Amsterdam - Main vs Dolphin Deck

Cruise NH

So we're trying to decide the 'best' deck for us on the Amsterdam. My lovely DH is a little over the top on noise...and worrying about the possibility of noise.

Looking at the deck plan, it would seem that the Main Deck would be quieter (no engine noise?) but they do have the promenade directly overhead. Can you hear walkers in the AM or chairs moving around?

Dolphin deck only has rooms above but do you get a lot of vibration and engine noise?

We would be looking at mid-ship so propeller noise wouldn't factor in I would think.

Anyway...I know this is somewhat subjective but what would you experienced HAL cruisers recommend?

I've never been lower than Main Deck on the S- and R-class ships, but sailed with friends who were on the lowest passenger deck. Never heard a peep of complaint about noise coming up from below, or even passing mention of it.

Immediately under that lowest passenger deck are storage areas, and other "busy" places, but not the engines.

Now, I don't know if the deck below the lowest passenger deck is the same on the Vista and Signature ships, but if it is, then it's quiet. I have stayed there on all those ships many times.

You shouldn't hear chairs being moved on Lower Promenade while you're sleeping, but might hear the pitter patter of clomping feet if you're in an outside cabin.

Main deck avoids any noise from work on the deck underneath dolphin deck. Rooms directly over center doors where loading is done will have chain like noises periodically when things are being taken aboard. On the port side that would be room 1894. Anything a little further forward on Dolphin, especially port side should be OK. Starboard side on Dolphin near the middle I believe is over the crew mess so could be some noise there. Don't know for sure.

Main deck will probably be quieter although you may hear some heavy footed walker and you probably will hear them washing down the promenade deck early in the morning. Neither is very loud or lasts very long. We've had both types of rooms on world cruises. We've asked for something on Dolphin for next year forward of 1890 on the port side but aft of the forwrad elevator. Think anything aft of the middle elevators on either side on Dolphin may give you more noise and vibration. One other thing on Dolphin, starboard side, you have a hallway that is sometimes used for the gangway. Don't have that hallway on the port side so we try to stay on that side.

Main deck is probably the safer choice since no guesswork about what is under you and the noise from above is probably more predictable and easier to get used to.

Hope this helps.

I have had 1840 and 2548 on the Amsterdam. In 2548 on Main Deck, I definitely heard walkers/runners above me. For the 17 days I was aboard, it was OK, but would not want to put up with that for weeks on end. 1840 was a very quiet and stable cabin. My home for 113 days and I did not want to leave. I'd book it or a neighboring cabin again.