only with Norwegian) and with the Getaway. I will be sailing on Her (ships are She's by the way) for 22 straight days in December and I can not wait.

Ask all the questions you want.

I will tell you one more thing I love about Studio cabins. They have a frosted glass window that lets light from the corridor shine through into the cabin. there are blinds AND shutters to make the cabin pitch black at night. I adjust both the blinds and the shutters so they allow enough light in to act as a nightlight but that no one can see in. You can only see shadows anyway.

Since this is new to you, in order to turn the lights on or the heating and air

conditioning, you need to put your room key into the slot by the door. Power does NOT work without something in the slot. You can not leave something plugged in to charge without a card of some sort in the slot (old credit card, library card).

Have a great cruise.

Mandy

WOW ! Mandy, you really are "The Man" ! This is wonderful info and yes, I will bring a card to plug that slot ! The last thing I need is an I-Brick !

It will be so nice to not have to sleep in a pitch black room ! Dear God, how I love light ! I always bring a night light because I hate walking into a dark room. If only I could bring my cat with me, nighttime would be truly sweet dreams !

I will be eagerly awaiting your cruise reviews and I'm going to search out your previous Getaway reviews right now.

Ooooo, I do wonder about the ropes course ! It is the dead last thing my family would think I'd do (fear of heights), so naturally, it will be the first thing I do. Is there a time of day that's best ? What about port days ?

And swimming pools ! I love to swim laps, usually between 6 & 7 AM. Which one is best for that ? Are they also open at night ?

Thank you so much !

Kristine

WOW ! Mandy, you really are "The Man" ! This is wonderful info and yes, I will bring a card to plug that slot ! The last thing I need is an I-Brick !

It will be so nice to not have to sleep in a pitch black room ! Dear God, how I love light ! I always bring a night light because I hate walking into a dark room. If only I could bring my cat with me, nighttime would be truly sweet dreams !

I will be eagerly awaiting your cruise reviews and I'm going to search out your previous Getaway reviews right now.

Ooooo, I do wonder about the ropes course ! It is the dead last thing my family would think I'd do (fear of heights), so naturally, it will be the first thing I do. Is there a time of day that's best ? What about port days ?

And swimming pools ! I love to swim laps, usually between 6 & 7 AM. Which one is best for that ? Are they also open at night ?

Thank you so much !

Kristine

(1) Ropes Course and Water Slides- lines much shorter on Port Days. Long stair climb to both.

(2) Pool is not really meant to swim laps- mostly play. Early morning would be better.

I love The Getaway. December will be my 8th, 9th and 10th cruise on Her. I do not usually write reviews except to answer people's questions like you.

Have fun and relax.

Mandy

Can not tell you about the coffee in the Lounge. First thing every morning 5:45 A.M., i head for the buffet and the huge coffee urns. Take my coffee to a window table and watch the sun rise, if it has not already.

I have been widow for a number of years now and will be 70 this Fall. I have celebrated several birthdays on board a Norwegian ship. Love it. Will be spending my second Christmas on board The Getaway as part of my 22 days on Her. I can not wait.

I'm so sorry for your loss, even if it was 'a number of years' ago. I seem to be crabbing about "me" time and you have had to deal with several years of unasked for "me" time !

And I'm so sorry for the confusion about your name ! I saw 'sports scores' and thought 'man' ! I never go by Kris ( I even made my parents call me by my full name !) so I thought Mandy was a man's name, like Mandy Patinkin from "Princess Bride".

I find out sunrise and sunset times-plus any astronomical events like meteor showers or eclipses-before I go on a cruise. No better place to see them than on the sea.

My family are all late sleepers (in nastily pitch black rooms) so a cruise is some place for me to really enjoy mornings. I pre pack my gear the night before and sneak out to the pool for my swim and then shower and dress for the day in the Thermal Suite. We were in one of those forward facing baconies on the Royal Princess so I'd swing past the pastry shop in the Lido buffet and pick up an Americano on my way to the pool. I LOVED the TS on the Royal Princess !! It was the best ! I plan on purchasing a Thermal Suite pass on the Getaway too.

My husband's birthday is December 21st and I've gotten into the habit of buying him his favorite vacation (a cruise!) for a birthday present, although this year he's getting Orlando, St Pete beach and Anna Maria Island ! It's been several years since we've been home for Christmas. I thought I would have a problem with that since I love to decorate Christmas trees-big and small in every room-but not yet. It might have something to do with snow, cold, and my dislike for both !

warm regards,

Kristine

Just an FYI, the wine machine is not included in the UBP. When the bartender is in the lounge, those drinks are included though.

Thanks for the good information ! What kind of drinks were available at the bartender tended bar ? Just wine and beer or did they have brandy and Bailey's ?

I did read your Solo thread while you were onboard ! Thanks !

They did have sign ups for dinner in the studio lounge and for shows too. I didn't do any of that as I was enjoying me time! But lots of people were there each nite.

I'm really happy to know that there's a sign up sheet for dinner when I want company. I really only had thought about the Burning up the Floor show. I heard it was very good. Did you see it ? Was there any other show you highly recommend ?

Kristine

As far as I remember it is a pretty well stocked bar - definitely not just beer & wine.

The coffee machine is like a huge espresso/cappuccino maker with the steamer & options for mochas and all. I'm a tea drinker so I only used it for hot water but during the day there would sometimes be an officer making their way through to get coffee so it's a good machine.

I'm really happy to know that there's a sign up sheet for dinner when I want company. I really only had thought about the Burning up the Floor show. I heard it was very good. Did you see it ? Was there any other show you highly recommend ?

Kristine

On the Breakaway, we met the first night but there was no official dinner scheduled for us but 5 of us decided to grab dinner together. Most every other night except I think a late port night, there was a time to meet up in the lounge for dinner. The solo coordinator had us sign up for dinner the last night as he was getting us a good table in the Manhattan Room. He also had sign ups for the shows & made reservations for anyone that signed up.

Thank you so much for the coffee maker news, it made my caffeinated heart skip a beat ! It sounds like more than I'd hoped for by a long shot. I had planned on bringing my decaf Constant Comment tea because I like a hot beverage before I sleep, and it sounds like I won't even have to visit the food court in my jammies for hot water !

Thanks,

Kristine

Kristine,

Thanks for posting your questions since it's helped me learn something about the Getaway and solo cruising.

I'm booked over Thanksgiving on the Getaway as my first cruise on Norwegian and looking forward to it. I'm also cruising solo, but not in the studio cabins since I have an oceanview cabin booked on Deck 5. I started cruising when my husband passed away 6 years ago as a way to travel alone, and do occasionally cruise with family members, but this Norwegian Getaway cruise I'll be doing alone.

Since I've never cruised on Norwegian, I have lots of questions and started reading the Norwegian boards hoping I'll find some answers before I start asking all the questions I have. So thanks for starting this thread since I know I'll learn a lot too. :)